How much is my custom gaming pc worth?

jc7993

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hello,
I just built a new gaming computer and want to know how much it is worth if I were to sell it.

My specs:

Asus m5a97 motherboard
8gb g skills vengeance 2x4gb
Msi radeon hd 6850
120gb hdd 7200
Thermal take 500w
DVD/cd multi burner
Diablotek Evo CPA-6170 case
No operating system

Solution
A 120GB conventional hard drive is worth 0, might as well sell it without a drive. That 500 W TT PSU is also a write off.

Going by things that have real value, a 965 is $110 at newegg, a 6850 is 150 at newegg, motherboard is about 100, and the case is no longer available but i would only value it around $30. That adds up to about 390 for new prices, i wouldn't pay more than 200 for a used 965 and 6850 together, add in the rest and i would only value it around 300.

You lose a fair amount of value simply because people have no idea what you may or may not have done to the parts after you got them.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008

You would not get very much for a "gaming computer" that does not have a CPU. Unless you just forgot to mention it..

jc7993

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Hahaha, sorry. Its a AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition

jc7993

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Its a shock really, considering everything to be new and cost me more than $450 to build, even though i looked for the cheapest ones.

A 120GB conventional hard drive is worth 0, might as well sell it without a drive. That 500 W TT PSU is also a write off.

Going by things that have real value, a 965 is $110 at newegg, a 6850 is 150 at newegg, motherboard is about 100, and the case is no longer available but i would only value it around $30. That adds up to about 390 for new prices, i wouldn't pay more than 200 for a used 965 and 6850 together, add in the rest and i would only value it around 300.

You lose a fair amount of value simply because people have no idea what you may or may not have done to the parts after you got them.

Solution

jc7993

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

You forgot about the RAM, thats another 50, and ouch.... Since you guys are telling me this, it sounds like i should just give it away lolll.

MY system cost me a little over $900 when I built it not too long ago (NOT including the case, monitor, mouse, or keyboard), and I KNOW that I wouldn't get anywhere NEAR that for it, if I sold it as a complete system now. Probably around $600, if I was lucky. AND it's a much better overall system than yours.

The stark reality is that used computers (especially with older gen parts, even if they were new and high-ish end parts when you bought them) lose their value VERY quickly. It's just the way it is.

jc7993

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Yes, but my point is to sell and make a profit, like on ebay. I thank everybody here for their honest opinions, but i am not looking for the price that i paid for it ( I already know how much i paid), but the price to selling one. :D

Yeah, I get that. I'm just saying don't set your sights too high, either. If you find someone that's willing to pay $400-$450 for it, then great, but I HIGHLY doubt that will happen.

InvalidError

Titan

"Making a profit" means selling for a higher price than you purchased it for, which is unlikely unless you did something to add value.

Selling a used system for around half the original build cost is more like recovering the residual value or "cutting your losses".

jc7993

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

But this is not a used system, it is new, as stated at the beginning. I built it a couple of days ago. Unless a system that sits there for a couple of days is called "used".

Has anyone here sold a PC before and was trying to start a business from it? Because that is what i am trying to do.

InvalidError

Titan

As others have said, some of the parts you put in there are discontinued and/or have essentially nil resale value. Making a profit off parts almost nobody wants is going to be tough unless you got everything else for substantially cheaper than retail.

Another problem is that unless you are a well-known reseller, it is going to be difficult to convince people to buy your "random guy" brand over a Dell or something else sold in stores.

Unless you provide some added-value special feature to draw attention to your builds, you might want to resell parts and do built-to-order sales rather than try selling pre-assembled computers since there is a very high risk that you won't find a buyer interested in exactly what you built with a high enough price tag for you to make a profit on.

jc7993

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

I am very grateful for your reply, i totally agree to what you said. I guess it is up to the customer if they are willing to trust me and buy my rig. I hope i can sell my PC more than i bought everything.

Other than that, i thank everyone for answering my questions. This makes my first post very pleasing loll.