Shutter Lag

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 27, 2005 9:10:18 PM

Hi,

I am looking to purchase one of the following.

Can anyone give me any comments about any of theses cameras, especially
concerning Shutter lag.

Canon Ixus 700

Canon Ixus 50

Canon Powershot S70

Thanks

More about : shutter lag

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:03:36 AM

In article <fzD+GfAqTCwCFwyp@nospam.demon.co.uk>,
nospam <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to purchase one of the following.
>
> Can anyone give me any comments about any of theses cameras, especially
> concerning Shutter lag.
>
> Canon Ixus 700
>
> Canon Ixus 50
>
> Canon Powershot S70
>

> Thanks

The lag is caused by not having dedicated focusing and metering
hardware. You'll probably need an SLR for fast response.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:56:54 AM

"nospam" <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to purchase one of the following.
>
> Can anyone give me any comments about any of theses cameras, especially
> concerning Shutter lag.
>
> Canon Ixus 700
>
> Canon Ixus 50
>
> Canon Powershot S70
>

> Thanks

Probably massive lag on all of them...
June 28, 2005 11:25:22 AM

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> In article <fzD+GfAqTCwCFwyp@nospam.demon.co.uk>,
> nospam <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking to purchase one of the following.
>>
>> Can anyone give me any comments about any of theses cameras,
>> especially concerning Shutter lag.
>>
>> Canon Ixus 700
>>
>> Canon Ixus 50
>>
>> Canon Powershot S70
>>

>> Thanks
>
> The lag is caused by not having dedicated focusing and metering
> hardware. You'll probably need an SLR for fast response.

... although the Nikon 8400 does better than many point-and-shoot cameras
as it has a dual-sensor auto-focus system, and does not rely solely on
contrast detection on the imaging sensor.

David
June 28, 2005 1:18:02 PM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> > In article <fzD+GfAqTCwCFwyp@nospam.demon.co.uk>,
> > nospam <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am looking to purchase one of the following.
> >>
> >> Can anyone give me any comments about any of theses cameras,
> >> especially concerning Shutter lag.
> >>
> >> Canon Ixus 700
> >>
> >> Canon Ixus 50
> >>
> >> Canon Powershot S70
> >>

> >> Thanks
> >
> > The lag is caused by not having dedicated focusing and metering
> > hardware. You'll probably need an SLR for fast response.
>
> .. although the Nikon 8400 does better than many point-and-shoot cameras
> as it has a dual-sensor auto-focus system, and does not rely solely on
> contrast detection on the imaging sensor.

Shutter lag on our S2 IS (with continuous focus enabled)
is virtually non-existant. One of the formal reviews
measured it at something like 7 hundreths of a second.
!