Please recommend a good digital camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 27, 2005 4:31:03 PM

I have never used a digital camera. I would like to buy one now with
5-7 MP resolution. I want it to be small (easy to travel with), have
oversized LCD screen (at least 2 inches), and provide good enough
quality for normal, non-professional use with shapr/crips pictures
(i.e., if I print 5 by 7 inch photos, I want them to look very good).

Initially, I thought I would buy Sony DSC-W7 which seems to satisfy the
above criteria. However, I read some negative reviews of it on Amazon
that some of the pictures are not good and the performance inside is
bad, etc.

I looked at Canon SD410 and SD500 as alternatives, but I also read some
comments that these cameras are not very reliable and have problems
after the warranty period is out.

My impression was that other firms like Nokon, Casio, Pentax, etc. are
not as cutting edge as Sony and Canon. What do you guys think? What
camera can you recommend?

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:50:36 PM

success_ny@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have never used a digital camera. I would like to buy one now with
> 5-7 MP resolution. I want it to be small (easy to travel with), have
> oversized LCD screen (at least 2 inches), and provide good enough
> quality for normal, non-professional use with shapr/crips pictures
> (i.e., if I print 5 by 7 inch photos, I want them to look very good).
>
> Initially, I thought I would buy Sony DSC-W7 which seems to satisfy the
> above criteria. However, I read some negative reviews of it on Amazon
> that some of the pictures are not good and the performance inside is
> bad, etc.
>
> I looked at Canon SD410 and SD500 as alternatives, but I also read some
> comments that these cameras are not very reliable and have problems
> after the warranty period is out.
>
> My impression was that other firms like Nokon, Casio, Pentax, etc. are
> not as cutting edge as Sony and Canon. What do you guys think? What
> camera can you recommend?
>
> Thanks.

You will have a lot of good choices and there are a lot of things to
consider. Think about the zoom range you would like have, for me I
really wanted a good short end to the range but also a fairly good
telephoto. Thing about What shutter lag you are willing to deal with,
less lag is always way more fun.

Are you going to be using indoors with available light? If you are
going to be using it with a flash do you want to be able to use an
external flash, this can greatly extend the range of your flash photos
as well as making the photos look much better.

What is your budget? If you can spend a bit of money don't rule out
a DSLR, you can get a Canon 350D for less then $1000.

Take you time and really do your research, real lots of reviews and
look at a lot of the test photos.

Here are three good sites that have reviews on just about all the
cameras out there.
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Scott
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 5:04:35 PM

To be pricise: I want to find the best camera for the money - under
$450. Can someone suggest something specific? Saying "all cameras are
good" does not help me much.

success_ny@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have never used a digital camera. I would like to buy one now with
> 5-7 MP resolution. I want it to be small (easy to travel with), have
> oversized LCD screen (at least 2 inches), and provide good enough
> quality for normal, non-professional use with shapr/crips pictures
> (i.e., if I print 5 by 7 inch photos, I want them to look very good).
>
> Initially, I thought I would buy Sony DSC-W7 which seems to satisfy the
> above criteria. However, I read some negative reviews of it on Amazon
> that some of the pictures are not good and the performance inside is
> bad, etc.
>
> I looked at Canon SD410 and SD500 as alternatives, but I also read some
> comments that these cameras are not very reliable and have problems
> after the warranty period is out.
>
> My impression was that other firms like Nokon, Casio, Pentax, etc. are
> not as cutting edge as Sony and Canon. What do you guys think? What
> camera can you recommend?
>
> Thanks.
June 27, 2005 5:51:01 PM

<success_ny@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have never used a digital camera. I would like to buy one now with
> 5-7 MP resolution. I want it to be small (easy to travel with), have
> oversized LCD screen (at least 2 inches), and provide good enough
> quality for normal, non-professional use with shapr/crips pictures
> (i.e., if I print 5 by 7 inch photos, I want them to look very good).
>
> Initially, I thought I would buy Sony DSC-W7 which seems to satisfy the
> above criteria. However, I read some negative reviews of it on Amazon
> that some of the pictures are not good and the performance inside is
> bad, etc.
>
> I looked at Canon SD410 and SD500 as alternatives, but I also read some
> comments that these cameras are not very reliable and have problems
> after the warranty period is out.
>
> My impression was that other firms like Nokon, Casio, Pentax, etc. are
> not as cutting edge as Sony and Canon. What do you guys think? What
> camera can you recommend?
>
> Thanks.

Anything you find will have good, bad and mixed reviews, and cutting edge is
good for about 6 months. Go into a large store and handle as many cameras
as you can to see if they have the features that you want. Narrow the field
down that way, then do another search for customer reviews. Most people
can't tell the difference between good and cutting edge, and cutting edge is
often measured in numbers not in image quality. IMHO it's hard to go wrong
with Nikon, Olympus, Canon and Sony. I just picked up a refurbished Pentax
point and shoot that produces surprisingly good 8x10 prints, fits in my
shirt pocket and has a great macro mode. Of course, I can get my Nikon D70
out of the bag, turn it on and shoot an image while my Pentax is still
processing one shot.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:51:30 PM

You were kind of vague in your original post. You say 'easy to travel
with'. Does that mean you want to put it in a shirt pocket or are you
willing to carry a shoulder bag to house the camera and accessories?
If you're willing to carry the bag, I would recommend the Canon S2 IS
as a camera you will keep and be happy with for some time to come. We
have the S1 and are very happy with it. The S2 expands on the S1 by
being faster, better in low light, longer zoom and 5 megapixels instead
of 3.

We found the perfect bag at Wal Mart for the S1 that holds the camera,
cleaners, charger, batteries and memory cards with a little room to
spare for extras. The bag is about 6"x6"x5" with a choice of
comfortable shoulder strap or carry handle. You can find comparable
bags online for a wide variety of prices. The S1 is very flexible
regarding skill levels, so I assume the S2 is the same or better. I
liked to play with program, shutter priority, aperture priority and
various other settings when I used it. Now my wife uses it on full
automatic as the perfect point and shoot with a 10x zoom and Image
Stabilization. Just a great camera, but it is limited in low light and
speed. Supposedly, the S2 fixes all the shortcomings of the S1 and
even more. It is $50 more than you quoted, but will probably soon be
near $450 online if you shop. Or, if you don't care about low light or
rapid fire sports photography, get the S1 for under $300. The image
stabilization makes up for the fewer pixels anyway. There, now you
have a specific recommendation. Hope it helps and it's sure to trigger
others, I'd guess. ;o)

Kitt

success...@yahoo.com wrote:
> To be pricise: I want to find the best camera for the money - under
> $450. Can someone suggest something specific? Saying "all cameras are
> good" does not help me much.
>
> success_ny@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I have never used a digital camera. I would like to buy one now with
> > 5-7 MP resolution. I want it to be small (easy to travel with), have
> > oversized LCD screen (at least 2 inches), and provide good enough
> > quality for normal, non-professional use with shapr/crips pictures
> > (i.e., if I print 5 by 7 inch photos, I want them to look very good).
> >
> > Initially, I thought I would buy Sony DSC-W7 which seems to satisfy the
> > above criteria. However, I read some negative reviews of it on Amazon
> > that some of the pictures are not good and the performance inside is
> > bad, etc.
> >
> > I looked at Canon SD410 and SD500 as alternatives, but I also read some
> > comments that these cameras are not very reliable and have problems
> > after the warranty period is out.
> >
> > My impression was that other firms like Nokon, Casio, Pentax, etc. are
> > not as cutting edge as Sony and Canon. What do you guys think? What
> > camera can you recommend?
> >
> > Thanks.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:28:31 PM

> To be pricise: I want to find the best camera for the money - under
> $450. Can someone suggest something specific? Saying "all cameras are
> good" does not help me much.

Look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ5.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:07:41 AM

<success_ny@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have never used a digital camera. I would like to buy one now with
> 5-7 MP resolution. I want it to be small (easy to travel with), have
> oversized LCD screen (at least 2 inches), and provide good enough
> quality for normal, non-professional use with shapr/crips pictures
> (i.e., if I print 5 by 7 inch photos, I want them to look very good).
>
> Initially, I thought I would buy Sony DSC-W7 which seems to satisfy the
> above criteria. However, I read some negative reviews of it on Amazon
> that some of the pictures are not good and the performance inside is
> bad, etc.
>
> I looked at Canon SD410 and SD500 as alternatives, but I also read some
> comments that these cameras are not very reliable and have problems
> after the warranty period is out.
>
> My impression was that other firms like Nokon, Casio, Pentax, etc. are
> not as cutting edge as Sony and Canon. What do you guys think? What
> camera can you recommend?
>
> Thanks.

The Casio Exilim Z55 has a huge LCD, 2.5 inches, is very thin and is at the
low end of your spec, 5mp. It's what we're going to get when the dust
clears around here enough for us to go on vacation, lugging 20Ds and
attendant lenses about just to do snaps is a bit much...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

I have had a Sony P200 since February and have been very pleased with
its performance. It's small, 7mp resolution, well protected LCD, long
battery life, very good lens etc. It can be bought for less than $350
online. Here's a link to a thread where I posted some pictures and
commented in more detail about the camera:

http://tinyurl.com/bqud4

success_ny@yahoo.com wrote:
> To be pricise: I want to find the best camera for the money - under
> $450. Can someone suggest something specific? Saying "all cameras are
> good" does not help me much.
>
> success_ny@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>I have never used a digital camera. I would like to buy one now with
>>5-7 MP resolution. I want it to be small (easy to travel with), have
>>oversized LCD screen (at least 2 inches), and provide good enough
>>quality for normal, non-professional use with shapr/crips pictures
>>(i.e., if I print 5 by 7 inch photos, I want them to look very good).
>>
>>Initially, I thought I would buy Sony DSC-W7 which seems to satisfy the
>>above criteria. However, I read some negative reviews of it on Amazon
>>that some of the pictures are not good and the performance inside is
>>bad, etc.
>>
>>I looked at Canon SD410 and SD500 as alternatives, but I also read some
>>comments that these cameras are not very reliable and have problems
>>after the warranty period is out.
>>
>>My impression was that other firms like Nokon, Casio, Pentax, etc. are
>>not as cutting edge as Sony and Canon. What do you guys think? What
>>camera can you recommend?
>>
>>Thanks.

June 28, 2005 2:38:07 AM

On 27 Jun 2005 12:31:03 -0700, success_ny@yahoo.com wrote:

>I have never used a digital camera. I would like to buy one now with
>5-7 MP resolution. I want it to be small (easy to travel with), have
>oversized LCD screen (at least 2 inches), and provide good enough
>quality for normal, non-professional use with shapr/crips pictures
>(i.e., if I print 5 by 7 inch photos, I want them to look very good).
>
>Initially, I thought I would buy Sony DSC-W7 which seems to satisfy the
>above criteria. However, I read some negative reviews of it on Amazon
>that some of the pictures are not good and the performance inside is
>bad, etc.
>
>I looked at Canon SD410 and SD500 as alternatives, but I also read some
>comments that these cameras are not very reliable and have problems
>after the warranty period is out.
>
>My impression was that other firms like Nokon, Casio, Pentax, etc. are
>not as cutting edge as Sony and Canon. What do you guys think? What
>camera can you recommend?
>
>Thanks.

Don't worry too much about brands, lots of cameras use Sony sensors anyway...

My Dad just got a Panasonic 5m camera, with a Leica lens. It's super small and
takes very nice pics. I forget the model but it ended in '80'...
!