Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to upgrade Motherboard and CPU

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2012 2:34:28 PM

With the new Z77 boards and Ivy Bridge, I would like to upgrade my Core 2 Quad q8300 and motherboard. Before I go out and buy them, I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade without loosing anything, and any tips on how to install it would be great.

What I plan on getting:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Intel 3570K
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2012 4:20:53 PM

Congrats on the upgrade, I think you will be happy with the new cpu and mb. You will need to backup any data or documents you have to an external hard disk or thumb drive. a fresh install of the OS will be necessary when switching motherboards. while your at it you may want to grab one of those 120 Gig SSD's for about $100 if you dont already have one since you will need to do a fresh OS install.

Gaphiltfish said:
With the new Z77 boards and Ivy Bridge, I would like to upgrade my Core 2 Quad q8300 and motherboard. Before I go
out and buy them, I would like to know if it is possible to upgrade without loosing anything, and any tips on how to install it would be great.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2012 5:17:26 PM

^+1 Agree!

New mobo & new CPU = fresh install.

And DO think about a Solid State Drive!

What about RAM? THe SB & IB CPU use dual-channel DDR3, I don't think your current does. May I suggest Corsair Vengance DDR3-1600 8GB (2x4GB) kit?

What video card? Power Supply? Case?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2012 6:57:04 PM

As long as you can transfer/fresh install your OS and it is not a OEM builder's then you wouldn't lose anything as long as you backup and follow all suggestions above.

Further information regarding your other components are pretty important to know as well.
m
l
April 30, 2012 12:26:08 AM

My other specs:
RAM : 4 X 2GB DDR3 PC3 10600
Case: Corsair Carbide 400R
PSU: BFG 550W Modular
GPU: ATI XFX 4890
2 X 500 GB hard drives. One of the hard drives is just storage for games and music and stuff. The other has Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and a lot of programs and stuff I've lost track of.
Thanks for all the help so far!
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2012 4:46:06 PM

Ok, it apperars that the RAM, GPU, and PSU will work with the upgrade.

Now a fresh install of the OS might not be required, but you should.

Anyway, there is a way around it, by "rolling back" ALL the drivers for your hardware before you do the upgrade, since MANY of the things will change, and the OS might have problems on the first boot of the new rig.

"Roll back" or uninstall the drivers for hardware, but not for "other" hardware like keyboards, mouse, monitor, or printer (things outside the case).
May 14, 2012 11:18:34 PM

Best answer selected by Gaphiltfish.
m
l
!