Sign in with
Your question

Gaming PC ~$2500; what would you change

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2012 8:29:24 PM

CAS: NZXT Switch 810 Hybird Full Towcming Case w/ Dual 140MM Pivot Fan Slots and Front USB 3.0 (Black Color)
USBX: None
CASUPGRADE: 12in Cold Cathode Neon Light (Blue Color)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 [+300]
FREEBIE_CU1: FREE! 4GB USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive
FAN: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 18dBA) [+129]
MOTHERBOARD: (SLI/CrossFireX) Asus P9X79 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ UEFI BIOS, 7.1 HD Audio, Intel GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
MEMORY: 32GB (4GBx8) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory [+218] (Corsair Vengeance [+76])
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+105] (EVGA Superclocked [+13])
VIDEO2: None [-420]
VIDEO3: None
POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
HDD: 120GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s SSD – 555MB/s Read & 515MB/s Write [+73] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
USBHD: None
USBFLASH: None
CD: LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

looking for some feedback on this build and what I could change to make it better.

Thoughts/suggestions?

More about : gaming 2500 change

April 29, 2012 8:32:10 PM

I wouldn't buy it prebuilt...
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:37:13 PM

I would like to use water cooling but am afraid of assembling it myself. Main reason I am looking for a place to build it for me.

I will be using this mainly for gaming (D3, MW3, BF3, etc)

I am trying to get the best setup with the future in mind as well, IVB vs Sand E

I am still on the fence with a 3770k in place of the 3930k
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2012 8:41:40 PM

When do you want this built by? I personally would wait to see what the new GPU's look like, since you are primarily building this for gaming. If I didn't have May 15th as my diablo 3 deadline, I would have waited for the new GPU's, however you might have a little more self control than I.
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:42:41 PM

Except you're only watercooling the CPU, and the kit (yes kit, not really a DIY job). If you really want a good WC setup, build the PC yourself and spend some time in the WC section of the forums here; it's not as hard as you'd think, but it does require some time to learn stuff.

If you're only gaming, I would drop the i7 to the i5; you won't get much any added performance in games because games are GPU limited. With a 680 and an i5, you're pretty much set. Then you can spend the extra on better peripherals (monitors, mechanical keyboards, mice, etc).

You also don't need 32GB RAM and a 1000W PSU. Games + system functions will only use up to 8GB RAM at most right now. You should be looking in the 800W range for PSUs depending on what you end up getting in the rest of the system.
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:43:08 PM

Isn't 32 GB a LITTLE bit unnecessary? I can understand 16 GB but maybe I'm missing something.
Also, you should just assemble everything and see if there's somewhere around you that can install the water cooling if you don't feel confident about that, that's what I'd do, first PC I bought prebuilt came with a bunch of *** problems I'm never doing that again, nor buying from CyberPowerPC for that matter.

What brand for your secondary HDD? WD Black?
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:43:51 PM

Hucklecat said:
When do you want this built by? I personally would wait to see what the new GPU's look like, since you are primarily building this for gaming. If I didn't have May 15th as my diablo 3 deadline, I would have waited for the new GPU's, however you might have a little more self control than I.

Wait for what? The GTX 680 is the best GPU on the market and was released earlier this month. Now is the best time to buy it (once they come back into stock, that is).
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:47:05 PM

If you are really going for over kill, I would wait for the gtx 690 that was just announced. It seems like a better option than two 680's. Also you should really think about getting a dedicated sound card if you have any care at all about sound. Dedicated sound cards make a noticeable difference especially in high quality material. Oh and one last think you should consider going for the Samsung 830 over the Corsair Force GT. The Samsung 830 is pretty much the best rated SSD around.
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:48:38 PM

boiler1990 said:
Wait for what? The GTX 680 is the best GPU on the market and was released earlier this month. Now is the best time to buy it (once they come back into stock, that is).

Sorry I am not as savvy with this kind of stuff but I was under the impression that nividia was releasing their new Kepler cards at the end of may or sometime june.
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:49:54 PM

Hucklecat said:
Sorry I am not as savvy with this kind of stuff but I was under the impression that nividia was releasing their new Kepler cards at the end of may or sometime june.

Lol 680 is Kepler, they're going to be releasing their lower end cards eventually, I'm waiting for 670 I am excite.
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:52:27 PM

Thanks for all of the input!

I think I will decrease the amount of ram since 32GB is probably overkill.
The secondary drive is just a generic HDD, I am actually unsure of the brand.

Instead of the i7, what is everyone's thoughts on i5 IV B (3550k, 3570k)

The site building this computer is www.buyxg.com, it seems to be a derivative of cyberpower pc.

@Timendo what was your experience with cyberpower? Bad build quality?

Also, I am considering buying this system on newegg vs xtremegear building it
m
l
April 29, 2012 8:53:25 PM

for gaming you don't really need this much.

this kind of computer is more for workshops.

Now for my suggestions. you will not need a watercooler air cooled is more than enough unless u want to try to break some record which is not that useful for gaming

Ram is to much save yourself some money and go with 2x4GB Ram @ at least 1600.
switch motherboard to a z77 i suggest any board around the 150-200 price range for your build(really like gigabyte and asus boards)

power supply: a modular/full modular. 1000w is unnecessary 750 watt or even a 600 watt will be more than enough for 1 graphics card suggest this one
SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

m
l
April 29, 2012 8:59:42 PM

Timendo said:
Lol 680 is Kepler, they're going to be releasing their lower end cards eventually, I'm waiting for 670 I am excite.

That is true, but for someone like this who is willing to spend 2.5k, maybe would want to wait till May 3rd for the 690. If I had that much disposable income, why not wait till the 3rd, which I believe is the date.
m
l
April 29, 2012 9:02:56 PM

Hucklecat said:
That is true, but for someone like this who is willing to spend 2.5k, maybe would want to wait till May 3rd for the 690. If I had that much disposable income, why not wait till the 3rd, which I believe is the date.

I didn't know the 690 was coming so soon
m
l
April 29, 2012 9:04:35 PM

lance87 said:
Thanks for all of the input!

I think I will decrease the amount of ram since 32GB is probably overkill.
The secondary drive is just a generic HDD, I am actually unsure of the brand.

Instead of the i7, what is everyone's thoughts on i5 IV B (3550k, 3570k)

The site building this computer is www.buyxg.com, it seems to be a derivative of cyberpower pc.

@Timendo what was your experience with cyberpower? Bad build quality?

Also, I am considering buying this system on newegg vs xtremegear building it

First, the GPU came shipped IN the slot, bouncing around on the truck, it came and it wasn't even plugged in anymore, it was dead and broken, they gave me a hassle about that accusing me, plus that broke the hinge in the case so my GPUs dont hang right anymore I need to screw the faceplate on the side instead of the clips, it was very late, and their customer support rivals EA/Origins.

Edit: Oh also, I ordered a specific mouse
I got a different crap-brand version, but I was like 14 I didn't care, either way it wasn't like a 100 dollar mouse.
m
l
!