Sign in with
Your question

Computer Won't Turn On

Last response: in Components
August 12, 2012 10:46:19 AM

Hi. First post here, hoping someone can help me find the problem with my computer.

I build my current computer about a year and a half ago and have had no hardware problems. However yesterday I transported it roughly an hour away as I will be living here for a while (it has been transported many times before but never issues beyond loose connectors). Upon arrival I found it would not start up at all. I unplugged and plugged back in every connector and there was still no sign of power to any component. There are no fans or sound that startup and the only apparent difference of being plugged in is a very faint high pitched noise in the PSU while plugged in.

I assumed the PSU was dead and went to a local computer parts shop to buy a new one. I had my tower in the car so I brought it in so that someone in their repair department could confirm it was the PSU. He said that it looked like it was but I asked him to try powering it on with a different PSU and it still failed to start. After putting my own PSU back in, however, the CPU fan ran for about a second then shut down again.

I returned home not knowing what the issue was and completely disassembled the tower then reassembled it. To my delight it started up without issue, although my BIOS settings and Date/Time had been defaulted. I plugged the rest of the accessories in and used the computer for about an hour without problem. Then, upon hitting the windows key (probably just coincidental timing) it shut back down and will not started back up.

I have tried reassembling it again but still won't turn back on. I have no idea what the issue could be. If it was the motherboard why would it work perfectly once? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

More about : computer turn

August 13, 2012 3:52:00 AM

I can now get the computer to stay on for 5-10 minutes before shutting off. I already cleaned the heat sink and reapplied thermal paste so I don't think it's an overheating issue.

Is anyone able to help me?
m
l
!