Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k or i5 3570k

Last response: in CPUs
August 12, 2012 3:57:35 PM

Hello, I am about to buy a new computer and I'm wondering whether I should buy the 2500k or the 3570k. I'm also buying a Noctua nh-d14. The i5 2500k is priced at 229 and the i5 3570k at 239. I know that i5 3570k overclocks worse than a i5 2500k because of the incredible ammount of heat produced. The integrated graphics doesn't consern me.

To the question; What would be best to buy for future gaming?

More about : 2500k 3570k

August 12, 2012 4:10:19 PM

*heat produced at high voltage
a c 78 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 4:24:37 PM

For gaming, get whatever is cheaper. Theres no advantage of the 3570K for "future gaming". Yes the Ivy Bridge has PCI 3.0 support, but by the time thats really relevant, it will be time to start thinking about a new CPU/mobo which will have 3.0 anyway. Don't try to "future proof" beyond 4 years, its a waste of money.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 316 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 4:29:59 PM

I vote for the 3570K.
At equal clock rates, the 3570K is about 5% faster.
It will overclock decently, at least until you need to push the voltage so high that the heat density becomes a problem.
With the most excellent NH-D14 as a cooler in a decently ventilated case, there should be no problem, at least for any sane overclock. In the mean time, at normal operating levels, it will run cooler.

As an anecdotal example, I run my 3570K at 4.3 with absolutely no heat issues.

For games, at least most of them, you will run out of graphics power long before the 3570K runs out of compute power.
August 12, 2012 4:32:04 PM

I was about to make the some topic !
So,You suggest I5-2500k over I5-3570k for upgrading from a C2D cpu (in case of me) ?

EDIT: the two reply made more confused than before :( 
a c 78 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 4:36:47 PM

I don't think it really matters which way you go. I personally would lean towards the side of cheaper, no matter how small the price difference is. You'll get different opinions depending on who you ask, as you can see from geofelt. You'll have to draw your own conclusion. There really isn't a "wrong" answer to the question. 5% isn't a real difference in terms of real world scenarios, the difference is in benchmarks only.
August 12, 2012 4:42:56 PM

3570k.
my 3770k is OC to 4.5ghz with no problem. temps are stable.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2012 4:43:02 PM

You would see no difference whatsoever. Both CPUs are far more powerful than you need, even with high-end GPU set ups.

If at some point in the future a graphics card is produced that actually needs the power provided by either of these CPUs, performance is pretty much a wash. The IB's worse overclocking ability cancels out its better IPC performance. IB would give you slightly better performance at stock and for this reason alone I would favour it over the SB.

IB has the theoretical advantage that it can access PCIe 3.0 but we're some years away from seeing a graphics card that actually needs it.
a c 78 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 4:49:49 PM

There is one thing the IB does substantially better than SB that should be mentioned. If you do a lot of media encoding, IB's QuickSync allows you to convert videos into other formats about 30% faster than SB. So if you do a lot of that, you might consider the IB, but its not like SB won't do the job for you.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2012 6:37:21 PM

I always go for the latest tech when I make a "big" jump :) . So, i suggest go Ivy
August 12, 2012 7:04:40 PM

Would Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H work well with I5-3570K ?? all will be fine ?!
Or what other do you suggest ?
nekulturny said:
There really isn't a "wrong" answer to the question. 5% isn't a real difference in terms of real world scenarios, the difference is in benchmarks only.

+1
a c 78 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 7:08:00 PM

That would work fine yes, although I'm not a big fan of Gigabyte. This is based on my experience with their customer support and one dead motherboard, so to be completely fair, you should know my bias against them. My situation was probably 1 in 1000 of happening, and could have easily been duplicated with any of the other motherboard manufacturers out there.

At any rate, this board is what I'd suggest, it has Tom's Hardware seal of approval just like that Gigabyte board, and its a couple bucks cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 12, 2012 7:10:33 PM

I'd get the 3570k, ok its not massively different to the 2500k but it is better and not that much dearer.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2012 7:23:07 PM

nekulturny said:
That would work fine yes, although I'm not a big fan of Gigabyte. This is based on my experience with their customer support and one dead motherboard, so to be completely fair, you should know my bias against them. My situation was probably 1 in 1000 of happening, and could have easily been duplicated with any of the other motherboard manufacturers out there.

At any rate, this board is what I'd suggest, it has Tom's Hardware seal of approval just like that Gigabyte board, and its a couple bucks cheaper.

Ive had issues with Gigabyte in the past too, now i stick to ASUS and MSI, but i really do like the MSI range of boards for there aesthetics, i know its a strange reason for a mobo choice but it matters to me, heres an excellent Z77 board.

a c 78 à CPUs
August 12, 2012 7:31:55 PM

Yea, well, I wonder if any of the other companies have bad customer support too. The difference is with Asus, is I haven't had to deal with em. I worked in a call center briefly once. Its a miserable job with high turnover. They always told us to apologize to the customer, even if they're a moron and the problem they're having is 100% their fault. And you know, after the Gigabyte situation, I had time to reflect. Good customer support really does make the difference.

Corsair for example, I've had to return products to them that were defective, but you know what? I still have no problem saying "yes sir, I highly recommend a Corsair TX series PSU for your high end gaming computer". Why? Because when I called them I got courteous service, from a friendly tech who gave me no hassle replacing my product, and apologized for the inconvenience. Empty words go along way.
August 12, 2012 7:43:36 PM

@nekulturny
Lol , actually what happened with me was the total opposite of you.I had a problem with my Gigabyte board before and went to their customer support and got it fixed in 2 days for a few bucks.

Lol again , i just found that GA-Z77X-D3H has also Tom’s Hardware’s Approved Award.Well, Just 10$ difference in price for ASRock here in our retail shops.
My question now , For what is Tom’s Hardware’s Approved Award given ? xD
a c 78 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 1:36:14 AM

Yea, like I said, it could have happened with any company, to be fair.

As far as what gets Tom's approval, they test the boards out, check out the features, overclock a CPU on em, see how well it does, and compare it to other mobos and see if its a good value for the price, basically like any other review site.

August 13, 2012 1:34:07 PM

nekulturny said:
Yea, like I said, it could have happened with any company, to be fair.

As far as what gets Tom's approval, they test the boards out, check out the features, overclock a CPU on em, see how well it does, and compare it to other mobos and see if its a good value for the price, basically like any other review site.

Thanks a lot for the help :) 
!