Resolution Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotFuzz24

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hey Everyone,

New to posting here, but I have a problem that is driving me nuts.

I just set up a new Asus ML228 monitor (21.5 inches I believe), and it has a max/native resolution of 1920 x 1080. Problem is, when I set it to that resolution (which it defaults to), it A: doesn't fill up the entire screen, leaving at least 1.5 inches on the table, B: looks quite blurry, especially text, and C: doesn't allow me to adjust the screen size to stretch it the display (it doesn't let me do that on any resolution, no clue why...). If I set the resolution to 1650 x 1050, it fills the entire screen and looks great. But I kinda want what I thought I was getting, which is a higher resolution.

My card is a Radeon 5970, which I believe supports a maximum resolution of at least 1920 x 1080. I've tried messing around in the catalyst control center with no luck. Anyone know what's up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

HotFuzz24

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Oh, as a sidenote, I'm using HDMI. Maybe things would improve if I switched to the DVI cable, but wondering if anyone knows of a solution that lets me keep HDMI. Thanks.

HDMI adds nothing but audio, and most monitors have very crappy speakers (if any) so it's no big deal. Get some nice desktop speakers like the M-Audio AV30 of AV40's.

HDMI comes in two types:
a) HDMI-Video
b) HDMI-PC

HDMI-Video is most common. It's what you have on TV's. If so, you can't simply choose 1920x1080 like normal you have to use the HDTV settings. This may be part of your problem.

HDMI-PC is simply DVI+ audio.

HDMI from graphics cards only provides certain audio codecs, such as MP3 or Dolby Digital. You don't get Windows or Game sounds. If you want game sounds you have to use your normal audio output from the motherboard or add-on sound card. Ignore HDMI completely. I plugged my CABLE into my monitor and can switch inputs, but HDMI is basically useless for computers.

Let me solve a bunch of issues for you:
1) use DVI
2) use 1920x1080 (or the maximum native resolution)
3) Increase text size (DPI) by up to 25% or so
4) get an addon to Firefox or Chrome to autosize web pages to the best size (manually can use CTRL-mouse scroll.)
5) install the MONITOR DRIVERS if not done, this adds important color and refresh settings (your monitor name shows up, otherwise it says "generic monitor")
6) "enable GPU scaling" (check this. it causes the graphics card to always send out a 1920x1080 signal to the monitor regardless of what a game may be at. The card is usually more reliable at scaling than a monitor.)

Catalyns Control Center (CCC)->My digital Flat Panel->Properties

7) use EDID (display color). It uses the proper color rather than a generic palette. Without EDID the colors may be too vibrant, such as red faces.

8) disable all the "Advanced Video Color" options such as Flesh Tone Correction. It really messes up video. It made my movies look washed-out and grainy. It's only applied if you have hardware acceleration enabled for video which is quite common now.

9) Video programs like VLC, or Media Player Classic HC (added with K-Lite Codec Pack) have hardware acceleration options. If it's disabled the video is processed by the CPU. You can easily Google this.

10) Your MONITOR can scale. Usually you want to keep the ratio. It shouldn't matter though if you have the graphics card already scaling to 1920x1080 using the "enable GPU scaling" option since the monitor has no need to alter that as it already fits.

11) Carefully with the MONITOR color, brightness and contrast. It's usually best to stick with defaults. I altered the contrast and my greys turned PINK.

*AMD seems to change settings with driver updates. I was watching a video and it looked screwed up so I went and turned OFF the above settings and all was good. Shame on AMD for adding these on by default as they simply don't work.

**I recommend you print this off. It's very easy not to get the correct settings.

HotFuzz24

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Thanks a lot guys. The catalyst control center fix worked, would never have located that on my own. And I didn't realize HDMI only added audio and does nothing for video. I have speakers already, so I guess I should have just used DVI to begin with...

Status
Not open for further replies.