Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hello,

I am looking to buy refurbished unit. Choices I have are:

Single quad core xeon E5440 @2.33
Dual xeon E5150 @2.66
Core2quad Q9100 @2.26

All with 4Gb RAM

I need to know which will be the fastest. I am running Vista Ultimate and moving to Windows 7 64-bit. My usage is Office, Quickbooks, Web Design, graphic and photo editing, Ableton Music and not forgetting watching movies on Youtube and such like.

Thanks is advance and my apologies if this question has been asked before.

Nashcom

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Just noticed a typo. It should be E5410 @2.33 and NOT E5440 - Sorry

Nashcom

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
They are all around £200-£250 mark. So, it is just a question of which processor setup would be fastest.

nna2

Distinguished
the dual xeon would be the fastest, but you would see no benefit from what you plan to do... but if their all the same price (pretty much) than that's what i would suggest

Nashcom

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Thanks nna2 for your quick reply. I had to disappear mowing the lawn. So, getting back, which processor would I derive the most performance gains. I see that Vista can support 2 CPUs. Do most other applications support 2 processors? or would I be better of running one of the others?

Thanks in advance.

nna2

Distinguished
i believe XP could support 32 cores so you should be alright, if you can get them for the same price, the dual xeon will have the most power... but it's really only useful in very cpu intensive programs like video editing... there shouldn't really be an issue with support on the dual CPU side of things