Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unusual question: Can I carry-on a CPU on a plane?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 13, 2012 3:10:09 AM

So I'm from Seattle and have been staying with family in New York for the summer, I'll be going home in a few weeks and am going to be building a new desktop when I get there. So the thing is that there are no Microcenter stores anywhere near Seattle, but there's one pretty close to me here in New York. I'm wondering if there would be any problems with me buying an I5-3570k here from Microcenter ($30 - #40 cheaper than anywhere else) and just taking it back with me in my carry-on bag (I wouldn't really feel safe putting it in my checked luggage). Would this lead to any problems getting through security? I know plenty of people fly with laptops, but will they make me unbox it or worse? I assume this should all work out fine, but want to know if anyone has had any experiences with this situation, also sorry if this doesn't really fit this sub-forum, but I couldn't think of anywhere more accurate to put it. Thanks.
a c 471 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 3:19:09 AM

You should be fine unless yer gonna try and smuggle drugs as well.

Then you might get the "rubber glove" treatment.
m
l

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 3:25:32 AM

You should be fine, if they make you unbox it, handle it carefully. You can always ask them to handle it carefully, but we know how well that works out with these angry little overpaid security guards we call TSA, but I wouldn't think you'll have too much trouble. Leave it sealed in the package, maybe they'll be less apt to fool with it if the factory seal label is in tact.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2012 4:29:53 AM

not too much difference compared to a CPU in a laptop or a cpu in a phone/tablet right?.I would suspect to avoid hassle you to put the box into it's own bin so the xray has a clear view like other electronics rather then buried within a bag.
Perhaps don't combine it with your headphone wires and leading to your tubes of shampoo and your watch.

Very minor chance they may ask to manually inspect it but follow the other tips if requested.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 4:31:37 AM

TSA: IS THIS A BOMB!??!?

m
l
August 14, 2012 12:40:55 AM

amuffin said:
TSA: IS THIS A BOMB!??!?

Well I am of a Middle Eastern background... not that I'm even Muslim, but what's the difference right? Haha, good to know everything will be alright though. Thanks guys, I'll just place it separately still in it's packaging, hopefully no rough handling by the TSA occurs.
m
l
August 24, 2012 2:09:37 AM

Best answer selected by ghotbijr.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
August 24, 2012 2:16:16 AM

ghotbijr said:
Well I am of a Middle Eastern background... not that I'm even Muslim, but what's the difference right? Haha, good to know everything will be alright though. Thanks guys, I'll just place it separately still in it's packaging, hopefully no rough handling by the TSA occurs.

Lol, I know there are some bad eggs who treat people of middle eastern descent poorly. If the TSA gives you any problems, take solace in the fact that they treat Caucasian people just as poorly. :lol: 
m
l
!