Sign in with
Your question

CPU upgrade? Or not so much?

Last response: in CPUs
August 12, 2012 10:14:27 PM

Hey there,

I've been checking around these forums trying to find a simialar question to mine but all seem to have different components.
Basicly i'm looking to upgrade my CPU.

At the moment i have an AMD Athlon II x4 640 running at 3.00 ghz.
ATI 6850 1gb.
Asrock 770 Extreme 3
2x 4 gb 1333 ram.

I have been looking at getting a new motherboard, and getting an i5 3570k with it.
Now my question is obviously will this be a good choice, will i notice any improvements in gaming in particular?
Any suggestions for a motherboard? (If i will be getting an i5 3570k?)

Cheers!

More about : cpu upgrade

August 12, 2012 10:31:49 PM

The Core i5 3570k should smoke the Athlon II in most performance situations. In gaming, you may only notice a big difference in games that are heavily CPU bound (World of Warcraft, for example). You may notice a change overall if the CPU is bottlenecking the 6850, but that seems unlikely.

For motherboards, after using Asus builds in two Z77 builds, (The Micro-ATX first and later the Mini-ITX version) and I can speak highly of their bios and overclocking performance, as well as overall stability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
^This is a great board.

Also, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... seems to have very good customer reviews.

EVGA also makes good boards, but I have not had the chance to work with a Z77 EVGA board. Asus will probably be the more cost effective choice as well
August 12, 2012 11:06:30 PM

Dantheman1129 said:
The Core i5 3570k should smoke the Athlon II in most performance situations. In gaming, you may only notice a big difference in games that are heavily CPU bound (World of Warcraft, for example). You may notice a change overall if the CPU is bottlenecking the 6850, but that seems unlikely.

For motherboards, after using Asus builds in two Z77 builds, (The Micro-ATX first and later the Mini-ITX version) and I can speak highly of their bios and overclocking performance, as well as overall stability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
^This is a great board.

Also, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... seems to have very good customer reviews.

EVGA also makes good boards, but I have not had the chance to work with a Z77 EVGA board. Asus will probably be the more cost effective choice as well

Ah thanks for your reply :) 

I did look into those Asus boards and they do indeed have good reviews.
Most important part for me personally is that i'd just feel an improvement, do you reckon i would on games such as BF3, but as well on Source engine games, which are CPU reliant?

Cheers!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2012 11:18:00 PM

ASrock are good for motherboards
Think about getting another GPU for Xfire if it's just used as a gaming PC?
You'd notice a difference, especially multiplayer BF3 which relies more on the CPU
August 12, 2012 11:26:59 PM

Robi_g said:
ASrock are good for motherboards
Think about getting another GPU for Xfire if it's just used as a gaming PC?
You'd notice a difference, especially multiplayer BF3 which relies more on the CPU

Ah okay thank you.

I Don't really know alot about Crossfire i must say, i've always had the image of it being kind of silly, i mean 2 of the *SAME* cards? But i guess i should do some research on that then.
And yea the computer is mostly used for playing games, which is why i'm really hoping i'd atleast notice some increase in performance :) 
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2012 11:34:30 PM

Hi :) 

Sorry but the above is wrong....

You will see VERY VERY LITTLE difference in GAMING...

NO DIFFERENCE at all in Source games and very very little in BF3...

You would be better spending your money on a better graphics card, then you would see a huge difference...

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2012 12:19:15 AM

A little over clocking on the x4 and a 7950 and it will lite your pc up. Besides xfire is not a option with the ASRock 770 EXTREME3 only 1 pcie 16 slot
August 13, 2012 8:32:30 AM

I enjoy seeing multiple replies and different opinions, however it does make me a bit doubtful :p 
I have now started considering a GPU upgrade in that case, even though i'm quite suprised that upgrading my CPU wouldn't make such a difference.
August 13, 2012 8:51:08 AM

If i were to get a 7950, or a GTX670, would my CPU limit the possibilitys of those cards?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2012 7:52:09 PM

Regen said:
If i were to get a 7950, or a GTX670, would my CPU limit the possibilitys of those cards?

Hi :) 

Not at the moment no...and you would get a HUGE improvement in gaming...

All the best Brett :) 
!