Establishing a 1.5 mi link between houses

stoopalini

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Hello,

Like a lot of other folks, I live in a very rural location with very few high speed Internet options. Unlike a lot of others, i have a relative 1.5 miles away who does have a high speed internet connection and is willing to up their package and split the cost with me. We've each gone up on our roofs with binoculars and confirmed we have a good line of sight, so setting up a long range point-to-point connection is what I am looking to do.

I already have a Tranzeo CPQ (TR6) to place on my roof (destination), so I just need something on my relative's house (source) to connect with. My initial thought was just to pick up another Tranzeo unit like mine from eBay for $100, but after doing some research, it appears the Tranzeo unit I have can only act as a client at the destination, so placing one at the source won't work ... or am I wrong here?

I have used my Tranzeo in the past over a much shorter distance (<800ft) to link up with a consumer Belkin N router, and it worked fine. For this new setup, I'm looking to connect the source's long range unit into my relative's router, then connect the Tranzeo on my roof to my router's WAN port. This way, my router will receive a DHCP address from my relatives router. Does this sound reasonable?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thomas.

stoopalini

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Thanks, but can you recommend a specific product to try?

edit: Oh, I see, those are homemade antenna. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather buy a device for reliability, as I telecommute and having high speed Internet is critical so I can work reliably.

stoopalini

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Why do you say that, are the Nanostations prone to moisture issues? If so, anything I can do to counteract it?

I'm in central Texas and we haven't seen rain in a looong time, so it probably won't be an issue until winter rolls around