firecruiser

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I know this is kind of short notice... I am preparing to buy this system and build it myself and was wondering if everything looked good on it and if there was anything i should change that wouldn't change the price much. I have to buy it by tomorrow or most of the rebates will expire on the order. I feel that i'm happy with the setup and the way everything looks. I can control all my case fans from the mobo right? Or should i find a fan controller to mount on the front of the case?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19156032

This is my wish list. This is also my first build so if you feel something should change plz try to post a link to resources explaining why it should change or plz explain yourself. Thanks in advance for helping me with this. I'm currently at my 1200$ budget after the mail in rebates and premotions.

l0v3rboi

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
You don't need that kit. As long as you have a Phillips screw driver, you'll be fine. That full tower is going to be BIG for those components. You'll be fine with a mid-tower. Here are some changes I would make:

ASrock Extreme 4, LGA 1155 or Gigabyte z77-Ud5h
Radeon 7870
Haf 922
And if you're overclocking, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (I'm not sure if it's going to be enough though cause you chose Ivy Bridge).

firecruiser

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
not planning to overclock right now... If i decide to OC i'll get a cooler later and update it. I think just the upgrade in processor from my core 2 will be a big enough difference. I'll drop the kit should i still get a static strap or not? Other than the case size which makes sense why would i change the mobo and gpu?

Cold_War

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
That full tower is big though I agree, go for a mid-tower. I would make these changes:

The HAF 922 isn't fantastic, for that price go for a Corsair Carbide 400R, or for the price of the 932 get a Corsair Carbide 500R. They are amazing cases, I love them. They have rubber grommets and fantastic tool-less design, and great air-flow.

Get an Asrock Z77 Extreme4, there are much better features on the motherboard and it is cheaper, like Quad-CrossfireX and Quad-SLI, then you can buy a better GPU like a GTX 580, and Asrock is owned by Asus so it still is quality motherboards.

You don't need a static-strap, just from time to time touch the metal of the case. If you are cautious get one, the part that you need to be very cautious about is the CPU. You can do major damage there.