GTX 560 Ti worth it over GTX 560?

level99

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hello,

I am trying to figure out If the 560 Ti is worth the money over the GTX 560 (non-Ti).

Today on Newegg I can get an MSI GTX 560 (non-ti) for $175 or a Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti for $210.

I play at 1920x1080. Is the Ti worth the extra $35?

Yes, but.....Don't get the Gigabyte version. there should be a EVGA edition for the same price. If not go check Ebay or Amazon for such for one. the 560 ti will be better. but what card do you have now. Cause by the time you buy that card, and kepler comes out. your gonna regret getting it. I sort of regret my SLI setup but i love my SLI so i broke a finger to save a arm.

hotthree

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
If you can wait, do so. Or buy a used card. Kepler is most likely coming within 1-2 months.

The first card planned for release is the 560 replacement. It will also lower prices on Amd's cards, and old previous gen versions as well.

But to answer your question disregarding what I have mentioned. The TI version is basically an overclocked/tweaked version of the same card with a small boost in performance. Is it worth $35 it really depends.

I think you can find a deal on a 560ti for less than $210. I got mine for $190 last April. Be patient and wait for a deal. Ti would be worth it if you do find a good deal.

Galaxy 560 ti is a great card and usually on sell/rebate.

level99

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

I just built a system, so all I have at the moment is the built in Intel Hd 2000. I got Batman Arkham city free with my SSD so I am all hyped to play it. I suppose I could wait for the new stuff or even buy one of these now and sell it at a slight loss later for one of the new ones later. Hmmm decisions....

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
"The GK104's performance is expected to exceed the GTX 580 at the $350 to $400 price range. In addition, it is expected to outperform AMD's HD 7950 at similar price point and challenge the HD 7970 for the performance crown."

While some folks like to have the newest thing out, others just want a card to play with for a good price. How long will it take for new technology to drive the price down? Months. How much will the price be driven down? I don't know.....let's say its $50. You can play a lot of games on your new 560 in that amount of time and really enjoy yourself. The Kepler is not going to come out in March, and then suddenly every other card will be $100.

To answer your question, there are tons of different versions of the 560 and the 560ti ranging from $150-$320. There are lots of reviews comparing them, and for the most part you will find that one card has a relatively small difference in FPS for m ost games. Is this worth $35 to YOU? For me, I paid low $200s for my MSI 560ti. I couldn't imagine paying $400 to get 80 fps instead of 50 fps when my human eye can't even really detect anything over 40 fps. But some folks want that.

It's really up to you and what you're willing to spend. The more you spend now, the longer your card will work before its obsolete. It all evens out, so don't sweat it too much, buy the one your heart tells you to buy :).

Here's some more info that may help, or may confuse you more. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4344/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-top-to-bottom-overclock/9

+1

The TI version is basically an overclocked/tweaked version of the same card with a small boost in performance.
No no no. The GTX 560 is a partially disabled version of the 560ti. The 560ti has a TON of overclocking headroom and is the best bang-for-buck on Nvidia's side right now.

I couldn't imagine paying $400 to get 80 fps instead of 50 fps when the human eye can't even really detect anything over 40 fps.
No no no. Read this catfish: http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html

level99

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
What is wrong with the Gigabyte version? The EVGA ones are a little more expensive from what I have seen and only have a single fan vs two on the gigabyte. I would think having two fans would be better especially with overclocking. Or am I wrong?

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Great link jeester! Ok, so good point, I hadn't thought of it that way.

But still, I think the thrust of my point was, buy the most you can afford, that will play the games you like now. I ordered the Ti, so it was worth it to me. But if you're just playing WoW and Pokemon, and $35 is a lot of money to you.....then don't sweat it. You could do the "just pay $25 more and you can have THIS" game all the way to $600 :).

The gigabyte is fine, so is the EVGA. I've been all over Newegg and Amazon last night and found prices all over the place because there are several variations of each brand. You can go crazy trying to make sure you get the best deal on the one you want. I think this is the one you mean? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125363, which is a fine choice. or this? omg there's like 50 of them, each with different prices. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125401

level99

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Yep that second one you linked to is the one I was talking about. I understand the whole "just pay $25 more and you can have THIS" all to well as I have already gone way over my original budget for my system. In all honesty I have always been a console gamer and was originally going to settle for using the built in graphics for the time being. It wasn't until I got the free Batman game that my plans changed. I am starting to think that maybe I am going overboard for just one game. Though it's always nice to have more platforms to game on.

I went through the same thing two months ago. I had an HD 5670 and was perfectly happy playing my games, and then my brother got me Crysis 2 for Xmas, and I had some cash from the holiday. It really is difficult deciding on a mid-range card. I went with the IceQ X HD 6870 because it was $170 for a very cool, quiet, and overclockable card that would play Crysis 2 nearly maxed. I could've gotten a 560ti or the HD 6950 for just a bit more, but I'm perfectly happy with the one I got.

I suggest an EVGA GTX 560 - they're great cards, and you'll have no problems playing any game you like. Especially if you're used to console games (mostly 720p @ 30fps - a $50 video card can manage that). PC games will seem silky-smooth and gorgeous in comparison.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

GTX 560 is a OCed and volted GTX 460 end of story TH did an article on it.

Yes, and not only that there are numerous factory overclocked versions that are the same price as the "reference" 560 Ti . Most of these come with beefed up VRM's and oversized coolers. If you plan on overclocking further, make sure you get one with 7 or more phase design.

What is wrong with the Gigabyte version? The EVGA ones are a little more expensive from what I have seen and only have a single fan vs two on the gigabyte. I would think having two fans would be better especially with overclocking. Or am I wrong ?

No, you're not. Unless the design has changed, only the EVGA "Classified" model has more than 4 phases..... all the others seem to have had only 4 phases, unless things have changed since the reviews. Gigabyte has a 7 phase 900Mhz 560 Ti for $5 less than the $210 you listed after $20 MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125363

Personally, I'm partial to the Asus model ($230) which I have had consistently been able to OC'd the bejeezes outta.....16 cards and counting easily exceeded 1000Mhz .... I have not yet attempted what this guy did tho....30% OC....yikes !

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121425

Son No. 2's box has twin Asus 560 Ti's currently OC'd to 980 Mhz...(was 1020 but as frame rates were more than enough, lowered speed to get below 80C under OCCT GPU test). He has Batman Arkham City and is playing on 120Hz monitor with the 3D glasses ..... the only problem I have w/ it is I can't get on the dang thing to play it.....was greatly impressed by the technology even though I had my mind set on it being a let down before hand.