Sign in with
Your question

Celeron G530 and Radeon 6770 for Diablo III?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Diablo
  • Radeon
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2012 11:02:32 PM

Just looking to put together a cheap second system so my son can play Diablo III with me...

Option 1: (cheaper)
AMD A8-3780 Quad Core 3Ghz FM1 CPU (built-in Radeon 6550D)
MSI A55M-P35 mATX FM1 motherboard
8GB RAM
$220

Option 2: (future upgradable)
Intel Celeron G530 Dual Core 2.4Ghz Sandy Bridge CPU
Gigabyte B75M-D3H mATX LGA1155 motherboard
Powercolor Radeon 6770 v2 Video Card
8GB RAM
$280

For another $200 bucks I could go to a Radeon 6870 with either an i5-2400 (Sandy Bridge) or i5-3450 (Ivy Bridge). But since this machine is not going to be used for much else than Diablo III, I am not sure the extra $200 bucks is worth it right now.

Can I get some opinions?
Thanks!

More about : celeron g530 radeon 6770 diablo iii

April 29, 2012 11:07:28 PM

What resolution will your son be playing at?
I have a hard time recommending a Celeron for anything.
m
l
April 29, 2012 11:10:31 PM

id go with the upgrade able option, guessing it would out perform the APU in most games.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 29, 2012 11:54:59 PM

derekullo said:
What resolution will your son be playing at?
I have a hard time recommending a Celeron for anything.

Hope to play at 1920x1080 and since Diablo III has such low requirements I am hoping this won't be a problem. Blizzard lists the 6770 as being able to run Diablo III in High Performance mode...
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/video-card-supp...

And the newer Sandy Bridge Celerons are apparently in a completely different league than the old Celerons we are used to. And for $49 bucks it's hard to pass up! According to this it only lags slightly behind the Pentium G620...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/celeron-g5...

And it ranks above some decent cpu's in PassMark as well...
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Ce...

As I said, seems hard to beat the value at $280 bucks if the main purpose is Diablo III.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 30, 2012 12:19:47 AM

It sounds like you've talked yourself into the Celeron, but I would never buy it if I was planning on doing any gaming at all. I mean seriously, just how low IS your budget? If you can't spend $25 more for a halfway decent CPU (and I would only call the new Pentium models halfway decent), then you're really limiting yourself.

As an alternative, even the last-generation Athlon II and Phenom II triple-cores beat the new Celeron handily in that $70-$80 price range. If you want an upgrade path, throw one of them into an AM3+ motherboard and at least you'll have the option to go with something a little better. It won't be as good of an upgrade path with AMD as LGA1155 would give you ... but if you're seriously contemplating a Celeron, I have a hard time believing you'd take advantage of the high-end Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPUs anyway.
m
l
April 30, 2012 12:55:05 AM

If it's anything like Starcraft 2, the game is bound to be very CPU bound and possessing the utmost hatred for AMD CPUs:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/129

The G530 will preform between the G620 and the G620T... I think that gives it a solid win over the old Athlon II's and A8-3850.

EDIT: From what I'm reading... you'll probably have a very playable game with something like an older 4850..
m
l
April 30, 2012 1:08:15 AM

capt_taco said:
It sounds like you've talked yourself into the Celeron, but I would never buy it if I was planning on doing any gaming at all. I mean seriously, just how low IS your budget? If you can't spend $25 more for a halfway decent CPU (and I would only call the new Pentium models halfway decent), then you're really limiting yourself.

As an alternative, even the last-generation Athlon II and Phenom II triple-cores beat the new Celeron handily in that $70-$80 price range. If you want an upgrade path, throw one of them into an AM3+ motherboard and at least you'll have the option to go with something a little better. It won't be as good of an upgrade path with AMD as LGA1155 would give you ... but if you're seriously contemplating a Celeron, I have a hard time believing you'd take advantage of the high-end Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge CPUs anyway.

I have a big a$$ gaming rig for myself already. This is for nothing more than allowing my son to play Diablo III with me. If the Celeron will play D3 how is that limiting myself? I may spring for a Pentium G620 for an extra $20 bucks. But that's about it.
m
l
April 30, 2012 1:40:37 AM

unknownshadow said:
Just looking to put together a cheap second system so my son can play Diablo III with me...

Option 1: (cheaper)
AMD A8-3780 Quad Core 3Ghz FM1 CPU (built-in Radeon 6550D)
MSI A55M-P35 mATX FM1 motherboard
8GB RAM
$220

Option 2: (future upgradable)
Intel Celeron G530 Dual Core 2.4Ghz Sandy Bridge CPU
Gigabyte B75M-D3H mATX LGA1155 motherboard
Powercolor Radeon 6770 v2 Video Card
8GB RAM
$280

For another $200 bucks I could go to a Radeon 6870 with either an i5-2400 (Sandy Bridge) or i5-3450 (Ivy Bridge). But since this machine is not going to be used for much else than Diablo III, I am not sure the extra $200 bucks is worth it right now.

Can I get some opinions?
Thanks!

I'd go with your first option with 2 6870s. It's a great card and runs Diablo III very well. You can get a used one for like 130 I believe. I'm not a big MSI fan but I'd do some research on that board before you purchase it. Good luck with your build and enjoy Diablo III.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 30, 2012 4:24:21 AM

unknownshadow said:
I have a big a$$ gaming rig for myself already. This is for nothing more than allowing my son to play Diablo III with me. If the Celeron will play D3 how is that limiting myself? I may spring for a Pentium G620 for an extra $20 bucks. But that's about it.

I get it. I missed that this was a "second" computer. In that case, you're on the right track, but I'd still try to do better than the Celeron. Can't say for sure, but it's potentially too bottom-of-the-barrel to even give you the experience you want with this. For the amount of difference $20 or $30 makes in this price range of CPU, I personally wouldn't find it worth taking the chance.
m
l
!