GTA: San Andreas - xbox version

First off let me say I love GTA and all its games.
I got San Andreas when it was first released for ps2 and have loved it....
After the double pack came out for xbox I was expecting
a similar release for the xbox version of San Andreas...
Just got it and it is one of the biggest let downs yet.
The PS2 version looks much better.....
graphics are much more jagged on xbox,
cars look about 50% as good, glitchy gameplay,
and believe it or not it has more load times then ps2.
Now granted I havent played this xbox version much yet but boy was I
expecting more....
Xbox GTA III and Vice City look better then this one...
I love Rockstar but they let me down and dropped the ball on this one for
sure......
Just my opinion.
13 answers Last reply
More about andreas xbox version

    hmmm..maybe this is why. 480p really stinks on this game for the xbox,
    according to gamespot....here a snippet.....pay close attention to the
    PC part; it's absolutely stunning!

    For those of you already familiar with the game, let's quickly discuss
    the differences between all three versions. The Xbox one has 480p
    support, just like the PS2, but when enabled, the aliasing is out of
    control. Portions of the environment look so unbelievably jaggy that
    you'll wonder if your eyesight is failing you. At times it looks like
    you're playing a 3D game without putting on the glasses. But if you can
    get past that (it isn't quite as noticeable in standard resolution),
    the game generally looks great. Loading times on the Xbox don't seem to
    be much faster than the PlayStation 2 release, and for some weird
    reason, a loading message occasionally appears onscreen, even in
    situations where the load times are supposed to be hidden, like when
    changing your hairstyle. Control in the Xbox version is sharp, and just
    like the GTA Double Pack, your vehicle gas and brake controls have been
    moved to the triggers and made analog. This works well, but the flight
    controls, which have also been remapped to fit on the Xbox controller,
    are a little weird.

    The PC version comes on DVD only and is packaged with a fully bound
    book that serves as the manual. It's definitely some of the coolest PC
    game packaging around. This version also has the potential to be the
    best-looking version of the game by a long shot. Support for higher
    resolutions makes the textures and characters look sharper and much
    better than either of the console versions. There's a draw distance
    slider that, when turned all the way up, almost totally eliminates the
    draw-in and fogging that's become synonymous with the series. Your
    Grove Street home looks much more like a run-down South Central
    neighborhood when you can see more of its surroundings.
    <<<<<<

    That sounds very ood and the opposite of every review I have read. The
    polygon count was doubled for the Xbox version as well as the draw distance
    and lighting being improved. And all the articles I've read say it has less
    frequent and faster loading after the initial boot up.

    --
    Game Junky
    http://home.insightbb.com/~gamejunky/

    "robin" <robinconnolly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > First off let me say I love GTA and all its games.
    > I got San Andreas when it was first released for ps2 and have loved it....
    > After the double pack came out for xbox I was expecting
    > a similar release for the xbox version of San Andreas...
    > Just got it and it is one of the biggest let downs yet.
    > The PS2 version looks much better.....
    > graphics are much more jagged on xbox,
    > cars look about 50% as good, glitchy gameplay,
    > and believe it or not it has more load times then ps2.
    > Now granted I havent played this xbox version much yet but boy was I
    > expecting more....
    > Xbox GTA III and Vice City look better then this one...
    > I love Rockstar but they let me down and dropped the ball on this one for
    > sure......
    > Just my opinion.

    Game Junky said

    > That sounds very ood and the opposite of every review I have read.

    Sounds like a troll.

    --
    http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?name=GodMagnus

    ohh, thought you were the one debating between a HTPC and an xbox
    awhile back with me. You're not the "backing up my DVDs, Gordian Knot
    Robin? Anyways, I prefer console gaming too, but the difference between
    this game on both is like the difference between an nintendo and a n64.

    Hmmm... strange since Gamespot gives it a 9.0

    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/gta4/review.html

    They do say though that the jaggies may be a result of imperfect 480p
    support. Try disabling it and see if that fixes the graphics.

    - Jordan

    "The Xbox one has 480p support, just like the PS2,"

    The PS2 version does not support 480p.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    "theOne" <theone.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > hmmm..maybe this is why. 480p really stinks on this game for the xbox,
    > according to gamespot....here a snippet.....pay close attention to the
    > PC part; it's absolutely stunning!
    >>>>>>>>
    > For those of you already familiar with the game, let's quickly discuss
    > the differences between all three versions. The Xbox one has 480p
    > support, just like the PS2, but when enabled, the aliasing is out of
    > control. Portions of the environment look so unbelievably jaggy that
    > you'll wonder if your eyesight is failing you. At times it looks like
    > you're playing a 3D game without putting on the glasses. But if you can
    > get past that (it isn't quite as noticeable in standard resolution),
    > the game generally looks great. Loading times on the Xbox don't seem to
    > be much faster than the PlayStation 2 release, and for some weird
    > reason, a loading message occasionally appears onscreen, even in
    > situations where the load times are supposed to be hidden, like when
    > changing your hairstyle. Control in the Xbox version is sharp, and just
    > like the GTA Double Pack, your vehicle gas and brake controls have been
    > moved to the triggers and made analog. This works well, but the flight
    > controls, which have also been remapped to fit on the Xbox controller,
    > are a little weird.
    >
    > The PC version comes on DVD only and is packaged with a fully bound
    > book that serves as the manual. It's definitely some of the coolest PC
    > game packaging around. This version also has the potential to be the
    > best-looking version of the game by a long shot. Support for higher
    > resolutions makes the textures and characters look sharper and much
    > better than either of the console versions. There's a draw distance
    > slider that, when turned all the way up, almost totally eliminates the
    > draw-in and fogging that's become synonymous with the series. Your
    > Grove Street home looks much more like a run-down South Central
    > neighborhood when you can see more of its surroundings.
    > <<<<<<

    Throw Xbox version in trash. Problem fixed!

    > ohh, thought you were the one debating between a HTPC and
    > an xbox
    > awhile back with me. You're not the "backing up my DVDs,
    > Gordian Knot
    > Robin? Anyways, I prefer console gaming too, but the
    > difference between
    > this game on both is like the difference between an
    > nintendo and a n64.

    Yes, that's me. The OP though, with the little "r" is not
    me.

    well to me, it is utterly horrible. If not the graphics, how about
    people/guns/items/cars disappearing after about 10 feet because of the
    RAM limitations? Or the bland coloring? I'll never play the xbox
    version again and am deep into the PC version. I suggest any and all
    xbox lovers to do the same. Doom 3 was great, but this just isn't a
    console game (at least not this gen).

    sorry, no offense ;)

    > sorry, no offense ;)

    None taken, it was her "starter car" considering she didn't get her license
    until she was 19. ;) She has an 04 CRV now so no Honda analogies if you
    can help it.

    Nothing wrong with Honda :) My wife and I were actually settled on a
    Acura MDX for our new vehicle next Spring but I finally talked her into
    a Infiniti G35 since we don't have kids yet :) I like that CRV; it look
    nice.

    > Nothing wrong with Honda :) My wife and I were actually settled on a
    > Acura MDX for our new vehicle next Spring but I finally talked her into
    > a Infiniti G35 since we don't have kids yet :) I like that CRV; it look
    > nice.

    Lucky bastard. I had our next vehicle lined up as well, the MDX :), but we
    then had our 3rd kid and that blew that out of the water. I already had a
    Pilot so we just decided to stay Honda and get the CRV. Once my oldest 2
    are big enough to ride without booster seats, I am going to go crazy without
    my next choice.

Console Gaming PlayStation Games Xbox Video Games