Sign in with
Your question

CF 6870 1GB / Grey screen w/ vertical lines

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2012 10:41:00 PM

Hi guys,

Getting a grey/white screen with vertical lines when browsing the web and when playing games. Seems to lock up computer entirely, necessitating a hard shut down. Event logs show no warnings/errors leading up to the crashes, and the info events don't seem to indicate any one service, program, etc. triggering it. CPU and card temps seem to be fine (monitoring via RealTemp & GPU-Z logging.) In any case, doesn't seem to be an overheating problem since it happens in 2D mode as well, when web browsing.

Components are somewhat old, aside from the video cards...

Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit with latest updates
ASUS VW246H 1920x1080
Silverstone Fortress FT01
ASUS P7P55D-E mobo
8GB (4x2GB) Kingston HyperX 1333MHz (timings 9-9-24)
Core i7 860 @ 2.93GHz (no OC aside from Intel's TurboBoost)
1TB WD Caviar Black
2x Visiontek 6870 1GB in Crossfire
Silverstone ST75F 750w modular

Fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit.

What I've done so far:

Uninstalled and reinstalled latest Catalyst drivers (12.1).
Cleaned out case via compressed air.
Installed the latest version of Flash player (who knows? didn't work)
Full scan of hard drive using CHKDSK (check for bad sectors). 0 file system and bad sectors found.
2 full passes of Memtest86, 0 errors found.

Now, I suspect it's probably a bad video card, probably my main card. I say that because of some observations relating to Crossfire when on and off.

With Crossfire ON: I get the grey screen w/ vertical lines in 2D mode (web browsing), but when I play 3D games, it freezes on 1 frame instead of displaying a grey screen w/ vertical lines.

With CrossFire OFF: same grey screen freeze in 2D AND 3D mode.

This makes me think that with Crossfire on and in 3D mode, the 2nd card is rendering a frame (via AFR) and then its the main card's turn to render a frame, but it crashes, leaving the frame rendered by the 2nd card still on screen. In 2D mode, only the main card is being used, resulting in the grey screen freeze.

With Crossfire off, the main card is rendering the frames all the time, hence the grey screen crash in both 2D and 3D.

I am going to try switching out the cards: removing the main card and putting the 2nd card in, making it the main card. And see if I can play games/browse the web without a grey screen freeze.

If you've read this far, thanks! Any suggestions are appreciated.

More about : 6870 1gb grey screen vertical lines

February 21, 2012 11:06:00 PM

Hi :) 

I had this problem with a HD 6790. The community told me to RMA the GPU. I am still waiting for it but I suggest you to do the same.
m
l
February 21, 2012 11:26:16 PM

Howdy,

I also think your card is toast. One thing to try is to underclock the GPU and RAM by 50%. This would test if the chip is functional at a specific freq vs the default (maybe it should have been binned lower or failed QA).
m
l
March 19, 2013 10:27:09 AM

I'm getting the same problem with the XFX 6790
m
l
!