Sign in with
Your question

Video cards with three display support (VGA, DVI, HDMI)

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • HDMI
  • VGA DVI
  • Graphics
  • Product
  • Displays
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2012 1:34:32 AM

Apologies if this has already been answered.

I am looking for a card that can drive three displays. More specifically, I need a card that can output on VGA, DVI, and HDMI simultaneously. I need to use the DVI output as my primary display and I need to mirror the HDMI and VGA outputs and use those as my secondary display. I would like to buy the cheapest card that will do this.

I am under the impression that a Radeon 6450 with the three outputs (VGA, DVI, HDMI) will do the job but I just want to confirm that before I buy it. Thanks.

More about : video cards display support vga dvi hdmi

a c 365 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 4:24:39 AM

The only cards the can output to 3 monitors are Radeon HD cards with Eyefinity. Eyefinity requires a card with the following outputs: DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort.

Basically all video cards have a single video output signal processor that can only output two video signals. This signal processor sends video signals to the DVI, HDMI, and VGA ports. Since only two separate signals can be sent by the processor only two of those three ports can be used at the same time.

DisplayPort uses a separate signal processor that is exclusive only to DisplayPort. This is why Eyefinity compatible cards can output to three monitors.

Basically if you want to use 3 monitors and none of them has a DisplayPort connection, you will need to buy two Radeon HD 6450s.
m
l
February 22, 2012 4:34:32 AM

hey steamroller16,
the best card that has those ports that can run 3 monitors simultaneously is the powercolor Radeon HD 6770. I have one of these running 3 monitors at once at the moment. Here is a link to save you from finding places to buy it from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
February 22, 2012 4:54:43 PM

jaguarskx said:
The only cards the can output to 3 monitors are Radeon HD cards with Eyefinity. Eyefinity requires a card with the following outputs: DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort.

Basically all video cards have a single video output signal processor that can only output two video signals. This signal processor sends video signals to the DVI, HDMI, and VGA ports. Since only two separate signals can be sent by the processor only two of those three ports can be used at the same time.

DisplayPort uses a separate signal processor that is exclusive only to DisplayPort. This is why Eyefinity compatible cards can output to three monitors.

Basically if you want to use 3 monitors and none of them has a DisplayPort connection, you will need to buy two Radeon HD 6450s.

Thank you for the reply.

This is what I thought also but I checked the AMD specifications page for the Radeon HD 6450 and it states:

AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology1
* Native support for up to 3 simultaneous displays
o Up to 4 displays supported with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport
* Independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
* Display grouping
o Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display

But most of the 6450 cards don't have DisplayPort outputs on them like you mentioned. Also, the card that mynameisbob has linked to does not have a DisplayPort output and he is able to run three monitors. I'm not sure what to make of this. Could you explain what I am missing here.
m
l
Related resources
!