Random lock up and freezes

xJakex068

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Hello,

I've been having a bit of a problem with my pc for some time now and It's getting a tad annoying so i figured I'd ask here to see if I could get some help. I'm not too tech savvy, so If you guys could dumb stuff down for me that would be brilliant haha.

I built my pc about 3 years ago and it was running completely stable for about 2 years until I decided to replace my gpu and psu. I was running a geforce 9600gt gpu and I had a 500w antec basiq psu. I replaced it with a Radeon 5770 and an Antec TruePower 650w psu. I also made an attempt to overclock my cpu (which I returned to normal after my pc became unstable) and I finally successfully did and it was running fairly stable for about a week when all of the sudden I started getting random lock ups.

The lock ups would come at totally random times there seemed to be no pattern to them at all. I wouldn't get any bsod or error message just a total lock up of my system. My mouse would quit working along with my keyboard and all sound being played would freeze up and make a stuttering sound. I would have to do a hard reboot and often times right after the first freeze my pc would lock up during the windows loading screen and 1-2 minutes after I get onto windows.

Often times I would let my pc set for a while and then my computer would start up and run for a couple hours before randomly freezing again. So, I began thinking it was a heating problem. I ran OCCT on my cpu and it came back with an avg temp of about 60 degrees celsius and no errors.

I updated the bios on my motherboard and that seemed to work for a while, but then I started getting random lock ups again.

Ran my pc in safe mode and still got a random lock up.

It also seems that my computer completely stable whenever I remove my GPU, but what's really stumping me is that I ran memtest86+ the other day and get memory errors with both of my ram sticks inserted, but whenever I tested each stick individually I got 0 errors. So I think I have it narrowed down to either a gpu problem, or a memory problem, or both. I'm not entirely sure though.

Right now I'm totally confused. If someone could help me out that would be great.

xJakex068

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I forgot to mention I bumped the voltage up on my ram from 1.8 to 1.85 and ran memtest86 through 6 passes and got zero errors, so I assumed that may have been what was causing my ram to be giving errors.