GTA: San Andreas - xbox version

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 8, 2005 6:46:17 AM

First off let me say I love GTA and all its games.
I got San Andreas when it was first released for ps2 and have loved it....
After the double pack came out for xbox I was expecting
a similar release for the xbox version of San Andreas...
Just got it and it is one of the biggest let downs yet.
The PS2 version looks much better.....
graphics are much more jagged on xbox,
cars look about 50% as good, glitchy gameplay,
and believe it or not it has more load times then ps2.
Now granted I havent played this xbox version much yet but boy was I
expecting more....
Xbox GTA III and Vice City look better then this one...
I love Rockstar but they let me down and dropped the ball on this one for
sure......
Just my opinion.
June 8, 2005 6:46:18 AM

hmmm..maybe this is why. 480p really stinks on this game for the xbox,
according to gamespot....here a snippet.....pay close attention to the
PC part; it's absolutely stunning!

For those of you already familiar with the game, let's quickly discuss
the differences between all three versions. The Xbox one has 480p
support, just like the PS2, but when enabled, the aliasing is out of
control. Portions of the environment look so unbelievably jaggy that
you'll wonder if your eyesight is failing you. At times it looks like
you're playing a 3D game without putting on the glasses. But if you can
get past that (it isn't quite as noticeable in standard resolution),
the game generally looks great. Loading times on the Xbox don't seem to
be much faster than the PlayStation 2 release, and for some weird
reason, a loading message occasionally appears onscreen, even in
situations where the load times are supposed to be hidden, like when
changing your hairstyle. Control in the Xbox version is sharp, and just
like the GTA Double Pack, your vehicle gas and brake controls have been
moved to the triggers and made analog. This works well, but the flight
controls, which have also been remapped to fit on the Xbox controller,
are a little weird.

The PC version comes on DVD only and is packaged with a fully bound
book that serves as the manual. It's definitely some of the coolest PC
game packaging around. This version also has the potential to be the
best-looking version of the game by a long shot. Support for higher
resolutions makes the textures and characters look sharper and much
better than either of the console versions. There's a draw distance
slider that, when turned all the way up, almost totally eliminates the
draw-in and fogging that's become synonymous with the series. Your
Grove Street home looks much more like a run-down South Central
neighborhood when you can see more of its surroundings.
<<<<<<
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:24:07 AM

That sounds very ood and the opposite of every review I have read. The
polygon count was doubled for the Xbox version as well as the draw distance
and lighting being improved. And all the articles I've read say it has less
frequent and faster loading after the initial boot up.

--
Game Junky
http://home.insightbb.com/~gamejunky/

"robin" <robinconnolly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> First off let me say I love GTA and all its games.
> I got San Andreas when it was first released for ps2 and have loved it....
> After the double pack came out for xbox I was expecting
> a similar release for the xbox version of San Andreas...
> Just got it and it is one of the biggest let downs yet.
> The PS2 version looks much better.....
> graphics are much more jagged on xbox,
> cars look about 50% as good, glitchy gameplay,
> and believe it or not it has more load times then ps2.
> Now granted I havent played this xbox version much yet but boy was I
> expecting more....
> Xbox GTA III and Vice City look better then this one...
> I love Rockstar but they let me down and dropped the ball on this one for
> sure......
> Just my opinion.

Related resources
June 8, 2005 10:57:39 AM

ohh, thought you were the one debating between a HTPC and an xbox
awhile back with me. You're not the "backing up my DVDs, Gordian Knot
Robin? Anyways, I prefer console gaming too, but the difference between
this game on both is like the difference between an nintendo and a n64.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:39:30 PM

"The Xbox one has 480p support, just like the PS2,"

The PS2 version does not support 480p.

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"theOne" <theone.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hmmm..maybe this is why. 480p really stinks on this game for the xbox,
> according to gamespot....here a snippet.....pay close attention to the
> PC part; it's absolutely stunning!
>>>>>>>>
> For those of you already familiar with the game, let's quickly discuss
> the differences between all three versions. The Xbox one has 480p
> support, just like the PS2, but when enabled, the aliasing is out of
> control. Portions of the environment look so unbelievably jaggy that
> you'll wonder if your eyesight is failing you. At times it looks like
> you're playing a 3D game without putting on the glasses. But if you can
> get past that (it isn't quite as noticeable in standard resolution),
> the game generally looks great. Loading times on the Xbox don't seem to
> be much faster than the PlayStation 2 release, and for some weird
> reason, a loading message occasionally appears onscreen, even in
> situations where the load times are supposed to be hidden, like when
> changing your hairstyle. Control in the Xbox version is sharp, and just
> like the GTA Double Pack, your vehicle gas and brake controls have been
> moved to the triggers and made analog. This works well, but the flight
> controls, which have also been remapped to fit on the Xbox controller,
> are a little weird.
>
> The PC version comes on DVD only and is packaged with a fully bound
> book that serves as the manual. It's definitely some of the coolest PC
> game packaging around. This version also has the potential to be the
> best-looking version of the game by a long shot. Support for higher
> resolutions makes the textures and characters look sharper and much
> better than either of the console versions. There's a draw distance
> slider that, when turned all the way up, almost totally eliminates the
> draw-in and fogging that's become synonymous with the series. Your
> Grove Street home looks much more like a run-down South Central
> neighborhood when you can see more of its surroundings.
> <<<<<<

June 8, 2005 2:18:34 PM

Throw Xbox version in trash. Problem fixed!
June 8, 2005 6:04:03 PM

> ohh, thought you were the one debating between a HTPC and
> an xbox
> awhile back with me. You're not the "backing up my DVDs,
> Gordian Knot
> Robin? Anyways, I prefer console gaming too, but the
> difference between
> this game on both is like the difference between an
> nintendo and a n64.

Yes, that's me. The OP though, with the little "r" is not
me.
June 9, 2005 2:31:39 PM

well to me, it is utterly horrible. If not the graphics, how about
people/guns/items/cars disappearing after about 10 feet because of the
RAM limitations? Or the bland coloring? I'll never play the xbox
version again and am deep into the PC version. I suggest any and all
xbox lovers to do the same. Doom 3 was great, but this just isn't a
console game (at least not this gen).
June 11, 2005 5:20:50 PM

sorry, no offense ;)
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:02:35 PM

> sorry, no offense ;)

None taken, it was her "starter car" considering she didn't get her license
until she was 19. ;)  She has an 04 CRV now so no Honda analogies if you
can help it.
June 12, 2005 1:26:24 AM

Nothing wrong with Honda :)  My wife and I were actually settled on a
Acura MDX for our new vehicle next Spring but I finally talked her into
a Infiniti G35 since we don't have kids yet :)  I like that CRV; it look
nice.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:14:44 PM

> Nothing wrong with Honda :)  My wife and I were actually settled on a
> Acura MDX for our new vehicle next Spring but I finally talked her into
> a Infiniti G35 since we don't have kids yet :)  I like that CRV; it look
> nice.

Lucky bastard. I had our next vehicle lined up as well, the MDX :) , but we
then had our 3rd kid and that blew that out of the water. I already had a
Pilot so we just decided to stay Honda and get the CRV. Once my oldest 2
are big enough to ride without booster seats, I am going to go crazy without
my next choice.
!