Sign in with
Your question

Performance and compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2012 3:00:26 AM

hi there guys. it's my first time posting here in the forums so please do bare with me.

i'm planning to buy a new graphics card for my old computer. i'm wondering, what could be a good replacement for my 8800 GTX to play battlefield 3 on a resolution of 1920x1080 that is compatible with my old gaming rig that runs smooth and puts out really good gaming quality without getting any problems.

a lot of you might suggest me to just buy a new gaming rig. yes i'm planning to build one but it's not till the end of this year that i would assemble one. i'm just looking for a temporary replacement. i checked for some discussions regarding graphics card benchmarks for battlefiled 3 and the good cards range from GTX 295 - GTX 590.

running battlefield 3 on a 1920x1080 resolution with an 8800gtx is ok for me. although i run it on low settings. the fps is not that good but it's still manageable within my terms.

any suggestions would really help me. :D 

system specs :

Windows 7 32 bit
Asus Maximus II Formula
Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.4ghz
4 GB RAM
EVGA 8800 GTX
Seasonic M12 II 620w PSU
February 22, 2012 3:20:08 AM

Best you buy the 7970 if you want future proofing.
In the future you can add another one if the prices come down.
The problem with the gpu market is now that Nvidia hasnt come out with anything and its hard to recommend a gpu.With the new Nvidia Kepler we might be looking for a price drop in the gtx580s and 6970s so in my opinion its hard to say really.

But if you wanted best you buy a AMd 7970 that way you can add another one.Its newer technology and has more future proofing.

So later on you can add another Amd hd7970.

I myself am waiting to see if the Nvidia kepler would bring down prices of Fermi.That way i can buy dual gtx580s.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 3:38:10 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Graphics & Displays by Pyree
m
l
February 22, 2012 4:41:54 AM

@Pyree
sorry for posting on the wrong side of the forums sir. it won't happen again.

@ghnader
i heard about the new tech too that nvidia is planning to release. i have to probably research more on other cards aside from nvidia. but will those cards you mentioned have problems with my old board and processor? i read some articles here before that has something to do with bottlenecking.

thanks for the reply guys. so what you guys are probably suggesting is that i wait for the new releases and stay with my old card at the moment? about spending cash, it's not a problem on how much the card would cost, but if it will be compatible with my old system.
m
l
February 22, 2012 7:44:47 AM

001stormtrooper said:
@Pyree
sorry for posting on the wrong side of the forums sir. it won't happen again.

@ghnader
i heard about the new tech too that nvidia is planning to release. i have to probably research more on other cards aside from nvidia. but will those cards you mentioned have problems with my old board and processor? i read some articles here before that has something to do with bottlenecking.

thanks for the reply guys. so what you guys are probably suggesting is that i wait for the new releases and stay with my old card at the moment? about spending cash, it's not a problem on how much the card would cost, but if it will be compatible with my old system.

Yes it is true you would bottleneck because the gpu being soo fast.
But in the end you need to move the gpu to your new pc and you said you need something temporary.Why not buy the fastest single card out there for future use?That way you can use it for 3 years without disrupting performance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 8:26:52 AM

A C2Q very likely will not be able to keep up with anything ore than a GTX560Ti, so anything spent on a faster card (i.e. HD7970) is wasted. You are better off getting something like a GTX560Ti now, and picking up another one or getting a faster card once you have a new rig. By the time you can actually use the HD7970 at its full potential, it may be available for $300, making the extra $250 you spent getting it now pointless.
m
l
February 22, 2012 9:46:12 PM

ghnader and others. thank you very much for you honest opinions. you guys really helped me a lot. i'll see to it that your advices won't go to waste.

have a good one! :D 
m
l
!