3 Monitor Eyefinity Setup Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkelley9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hello all. I am sorry to start another Eyefinity setup issue thread :( but I just cannot find an answer with my current hardware setup. I'll describe exactly what hardware I'm using and what I've tried below and if you see anything wrong please let me know! :D

Video Card:
XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB
(2) DVI ports
(1) HDMI port
(2) Mini-Displayports

Monitors/Hardware:
Asus VH242H (Plugged in DVI)
Asus VH236H (Plugged in Mini-DP with an HDMI -> Mini-DP adapter (passive adapter to my knowledge))
Asus VH236H (Plugged in Mini-DP with an HDMI -> Mini-DP adapter (passive adapter to my knowledge))

I have looked into it via google and supposedly I should not need an active displayport adapter since I am using DVI and two mini-DP ports and not the DVI+HDMI+(1)mini-dp port configuration since from what I've understood the DVI and HDMI share a bridge or something? But I avoided this by using only 1 DVI port and both the mini-DP's.

When I go into CCC and try to create a desktop "group" it only lets me select 2x1 or 1x2 configuration and does not let me do 3x1 or 1x3. It detects all 3 monitors, but I am unable to use/select more than 2 at a time.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I am tres confused :pt1cable:

Thanks!

jkelley9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Okay, so it looks like with this setup that I will need an active single-link mini-dp to DVI-D adapter. But these things are like $30 from what I can see online. Are there any stores that I can buy one of these things from? I've checked with a few retail stores and it doesn't look like they have any. I'd rather not wait another few days.

Or is there an alternate configuration in which I won't need an active displayport adapter but still get 3 monitors and eyefinity working?

Thanks for the input :)

jkelley9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I think I read where I can use a mini-dp to VGA (D-sub) adapter because it doesn't use the hardware something-or-other that the DVI does. I will probably just fork out the $30 though instead of the $15 for one of these since basically it sounds like the other two monitors will be brought down to d-sub quality (which isn't took large a concern since I will only be running in 3x1920x1080 and not any higher resolutions)

Can anyone confirm if this is true tho?

larkspur

Distinguished

If it is an ACTIVE mini-dp -> VGA then yes no problem. The reason I suggested the DVI is that it is a digital signal and is generally preferred over VGA. Just make sure it is ACTIVE.

jkelley9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

I don't live in marietta anymore :( I live in Columbia, SC. I really miss having a Fry's and Micro Center just minutes away lol. I can't seem to find any large retail computer parts stores here :(

Oh ok. I just thought I read that I can avoid an "activated" adapter if I went with dp -> vga. But it may also have to be active, which would copmletely be counterproductive at that point if I went with the vga adapter.

I guess I will have to buy an active displayport adapter then, does anyone know where I can find one < $30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS