Express Card as Graphics Card, a good choice?

Xelight

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Hello everyone I have a 18 months old HP Pavilion dv7t 17.3 inch Notebook.

The graphics card of this notebook is very weak, not enough to use its widescreen 1600x900 resolution on recent games, I usually have to tune it down alot to properly play anything. It also overheats alot while I have added USB Fans holded by a metal frame beneath the notebook (which already helps alot on the long runs).

This notebook is equipped with a 54x75 ExpressCard slot. I'd like to use this to create a remote PCI-Express graphics card slot or fit in a graphics card into this.

The goal I am trying to reach is beeing able to play modern games on 1600x900 resolution without lag on average graphics quality. (currently 800x600 or 1024x768 on very low graphics quality). Either the mobility must remain or the bought hardware must be plug and play. I do not want to buy half a computer.

I have heard that this is possible but do not have any experience with it nor do I not know anyone who does. So everything you can tell me is appreciated.

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Laptops aren't meant to be upgraded much.

I also do not believe that is possible for starters there is no way to get video output to your laptop screen.

And it will also overheat even more-so.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
I haven't heard of any express card graphics and they are USB.
According to the specs on you laptop, you had a choice of graphics when you purchased it:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do;HHOJSID=nXg3PGxhTrrntCvTj1B2DtX27ph426pLjdP50TJTBWkT6Sv6VGLf!-1340018256?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Intel+processors&v1=Intel+2nd+gen+Core&series_name=dv7t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/Intel_2nd_gen_Core/dv7t_series

I'm guessing those are soldered to the motherboard so not much you can do except call HP and ask.

Wolfshadw

Titan
The problem with PCExpressCard slots is the bandwidth. They are limited to PCI-Ex1. This is why products like the ASUS XG Station (google it) never made it to prime time. You just couldn't get the performance of a high-end graphics card to work through the limited bandwidth.

-Wolf sends