Tune-up Tweak utility for 98, XP and 2grand

Stephen

I found this fabulous product, Tune-Up Utilities 2004. I run it on XP Home
and can't believe how righteous this thing is. It solves, with just a
couple of button clicks, a LOT of the "problems" I've been reading about on
this newsgroup. It has a thirty-day trial period. Here's the addy:
http://www.tune-up.com/

scope it out, THEN see if any mysteries remain!

Stoifan

zulu

You have no connection?

"Stephen" <Stephen@cambio.net> wrote in message
>I found this fabulous product, Tune-Up Utilities 2004. I run it on XP Home
>and can't believe how righteous this thing is. It solves, with just a
>couple of button clicks, a LOT of the "problems" I've been reading about on
>this newsgroup. It has a thirty-day trial period. Here's the addy:
> http://www.tune-up.com/
>
> scope it out, THEN see if any mysteries remain!
>
> Stoifan

Stephen

with the company? none whatever. In fact, I'm going to have to connive
registering my trial version as some sort of Christmas present from a
generous relative, if I intend to keep it after my month is over.

I'm assuming what I've "tweaked" will stay tweaked if Santa isn't that
generous this year. However, I have used quite a few such programs with
Win95, and I'm VERY touchy about my XP, 'cause if I screw this one up, I'll
be back to an analog existence, which gets me UP about this program, since
it is so friendly to my machine.

I was thinking, though, "what IF companies PAID you a finder's fee for
recommending stuff...oh, maybe that's AMWAY. yuk yuk

Stephen

zulu

.....and can I change the font used in >Display>Properties? with this
software?
(i.e. so that I can actually READ it?}

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> You have no connection?
>
> "Stephen" <Stephen@cambio.net> wrote in message
>>I found this fabulous product, Tune-Up Utilities 2004. I run it on XP
>>Home and can't believe how righteous this thing is. It solves, with just
>>a couple of button clicks, a LOT of the "problems" I've been reading about
>>on this newsgroup. It has a thirty-day trial period. Here's the addy:
>> http://www.tune-up.com/
>>
>> scope it out, THEN see if any mysteries remain!
>>
>> Stoifan

zulu

In that case, pardon my sceptism! :)

zulu wrote:
> You have no connection?
>
> "Stephen" <Stephen@cambio.net> wrote in message
>
>>I found this fabulous product, Tune-Up Utilities 2004. I run it on XP Home
>>and can't believe how righteous this thing is. It solves, with just a
>>couple of button clicks, a LOT of the "problems" I've been reading about on
>>this newsgroup. It has a thirty-day trial period. Here's the addy:
>>http://www.tune-up.com/
>>
>>scope it out, THEN see if any mysteries remain!
>>
>>Stoifan

If the OP were a spamming a$$hole, which is almost certain, do you think
he would tell you?

Stephen

Problem with that is, I'm not. Your civil tone is noted. It seems to be
the present clime within the good ol' U$A.

Stephen

BTW, If you'd prefer NOT to check out this program, DON'T. I would suggest,
however, you learn some manners. Don't tell me this plague of "spam"
entitles you to be rude.

Stephen

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I know it is a little late in the game, but do you have any performance
figures you could share with us? I always like to check my computers on a
site like http://www.pcpitstop.com to see if there is a measurable
performance increase with any of the tweaks that I do. Most of the
perceived increases that most of these types of programs use is shortening
the delay times for the menus to pop up and so on to just give you the
appearance that it is going faster...performance figures are less that 1%
better if that.

"Stephen" <Stephen@cambio.net> wrote in message
>I found this fabulous product, Tune-Up Utilities 2004. I run it on XP Home
>and can't believe how righteous this thing is. It solves, with just a
>couple of button clicks, a LOT of the "problems" I've been reading about on
>this newsgroup. It has a thirty-day trial period. Here's the addy:
> http://www.tune-up.com/
>
> scope it out, THEN see if any mysteries remain!
>
> Stoifan

Stephen

Sorry. My computer is a glorified typewriter. My perfomance numbers are in
wpm (words per minute) - I melted a Natural keyboard, once. Now I keep a
large fire extinquisher by the desk when I write.

The tweaks this has help people who aren't confident in, nor inclined toward
editing their registry. And, of course, for me the only regedit dealy-dos
I'm into have to do more with appearance than performance.

Being a novelist, and having written two books on a 1950s Royal (manual)
typewriter, MS Word is a bit of luxurious overkill that is so over the top
for what I do, I should be embarassed. I would be, too, if I weren't so
shameless.

If you're into high-speed processer tweaking and smacking around your TCP
so you can astrally enter the digi-world, something like Tron, this probably
isn't it. If you're just a person who'd rather not learn HOW a computer
works (computer scientist type) to get some work out of your computer, you'd
like this.

It cleans the registry, and defrags it. It accesses the more general
registry tweaks, like changing the start-up screen, with an icon changing
package, and a themes function, empties caches, and that sort of thing.

I hope this wasn't too obscure,

Stephen

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Cleaning out and defragging the registry is the second biggest measurable
software tweak I have found. To clean the registry, I use three tools,
RegClean, RegScrubXP and RegSeeker. To defrag the registry I use Diskeeper
and I have used SysInternal's pagedefragger. The biggest performance
increase I have found with software tweaks was enabling the Level 2 Cache on
the CPU...Windows ignores it all! Your L2 data cache is the fastest in your
computer, so ignoring it is the biggest crime of all. But the single most
performance boost I have ever seen, was replacing a hard drive from a 5400
RPM to a 7200 RPM drive and replacing an EIDE to a 10,000 RPM SATA drive.
You see, electrons travel at the speed of light and mechanical device
travels at somewhat a slower rate...speeding up the mechanical (hard drive)
devices, will get you a big boost in performance. Defragging the hard drive
is next in line...

<©¿©> wrote:
> I know it is a little late in the game, but do you have any performance
> figures you could share with us? I always like to check my computers on a
> site like http://www.pcpitstop.com to see if there is a measurable
> performance increase with any of the tweaks that I do. Most of the
> perceived increases that most of these types of programs use is shortening
> the delay times for the menus to pop up and so on to just give you the
> appearance that it is going faster...performance figures are less that 1%
> better if that.
>

> "Stephen" <Stephen@cambio.net> wrote in message
>
>>I found this fabulous product, Tune-Up Utilities 2004. I run it on XP Home
>>and can't believe how righteous this thing is. It solves, with just a
>>couple of button clicks, a LOT of the "problems" I've been reading about on
>>this newsgroup. It has a thirty-day trial period. Here's the addy:
>>http://www.tune-up.com/
>>
>>scope it out, THEN see if any mysteries remain!
>>
>>Stoifan

You're tradin' eights with a spammer, you moron.