Sign in with
Your question

Time to upgrade

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2012 6:45:41 PM

So my computer is getting close to about 4 years old now (Asus P5Q Pro, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 ram, VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 video card). It runs well enough and I don't have any problems really, but I just figured that the hardware has changed so much since then and the i7 processors look really sexy compared to mine, that if I upgraded right now I'd be set for another 4 years or so again. Do you agree?

I don't have a budget in mind, I'm willing to shell out enough to get top of the line stuff right now, but I don't want to pay over the top for something that will come down in price in a couple months. What mobo/processor/ram/video card do you all suggest? I was kinda looking at this for the processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K ($315 on newegg), but am open to other suggestions as well. Anyways, still in the early stages of looking in to this but would appreciate any advice.

Forgot to mention, I mostly use this for gaming.

More about : time upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 8:13:55 PM

Well I imagine most if not all of the Sandy's will come down in price in the next couple of months after the release of Ivy Bridge. The same will hold true for the GPU's. NVidia because of the release of Kepler and AMD to be competitive. You should probably wait if you don't want to pay more than you will in a couple of months. :) 
April 29, 2012 8:24:26 PM

What's your budget? When do you plan to buy it?

Ivy Bridge 3570k if you are not gong to over-clock (heat issues) ir i7 3700k, 8 GB ram, GTX 560 or GTX 580 (GTX 680 is the best and is out stock - I would recommend it if you are willing to wait.).

S
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 8:34:14 PM

You didn't mention the monitor/res or what you do with the machine.

did you consider the LGA2011 at all ? Newest socket they have. Should be around longer than 1155.... ???

If I were thinking of 1155 socket I'd get the newest one I could get, not that the 2600k isn't top notch. And a z77 MoBo.

Back to your "old" machine. Why not over do it with a video card you can move to your next build ? I still use the q9550 for gaming. The only thing holding me back were the wrong video cards. Not going to upgrade for a couple of years I don't think..... don't see a need.
April 29, 2012 8:38:06 PM

You can get the new i5-3570k 3.4ghz for 209.99 after rebate on Tigerdirect.com. Retail is 249.99. Thats a good deal and its the latest Intel tech.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 9:23:30 PM

Here's something to think about and that's the architecture of the processors. Not something too many people do look at. you have 4 core 4 thread and 4core 8 thread.......... not too long ago some people in their infinite wisdom still thought it's okay to use dual cores for gaming. Just something to think about.
April 29, 2012 9:47:10 PM

Yes I forgot to mention this is mostly used for gaming, and I have a new monitor (Samsung PX2370) that I run all my games on at 1920x1080.

I guess the question for me is, is there any really cool stuff coming out in the next ~3 months that would be worth waiting for? I don't really wanna wait more than 3 months, so if there's nothing that great on the horizon I'll just buy whatever is top of the line right now. Otherwise is there is something worth waiting for, I might just go with a video card upgrade for now. That GTX 680 looks brutal, would that even work on my current system?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 9:54:21 PM

I think there was something funky with that card NOT working on something when it first came out, but I don't remember what it was and since then there have been firmware updates to take care of the problem....... so I would assume it should work fine. Might want to check your power requirements though.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 9:57:06 PM

this was it....... no need for you to worry..... http://www.techpowerup.com/162942/GeForce-GTX-680-Relea...

"Those who were hoping to jump on Kepler with their brand new Sandy Bridge-E systems to get the best of the best will have to wait, as the GeForce GTX 680 graphics card has been limited for the time being to PCI-Express 2.0 speeds on the X79 chipset."
April 29, 2012 9:59:08 PM

Oh yea I forgot about that. For my PSU I currently have a corsair 620HX. Was hoping I wouldn't have to replace that. Or my case, or my hard drives (although I will probly get a SSD for the OS in addition to my two other drives I already have). On that note, do you know if people would be interested in buying my old mobo/cpu/ram/gpu and where or how I would go about trying to sell my old parts?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2012 10:33:21 PM

ps should be okay........ can't help with other.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 30, 2012 4:24:03 PM

weedundant said:
Oh yea I forgot about that. For my PSU I currently have a corsair 620HX. Was hoping I wouldn't have to replace that. Or my case, or my hard drives (although I will probly get a SSD for the OS in addition to my two other drives I already have). On that note, do you know if people would be interested in buying my old mobo/cpu/ram/gpu and where or how I would go about trying to sell my old parts?

Your PSU should be fine.
I don't know what your case is but your Hdd's should be fine (I'm assuming that they are SATA) and a SSD for your OS is the way to go.
I don't where you could sell your old parts (other than the standards, ebay, craigs list, etc.) however if you invite people on this site to message you if interested then someone might. I don't think the moderators would like anyone actively selling items on a thread.
!