Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 6770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2012 4:44:46 PM

Hi,

1st time system builder here. Just ordered me this package from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...
Now Im stuck on the graphics card I want 3 monitors:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I... and a graphics card to use with them and also to switch to a 55" LG 3D TV for 1080p 3d movie watching and maybe some gaming with MW3.

The comp will mostly be used fo multitasking office applications, internet, random other non-gaming (probably ) stuff.

I have 2.5 questions:

1- Whats the difference between 3 monitor eyefinity and 3 monitor non-eyefinity setup. Never had 3 monitors before. And I am only looking to have one application open on each monitor and not one huge display of firefox and the like.

2- Will this card be acceptable for the monitors and the uses I spoke of? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2.5- If I dont need eyefinity to have the layout i referred to in #1 can I still run the 3 monitors off of it, or would it be better to use only 2 monitors and let the integrated graphics run the 3rd monitor.

many thanks in advance!

More about : radeon 6770

a c 92 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 6:16:40 PM

1. eyefinity is for the whole desktop over 3 or more displays, generally used for multi monitor gaming. generally it just means you run 3 monitors with 1 card.

2. That card should be ok but will not game very well, it should still play mw3 on medium settings.

2.5 I don't see why not but you might as well run all 3 off the card as theres no reason to use the onboard video.
m
l
February 22, 2012 8:13:42 PM

So if I wanted 1 monitor with iTunes, one with Word, and one with youtube, I should use a non-eyefinity setup? Are Eyefinity cards capable of running non-eyefinity displays? So I could buy a card and play with the eyefinity if I wish?

Considering I have an XBOX that I thought I was already playing MW3 on medium settings. What card would you recommend for high settings?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 22, 2012 8:29:59 PM

Any windows computer can have a desktop that spans multiple screens. Eyefinity is when multiple screens become "grouped" into one large single surface. For instance (niche products aside) gaming on three monitors at once requires eyefinity or nvidia surround. But having a windows desktop with three or more monitors just requires enough functional graphics card outputs to drive the number of monitors you want.

Basically the sky is your limit. You sound like you don't want to spend enough to game effectively on the three screens all at once. But that's fine, you can still use one radeon graphics card to output to all your monitors, while only gaming on one.

You mentioned a 1080p TV that you'd like to game on. If you want a good gaming experience I wouldn't get anything less than a radeon 6850 for gaming on a single 1080p screen. The 6850 will still be able to output to three displays at once (some cards can do four if you want the HDTV hooked up too).

Here's a 6870 that I'll use as an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With TWO active miniDP -> DVI adapters (assuming your monitors use DVI) you could plug three monitors and one HDTV into that card for four total monitors. You actually wouldn't even need to enable eyefinity, you could just extend the desktop. The 6870 is powerful enough to run games @1080p pretty well while giving you all the connectivity for your multi-monitor setup.
m
l
February 22, 2012 9:30:43 PM

OK, Im starting to get it a bit now. So as I dont want to drop 200 on a card without knowing all the games I might play Id like to get a cheap card for now to run the 2 monitors (with Integrated graphics running the 3rd), or the 3 just for general non-gaming uses. Any specific cheap suggestions?
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 9:32:08 PM

I would suggest just getting a 6870 as its $150 on newegg and a very capible card. It will do all what you need it for and play games with high settings.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 10:24:28 PM

nice, that is also a nice choice.
m
l
!