irish_rover

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
I have just purchased a pc which is supposed to have 128Mb of ram.When I look under system properties it tells me :
Memory : 96Mb of ram
88% free
Is this normal or have I been done?

G

Its unlikely that you have a vid card which is addressing the other 32, either you only have 96 or the pc isnt reading it properley, check it out

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Use a program like CTSPD to check the actual size of the DIMM.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

exodux

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first of all u have to check to see if your video card in your computer on board or not...if it is then u r not being ripped off. Depending on how many RAM u have on your computer, it will take a portion of it. So take the amount of RAM u have for your video card and the amount of RAM that is being displayed for computer and it sould add up to 128.

but if it's not on board video card then u got jipped.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
maybe the memory is bad, or it could even be a bad or unclean slot. try cleaning the memory connectors and putting it into other slot.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
There are also registry hacks that can limit how much of the actual memory is used. Microsoft's website tells you how to do this. Did you get your machine new or used. The previous owner may have been messing with this. I think that the more likely scenario is that you vid card is using the ram. Where did you get it? If the y ripped you off, some bad pub will at least be a little revenge.

No man stands so tall, as when he stoops to tweak his rig.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Windows might be configured to limit the amount of memory (though, I don't know why it would be). In Windows 98 you can easily check this by clicking Start, choosing Run, type MSCONFIG, press Enter, and clicking on the Advanced button. There's a field that sets the limit if checked. If it is uncheck it.

The procedure might be a little different for Windows ME.

irish_rover

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
Thanks everyone for all your help.I have discovered that the graphics card is on-board and it should not be.I also ordered Athlon 850Mhz and got Duron.I have since arranged for the company to collect the pc and update with the correct components.
It just shows how easy it is to get fleeced.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
you always gotta be careful - it may be a genuine mistake, or it may be their profit margin - good thing is you caught it!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Yet another reason why I will never again buy a retail system. I've been "clean" for 7 years and have no reason to go back. I may buy a retail notebook, but just because I can't build one myself. Anyway, I'm glad you caught it. Dell tried to pull that with a buddy of mine. They tried to pass off a Radeon 32meg for a 64meg GeForce 2....geez.

No man stands so tall, as when he stoops to tweak his rig.