Sign in with
Your question

Budget HD Editing System

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2012 1:25:24 AM

Hello, I have never built a system before. I am fairly broke, but need a budget system to edit HD footage on. It's mostly for personal use and side work, I am not doing hardcore 4k resolution work, but need something that meets budget and performance. In short: I am willing to wait the extra 18 seconds per render if it saves me a few hundred bucks.

I will NOT be doing any FX heavy work in after effects, photoshop, etc. This will be minimal visual FX (mostly color correction) and just needs to be able to handle editing 1080 clips fairly well in programs like Adobe Premiere.

Right now I have these components in mind:

ASUS VH236H 23 Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - $158

Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt power suply- $63

DVD Drive- $23

Now, I own a fairly new 500GB and 500Gb external drive that can get me through, so I can hold out on getting more space for now. I need to get a case, motherboard, CPU and RAM.

My budget for these four things is about $450.

I was going to go with an Intel i5 since it would give me an easy upgrade later, but I do not think I can get away with it. The other route is obviously AMD but I have no clue if their best processors can even match i3 much less i5 or i7- I honestly have no real world experience with them.

***I realize I can probably get away with the 500w corsair, but I'm sort of paranoid about power supplies, so maybe let me know...I do not plan on getting a seperate graphics card, if I can get a motherboard with a built in basic GPU, it would be fine. This WILL NOT be used for GAMING.

Anyway, thanks for any help...

More about : budget editing system

April 30, 2012 1:41:24 AM

spending ~220$ on an i5-3550(HD 4000 graphics supposedly is a decently large step compared to the previous HD 3000), ~130 on a mobo and the last 100 on a case+ram is doable
m
l
April 30, 2012 1:56:42 AM

Any specific suggestions? This would all be pushing my limit, if I can get away with 4GB Ram and Corsair 500w, cheap, no frills case, etc. I just do not know what is good and what is junk really.
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2012 2:01:14 AM

I havent worked with HD editing or footage so i wouldnt know which area to start in first.
m
l
April 30, 2012 2:07:35 AM

OK thanks anyway.

The biggest thing I am concerned about is getting a good mobo and CPU, and getting cheaper everything else as long as it won't fall apart. So like- no frills case, a mid range power supply that I can trust, decent RAM but nothing overkill...

Like I said, anyone that can chime in with some suggestions, it'd be great. I have my limit at 450, but if you can get it even closer to 400 it'd be swell.
m
l
April 30, 2012 2:17:29 AM

ima attempt to build up something, but im going to ask if you ever are going to add a gpu in the distant future, (im going to assume you are never going to overclock and need 2 gpus) and if you ever need any normal pci slots
m
l
April 30, 2012 2:28:47 AM

I will never need crossfire and I doubt VERY VERY highly I will ever need a good GPU. I do not play games and most HD editing does not use a GPU, believe it or not.

Most video editing programs are starting to integrate GPU usage for FX heavy work, but not for the actual HD video (that's all CPU and sometimes RAM). In any case, if I ever got to the point where I was editing stuff like that, I will probably have made enough money to upgrade everything.

So: no, no GPU or cross fire.

This is my current build I have loaded on Amazon (all qualifying for their free shipping!):

Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX ($46)

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 LGA 1155 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s DDR3 2133 ATX Motherboard - ($100)

Intel Core i5 3550 Processor 3.3 4 BX80637I53550 ($220)

Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) ($23)

ASUS VH236H 23 Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black ($158)

NZXT M59 Classic Series ATX Mid Tower interior chassis M59-001BK (Black) ($50)

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Series 500W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply (RS500-PCARD3-US) ($40)

All together it will cost $636 shipped. I can buy some HDDs later on. See anything wrong? If I do not add a GPU, can I get by with 500w? Is the motherboard all right?
m
l
April 30, 2012 2:33:07 AM

jpastuch said:
-snip-

500w is fine for a gpu, assuming that nothing on the computer is overclocked and the amperage on the 12+ rail is in order

edit: also your going to need a h77/z75/z77/b75 board to use the ivy bridge processor. unless you have another socket 1155 processor to flash the bios on a z68, the z68 innately do not have the ability to run ivy bridge until so.

if you have absolutely no desire for a high end gpu ever, than a b75 or h77 board will do(budget boards) assuming you have little to no interest in overclocking as well. with that extra money you dont need in a mobo, you can spend it on more ram for several program speed, or get a better case

edit2: though look for a mobo with the correct number of fan headers for your case.
m
l
April 30, 2012 2:46:13 AM

OK, for the same price ($100) I can get Gigabyte Intel H77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX DVI/HDMI Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-H77-DS3H

So i guess that works....
m
l
April 30, 2012 2:34:20 PM

Just to be clear, with the i5 ivybridge, I'll have integrated graphics? I won't need a seperate graphics card since I am not going to be gaming, right?
m
l
April 30, 2012 3:34:50 PM

Hmm...hate to be indecisive, but would I be better off with a Bulldozer for video editing in premiere?

I will not be doing any gaming or 3d rendering, and going AMD for the cpu and board would save me a bit of cash...and from what I'm reading, the Bulldozer may outperform the i5 in rendering time in video editing...

The problem is every discussion for this is focused on gaming, where the i5 apparently beats out Bulldozer for gaming. But I do not care about gaming, and I can't seem to get very clear comparisons for HD video editing...

Also, if I go Bulldozer, will I have to buy a separate graphics card?
If I go with the i5, will I need to buy a heatsink and fan separately, or does it come with one?

Sorry for so many questions, I am clueless...
m
l
April 30, 2012 3:50:34 PM

the intel based line comes with a cpu fan, which is more than enough if you dont overclock. as for using the bulldozer(fx series), comparing the i5-2400(last gen version of the i5-3550) to the fx-8150(220$ fx series bulldozer cpu) Here, pay attention to things like video encoding, at stock clocks, the i5-2400 still performs better, and since the i5-3550 is the next gen, the gap should widen.
m
l
April 30, 2012 3:59:15 PM

I have no intentions of OCing, if anything I will update to a better chip (if possible with an H77 board? Can I technically jump to an i7 with that?)

But yeah, thanks for all that info. It's clear the Bulldozer lacks in gaming, but since I do not care about gaming AT ALL, it's hard to gauge the performance with something like Premiere.

My one concern is will editing program performance suffer from not having HT with the i5? I guess it will depend on the program and future releases, but for my budget I can't ask for too much.
m
l
May 1, 2012 6:58:11 PM

Hey everyone, one last thing- a little worried about my PSU. will the "Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Series 500W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply" be reliable enough?

I realize any PSU could fail, but should I upgrade to the Corsair Builder 600w? The only additional things I will add to my PC in the near future would be 1 or 2 HDDs (both external and internal), some USB sticks, a firewire card- those types of things. No video card though.

Will that extra stuff draw that much more power?
m
l
!