Sign in with
Your question
Solved

FPS drops with factory OC'd GTX570

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2012 2:24:29 PM

Hi guys, hoping you can help me out here. I'm having some serious FPS drops when playing games (specifically League of Legends and SWTOR), recently upgraded my gaming rig from an HD5670 to a GTX570 factory OC'd from Gigabyte.

My PC specs:
Asus M4A88TD-M Mobo
NVidia GeForce GTX570 Gigabyte Super Overclock
Phenom II 965 Quad Core CPU
16gb CORSAIR XMS DDR3-1333mhz

By all accounts I should have no problems whatsoever running these games, however in LoL my FPS will drop from 230ish FPS down to as low as 6, and SWTOR has spikes dropping it from 110 fps to the low 20s and sometimes less than 10.

I'm posting this from my work PC so I can't do any immediate testing, but please post suggestions and I'll try them as soon as I possibly can.

As it stands now, my HD5670 was running LoL better, though it never saw the light of SWTOR.

The temps I've seen from desktop gadgets and Gigabyte OC Guru program indicate my gpu is running around 60-70 degrees while gaming.

I'd like to get these issues resolved, as they're quite the damper on my gameplay, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Quick edit:

Forgot to mention, I've installed the latest beta drivers from Nvidia in an attempt to fix the SWTOR issue, I've attempted reinstalling drivers, I've attempted reinstalling programs, have not yet attempted reinstalling OS (hoping to avoid it if possible, but not out of the question if necessary), running windows 7 64 bit OS.

Best solution

February 22, 2012 2:56:00 PM

Download driver sweeper from majorgeeks.com

Select all AMD and nvidia drivers and reboot.

Once you reboot re-install the latest stable (non beta) drivers. I believe the latest stable drivers are 295.73

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers
February 22, 2012 3:16:38 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Download driver sweeper from majorgeeks.com

Select all AMD and nvidia drivers and reboot.

Once you reboot re-install the latest stable (non beta) drivers. I believe the latest stable drivers are 295.73

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

Firstly, thanks for the quick response!

I used Revo Uninstaller Pro to remove the AMD drivers, however I'll give it a once over with Driver Sweeper and see if that fixes it. Will install latest stable drivers after (used beta drivers because of an explicit SWTOR update note that I was referred to previously on SWTOR forums).

Thanks once more for the response! I'll try after work and see how it turns out and post my results.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2012 12:36:43 AM

Driver Sweeper showed there were remaining AMD drivers. Removed all Nvidia and AMD display drivers, reinstalled latest stable as per your advice and it all seems to be going well! LoL fps avg'd 120+ and never dropped below 80. SWTOR is 110+ and lingering around 90. About to try some space combat and see how it really performs.

Thanks so much for the advice!
m
l
February 23, 2012 3:07:01 AM

No problem. Now man that light saber!
m
l
March 1, 2012 12:26:24 AM

Best answer selected by Akitu.
m
l
!