HD 6870 Problem

Hello tom's hardware community. I have a weird problem with my HD 6870, every time I boot up my PC I get these artifacts all over my screen, but once I underclock or overclock the clock speed/memory speed/voltage of the card, all of those artifacts disappear o_O. I am on 12.1 drivers right now and I have tried reverting back to older drivers but that didn't fix the problem. My RAM has no problems according to memtest and my CPU is probably fine too. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks

PC SPECS
Biostar A770E3 Motherboard
8GB Corsair XMS3 RAM
AMD Phenom II X4 925
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870(Non reference model)
Corsair CX500 500w PSU
13 answers Last reply
More about 6870 problem
  1. It's a bad card. If overvolting fixes it, the clocks are too aggressive, if underclocking fixes it, it doesn't have enough voltage. All around it sounds like they sent you a card they did not fully test at stock before sending out. Bad QA/QC.
  2. So does this mean I have to RMA the card?
  3. If you absolutely don't want to you already found your solution (overvolt/underclock) but i honestly would RMA as the card doesn't run at it's rated specs. If you decide to keep it and underclock/overvolt, you may have a problem pop up after the warranty expires (or before and they may not accept it due to you having to overvolt to use it)
  4. Alright, I have contacted Sapphire. By the way, when I'm viewing .MP4/.MPEG video formats, I also get these artifacts occurring and when underclock/overclock using programs such as Catalyst Control Center and MSI Afterburner, it does not get rid of the artifacts, only Sapphire Trixx does. Any thoughts on that?
  5. I see. Sounds like it's more than just bad voltage at those settings, probably bad ROPs or something failing within the gpu so it's a good idea to replace it.
  6. Alright, Thanks for your help, I'm gonna replace it.
  7. Hope you have better luck with the next one :) they're great cards.
  8. I also agree. It's a bad card and likely to get worse.
  9. Alright, thanks for your help guys
  10. By the way, Sapphire RMA any good? Just needed to know before I send this out
  11. phillipletaco said:
    By the way, Sapphire RMA any good? Just needed to know before I send this out

Sorry for the late response, depending on where you bought the card, you can have an easier RMA with the company you bought from (Newegg, amazon, ect.) but Sapphire isn't too bad, you just might wait a little longer on the return.
  12. It's alright, and Althon Micro is processing my RMA right now. Can't wait for the new card to come :D
  13. phillipletaco said:
    It's alright, and Althon Micro is processing my RMA right now. Can't wait for the new card to come :D

Good to know :)
    Enjoy!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Tom's Hardware HD Graphics