Sign in with
Your question

Using HDTV as Monitor:widescreen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2012 5:09:25 PM

Hello,
I have a Dell Dimension 3000 (yeah I know, a dinosaur) with a Radeon 9250 graphics card which has vga and dvi-i outputs. I recently purchased a Toshiba 32" lcd tv. It has vga and hdmi inputs. I can connect to the tv with a the vga output, however the screen is cropped (pillarboxed). I tried to get a full screen through my video card but certain areas like 16:9 are greyed out. I'm wondering if this is because I'm connected with a vga cable. If so, would I get a better result using a dvi-i to hmdi cable? Or is something else the problem? I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks in advance.
February 22, 2012 5:15:46 PM

Your TV should have the ability to adjust to the correct aspect ratio. Check your remote.
February 22, 2012 5:19:51 PM

I don't thing it is a VGA problem. Try to change your graphic card's resolution via Control Panel or ATI control panel.
Related resources
February 22, 2012 5:21:40 PM

You should be able to go into your Catalyst control centre (right click on desktop) - find something called "Scaling" or "GPU scaling" and make it "fit" your screen.
February 23, 2012 12:54:58 PM

First of all, thank all of you for your help. I appreciate it.

When I go into the CCC all of the theater, full screen and clone buttons are greyed out. It simply won't allow me to access that section. Is there a reason for that?
!