What do you think is the best controller? rugged

Last response: in Video Games
June 9, 2005 9:23:26 PM

I have had it with the S controllers. My kids are relatively mild on them
but damn it if I don't have 3 controllers and not a single one works. The
cords are so fragile.

I remember when I was a kid, you could swing the nintendo controllers around
and whack your buddy and they'd never miss a beat.

Anyway, I am going to need to get some new controllers soon and I wonder if
there is a more rugged version. The S version fits our hands well but just
too damn fragile.

Any tips appreciated!
--Dan

More about : controller rugged

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:23:27 PM

> I have had it with the S controllers. My kids are relatively mild on them
> but damn it if I don't have 3 controllers and not a single one works. The
> cords are so fragile.

> Any tips appreciated!

It's clearly time to replace the children.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:23:27 PM

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have had it with the S controllers. My kids are relatively mild on them
> but damn it if I don't have 3 controllers and not a single one works. The
> cords are so fragile.
>
> I remember when I was a kid, you could swing the nintendo controllers
around
> and whack your buddy and they'd never miss a beat.
>
> Anyway, I am going to need to get some new controllers soon and I wonder
if
> there is a more rugged version. The S version fits our hands well but
just
> too damn fragile.
>
> Any tips appreciated!
> --Dan

if your kids are relatively mild you wouldn't have 3 busted controllers, and
what did you manage to do to the cords of all thing?!, rip them out of the
controllers?

a tip?, learn to handle controllers properly
Related resources
June 9, 2005 9:23:27 PM

dg wrote:
> I have had it with the S controllers. My kids are relatively mild on them
> but damn it if I don't have 3 controllers and not a single one works. The
> cords are so fragile.
>
> I remember when I was a kid, you could swing the nintendo controllers around
> and whack your buddy and they'd never miss a beat.
>
> Anyway, I am going to need to get some new controllers soon and I wonder if
> there is a more rugged version. The S version fits our hands well but just
> too damn fragile.
>
> Any tips appreciated!
> --Dan

Get cordless controllers. If your kids are that bad buy the cheapest
off brand you can find.

My controllers work great and I've chucked them pretty good on
occasion. Except for one... Final DOA3 boss
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:37:33 AM

I HATE S CONTROLLER. I BOUGHT IT FEW WEEKS AGO AND ITS HORRIBLE MAINLY
BECAUSE IT DOESN'T RESPOND VERY QUICKLY. YOU SOMTIMES HAVE TO PRESS THREE OR
FOUR TIMES BEFORE IT DOES ACTION. I HAVE REVERTED TO MY ORIGINAL XBOX
CONTROLLER. I LIKE THE SHAPE OF S BUT TIME DELAY IS BAD, REALLY BAD

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have had it with the S controllers. My kids are relatively mild on them
>but damn it if I don't have 3 controllers and not a single one works. The
>cords are so fragile.
>
> I remember when I was a kid, you could swing the nintendo controllers
> around and whack your buddy and they'd never miss a beat.
>
> Anyway, I am going to need to get some new controllers soon and I wonder
> if there is a more rugged version. The S version fits our hands well but
> just too damn fragile.
>
> Any tips appreciated!
> --Dan

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:27:06 AM

Wurm wrote:
> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have had it with the S controllers. My kids are relatively mild on them
>>but damn it if I don't have 3 controllers and not a single one works. The
>>cords are so fragile.
>>
>>I remember when I was a kid, you could swing the nintendo controllers
>
> around
>
>>and whack your buddy and they'd never miss a beat.
>>
>>Anyway, I am going to need to get some new controllers soon and I wonder
>
> if
>
>>there is a more rugged version. The S version fits our hands well but
>
> just
>
>>too damn fragile.
>>
>>Any tips appreciated!
>>--Dan
>>

> if your kids are relatively mild you wouldn't have 3 busted controllers, and
> what did you manage to do to the cords of all thing?!, rip them out of the
> controllers?

I would guess they're playing Lariat Larry.

> a tip?, learn to handle controllers properly
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:28:17 AM

jkl <ahmedbasic@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I HATE S CONTROLLER. I BOUGHT IT FEW WEEKS AGO AND ITS HORRIBLE MAINLY
> BECAUSE IT DOESN'T RESPOND VERY QUICKLY. YOU SOMTIMES HAVE TO PRESS THREE OR
> FOUR TIMES BEFORE IT DOES ACTION. I HAVE REVERTED TO MY ORIGINAL XBOX
> CONTROLLER. I LIKE THE SHAPE OF S BUT TIME DELAY IS BAD, REALLY BAD

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THAT MAYBE YOU GOT A DEFECTIVE S CONTROLLER? DID YOU
TRY ANOTHER ONE BEFORE YELLING ABOUT THEM HERE?
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:17:33 AM

"defecto" <defecto@moontan.org> wrote in message
> Are you winding up the cables around the controllers when you are done
> playing?
>
> I've seen some pretty ratty looking cables from people who do that.

Actually, they HAVE been wound around a few times by my wife. I suppose
that could be the problem really! I know I have seen people wind cords
around soldering irons and make the cords look damn bad from all the
twisting/untwisting, so perhaps that IS the cause of my cable woes even
though my cables LOOK good. So I take it you guys just don't have trouble
with the factory S controllers? Honestly I don't know a whole lot of people
with Xboxs. 2 friends of mine are the only other people who I know with
Xboxs and both of them also have controllers stop working, I don't know if
their problem was the cable.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:52:30 PM

> "defecto" <defecto@moontan.org> wrote in message
>> Are you winding up the cables around the controllers when you are done
>> playing?
>>
>> I've seen some pretty ratty looking cables from people who do that.
>>
> Actually, they HAVE been wound around a few times by my wife. I suppose
> that could be the problem really! I know I have seen people wind cords
> around soldering irons and make the cords look damn bad from all the
> twisting/untwisting, so perhaps that IS the cause of my cable woes even
> though my cables LOOK good. So I take it you guys just don't have trouble
> with the factory S controllers? Honestly I don't know a whole lot of
> people with Xboxs. 2 friends of mine are the only other people who I know
> with Xboxs and both of them also have controllers stop working, I don't
> know if their problem was the cable.

I play a lot, but have never had a problem with a cable. I also don't wrap
the cables when the controller is not in use.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:52:34 PM

I don't believe I've ever had a problem with rolling my controllers up,
going back to the NES days. Actually, the only problem I've had ever
since I left home to go to school (I was more docile than my brothers
were) is when I spilled something on my Dual Shock and the Analog
sticks would go out every once in a while. The other PS2, 3 GC (well,
one's a Wavebird), and 2 Xbox (S) controllers have withstood an awful
lot of winding and tangling. I even wound my GBA-GC link cables around
the GBAs when I was playing FF:CC regularly without a problem.

The systems prior to that I had when I lived at home, where my youngest
brother would regularly bash the controller off the ground or wing it
against the stone fireplace when he lost. I always told him, "it's not
the controller's fault," but this seemed to make him more angry :)

Oh well, at least we're going (mostly) wireless in the next generation
and discussions like this won't occur. The cable-winding part, I mean.
I don't imagine bludgeoning things with controllers will stop anytime
soon.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:34:04 PM

dg <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, they HAVE been wound around a few times by my wife. I suppose
> that could be the problem really! I know I have seen people wind cords
> around soldering irons and make the cords look damn bad from all the
> twisting/untwisting, so perhaps that IS the cause of my cable woes even
> though my cables LOOK good. So I take it you guys just don't have trouble
> with the factory S controllers? Honestly I don't know a whole lot of people
> with Xboxs. 2 friends of mine are the only other people who I know with
> Xboxs and both of them also have controllers stop working, I don't know if
> their problem was the cable.

I only wind cables if I'm not going to be using the device for a long
time. Even then, wind loosely. This isn't like the powercord on a vacuum
cleaner! But I still can't see how even ocassionally wrapping the cords
would damage them to the point where the controller wouldn't work
anymore...
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:50:35 AM

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
> dg <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually, they HAVE been wound around a few times by my wife. I suppose
>> that could be the problem really! I know I have seen people wind cords
>> around soldering irons and make the cords look damn bad from all the
>> twisting/untwisting, so perhaps that IS the cause of my cable woes even
>> though my cables LOOK good. So I take it you guys just don't have
>> trouble
>> with the factory S controllers? Honestly I don't know a whole lot of
>> people
>> with Xboxs. 2 friends of mine are the only other people who I know with
>> Xboxs and both of them also have controllers stop working, I don't know
>> if
>> their problem was the cable.
>
> I only wind cables if I'm not going to be using the device for a long
> time. Even then, wind loosely. This isn't like the powercord on a vacuum
> cleaner! But I still can't see how even ocassionally wrapping the cords
> would damage them to the point where the controller wouldn't work
> anymore...

It shouldn't hurt to do it occasionally, and especially if done loosely.
I've noticed before having bad connections when using other people's phones.
You know, the spiral chords that for some reason some people are completely
unable to keep from becoming a tangled up mess. Figured maybe it was the
same type of situation.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:14:11 AM

"dg" wrote in message

> I may go cordless but I am afraid they won't work as well or as fast from
> the processing delays which no doubt exist, however small. I guess I just
> have to gamble and try one out.
>
> --Dan

Give it a shot. I've been using two cheap wireless Pelican Eclipse
controllers for a couple years now and (except when batteries need to be
replaced) experience no disadvantage over a wired controller at all. Even
games that require very precise analog control (racers such as "Forza
Motorsports") work just fine wirelessly.

I can't recommend the Pelican Eclipse in your situation (with kids handly
controllers roughly) though. They are cheap ($30), work great, but aren't
the most solidly constructed controllers out there. Drop one of these
controllers from a decent height and it'll probably crack.

Google some reviews. The Logitech wireless controllers, from what I've read
in past, are supposed to be constructed very well (rugged). Twice, if not
triple, the $$ though.

Cheers,
-E
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:59:37 AM

Eras said

snip
> handly controllers roughly) though. They are cheap ($30), work great,
> but aren't the most solidly constructed controllers out there. Drop
> one of these controllers from a decent height and it'll probably
> crack.
>
> Google some reviews. The Logitech wireless controllers, from what
> I've read in past, are supposed to be constructed very well (rugged).
> Twice, if not triple, the $$ though.
>
> Cheers,
> -E

Uh, no they're not $90 :p  Not even twice, they're $50.

--
http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?name=GodMagnus
Anonymous

jkl said

> I HATE S CONTROLLER. I BOUGHT IT FEW WEEKS AGO AND ITS HORRIBLE MAINLY
> BECAUSE IT DOESN'T RESPOND VERY QUICKLY. YOU SOMTIMES HAVE TO PRESS
> THREE OR FOUR TIMES BEFORE IT DOES ACTION. I HAVE REVERTED TO MY
> ORIGINAL XBOX CONTROLLER. I LIKE THE SHAPE OF S BUT TIME DELAY IS BAD,
> REALLY BAD

For at least two reasons... you're an idiot.

--
http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?name=GodMagnus
!