Help needed with Nokia 6600

Last response: in Brands
May 1, 2004 5:31:07 PM

I have just brought a Nokia 6600 on O2 a couple of days ago and I am very
impressed with it especially the quality and size of the screen and the
quality of the camera.
I have only got used to the basic features of the phone and wondered if you
could give me some help.

I was wondering if you could tell me where I could download free ringtones
for the Nokia 6600 from?

How do I download ringtones? Do I use WAP or do I need to connect my phone
to my PC somehow?

What is the best method for downloading ringtones? At present I do not have
anyway to connect my 6600 to my PC, I could get a cable if they are
available so
that I could connect it to my PC.

What am I best doing to get the best out of my Nokia 6600 and downloading
ringtones?

I hope you understand what I am trying to say and I hope you are able to
help me.

I appreciate any help and information given.

Thanks in advance!

More about : needed nokia 6600

May 2, 2004 7:37:55 AM

"Neil Hindry" <neilhindry@_nospamthankyou_ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<40939a36$0$31703$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>...
> I have just brought a Nokia 6600 on O2 a couple of days ago and I am very
> impressed with it especially the quality and size of the screen and the
> quality of the camera.
> I have only got used to the basic features of the phone and wondered if you
> could give me some help.
>
> I was wondering if you could tell me where I could download free ringtones
> for the Nokia 6600 from?
>
> How do I download ringtones? Do I use WAP or do I need to connect my phone
> to my PC somehow?
>
> What is the best method for downloading ringtones? At present I do not have
> anyway to connect my 6600 to my PC, I could get a cable if they are
> available so
> that I could connect it to my PC.
>
> What am I best doing to get the best out of my Nokia 6600 and downloading
> ringtones?
>
> I hope you understand what I am trying to say and I hope you are able to
> help me.
>
> I appreciate any help and information given.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Hi,

To connect to your 6600 and PC, you may also consider to use a
data cable. you can find a usb data cable for your 6600 at
http://www.vavolo.com they cost $19 and $5 shipping, but i got a
coupon for $4.

you should choose USB data cables instead of serial data cables to
achieve higher transmission rate.

also you can use IR to connect, but i think iR is too slow for surfing
internet.

using wap is also possible, but personally i like to convert .wav and
..mp3 myself on my laptop, and download to my 7250, so i prefer data
cables.

i used the data cable for my 7250 and it works fine.

ashley

p.s. i got a coupon for vavolo.com $4, just enter 9016388333 while you
checkout, enjoy!
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 5:38:53 AM

"Ashley" <iawuis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Neil Hindry" <neilhindry@_nospamthankyou_ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > I have just brought a Nokia 6600 on O2 a couple of days ago and I am
very
> > impressed with it especially the quality and size of the screen and the
> > quality of the camera.
> > I have only got used to the basic features of the phone and wondered if
you
> > could give me some help.
> >
> > I was wondering if you could tell me where I could download free
ringtones
> > for the Nokia 6600 from?
> >
> > How do I download ringtones? Do I use WAP or do I need to connect my
phone
> > to my PC somehow?
> >
> > What is the best method for downloading ringtones? At present I do not
have
> > anyway to connect my 6600 to my PC, I could get a cable if they are
> > available so
> > that I could connect it to my PC.
> >
> > What am I best doing to get the best out of my Nokia 6600 and
downloading
> > ringtones?
> >
> > I hope you understand what I am trying to say and I hope you are able to
> > help me.
> >
> > I appreciate any help and information given.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> Hi,
>
> To connect to your 6600 and PC, you may also consider to use a
> data cable. you can find a usb data cable for your 6600 at
> http://www.vavolo.com they cost $19 and $5 shipping, but i got a
> coupon for $4.

How convenient.
Data cables for the 6600 are non-nokia items, since the 6600 does not have
proper connection ports. as such, proper PC Suite communication does not
function .. also the cables are ugly and hard to use (you have to remove the
battery every time you wish to plug in or un-plug the cable, and the battery
sits inside the cable, making the phone cumbersome and hard to hold.

> you should choose USB data cables instead of serial data cables to
> achieve higher transmission rate.

Irrelevant .. 99% of phone data transfer is both small and the phone itself
rarely communicates at anywhere near the serial maximum rate

> also you can use IR to connect, but i think iR is too slow for surfing
> internet.

IR is serial port limited, which is 112kb/sec, where a dialup modem is
56kb/sec .. So your phone in theory can communciate via IR at up to twice
the speed of dialup .. plenty enough for any surfing you plan to do ..

Even at 9600, web surfing on the phone would hardly be loading many images
or even much text, so this speed os more than adequate.

> using wap is also possible, but personally i like to convert .wav and
> .mp3 myself on my laptop, and download to my 7250, so i prefer data
> cables.

WAP works fine, but is expensive. Theres a lot of sites out there that have
pre-converted files for use as ringtones tho.

The 6600 also supports bluetooth, and would be by far the best connection
method. Get a cheap USB WIDCOMM based bluetooth adapter (cheap on ebay and
other places), get the cracked belkin drivers for it, and your rocking with
a totally wireless link up, with no issues at all.

> i used the data cable for my 7250 and it works fine.
>
> ashley
>
> p.s. i got a coupon for vavolo.com $4, just enter 9016388333 while you
> checkout, enjoy!
May 3, 2004 9:03:12 AM

"Neil Hindry" <neilhindry@_nospamthankyou_ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<40939a36$0$31703$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>...

> What is the best method for downloading ringtones? At present I do not have
> anyway to connect my 6600 to my PC, I could get a cable if they are
> available so
> that I could connect it to my PC.

Technological cables for these phones doesn't suit for the data
synchronization purposes. The only way to connect this phone is to use
Bluetooth adaptor with Widcomm-based drivers (D-Link, Tecom, MSI or
some other Widcomm capable device) or IRDA compatible IR port.

You can try Oxygen Phone Manager for Symbian phones (
http://www.opm-2.com/symbian ) for the ringtone management.

With best regards! Oxygen Software
http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk
support@oxygensoftware.com
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 8:29:39 PM

"Neil Hindry" <neilhindry@_nospamthankyou_ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht
> I have just brought a Nokia 6600 on O2 a couple of days ago and I am very
> impressed with it especially the quality and size of the screen and the
> quality of the camera.
> I have only got used to the basic features of the phone and wondered if
you
> could give me some help.
>
> I was wondering if you could tell me where I could download free ringtones
> for the Nokia 6600 from?
>
> How do I download ringtones? Do I use WAP or do I need to connect my phone
> to my PC somehow?
>
> What is the best method for downloading ringtones? At present I do not
have
> anyway to connect my 6600 to my PC, I could get a cable if they are
> available so
> that I could connect it to my PC.
>
> What am I best doing to get the best out of my Nokia 6600 and downloading
> ringtones?
>
> I hope you understand what I am trying to say and I hope you are able to
> help me.

I use the programm "PC File Manager" from Epocware. With this program
installed on my PC, I can even copy, cut and paste from explorer to the
Nokiua 6600.
!