Laptop stolen; want to install XP on new laptop

Hello,

My daughter had her laptop stolen. It had Windows XP Home installed. She
bought a new laptop (refurbished) which came with Windows 98. I still have
the disk (Windows XP Home) and would like to install XP onto the new
computer. However, I know that this version of XP was registered to the old
computer. What can I do? The thief should not profit from my loss.

Thanks, Jim
17 answers Last reply
More about laptop stolen install laptop

    When your laptop was stolen, the Windows XP
    license was also stolen. You'll have to purchase
    a new version of Windows XP.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "jjprzy" wrote:

    | Hello,
    |
    | My daughter had her laptop stolen. It had Windows XP Home installed. She
    | bought a new laptop (refurbished) which came with Windows 98. I still have
    | the disk (Windows XP Home) and would like to install XP onto the new
    | computer. However, I know that this version of XP was registered to the old
    | computer. What can I do? The thief should not profit from my loss.
    |
    | Thanks, Jim

    Was Windows XP OEM or Retail?

    If Windows XP is retail and you still have the original CD, Product
    Key etc, you still own the right to install it on another computer.
    Whether it was activated/registered on the original computer makes no
    difference.
    However if Windows XP is OEM, it was stolen with the computer and
    needs to be included in the police report as well as insurance claims.
    Normally OEM is permanently tied to the original computer regardless
    the condition of the original computer.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "jjprzy" <jjprzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My daughter had her laptop stolen. It had Windows XP Home installed.
    > She
    > bought a new laptop (refurbished) which came with Windows 98. I
    > still have
    > the disk (Windows XP Home) and would like to install XP onto the new
    > computer. However, I know that this version of XP was registered to
    > the old
    > computer. What can I do? The thief should not profit from my loss.
    >
    > Thanks, Jim

    If it's XP upgrade or full then just install it.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "jjprzy" <jjprzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD5647E0-EE40-482B-8BE3-7F67968A08E7@microsoft.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > My daughter had her laptop stolen. It had Windows XP Home installed. She
    > bought a new laptop (refurbished) which came with Windows 98. I still have
    > the disk (Windows XP Home) and would like to install XP onto the new
    > computer. However, I know that this version of XP was registered to the old
    > computer. What can I do? The thief should not profit from my loss.
    >
    > Thanks, Jim

    Hello David,
    You don't think there will be any problems getting updates? Even though the
    original version of XP was registered to the stolen laptop?
    Jim

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > If it's XP upgrade or full then just install it.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "jjprzy" <jjprzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD5647E0-EE40-482B-8BE3-7F67968A08E7@microsoft.com...
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > My daughter had her laptop stolen. It had Windows XP Home installed. She
    > > bought a new laptop (refurbished) which came with Windows 98. I still have
    > > the disk (Windows XP Home) and would like to install XP onto the new
    > > computer. However, I know that this version of XP was registered to the old
    > > computer. What can I do? The thief should not profit from my loss.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Jim

    Not if it's a retail or upgrade version.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "jjprzy" <jjprzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDDD1E4E-BA4F-4EE8-BDA9-86CB80FB8D8F@microsoft.com...
    > Hello David,
    > You don't think there will be any problems getting updates? Even though the
    > original version of XP was registered to the stolen laptop?
    > Jim
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> If it's XP upgrade or full then just install it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "jjprzy" <jjprzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD5647E0-EE40-482B-8BE3-7F67968A08E7@microsoft.com...
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > My daughter had her laptop stolen. It had Windows XP Home installed. She
    >> > bought a new laptop (refurbished) which came with Windows 98. I still have
    >> > the disk (Windows XP Home) and would like to install XP onto the new
    >> > computer. However, I know that this version of XP was registered to the old
    >> > computer. What can I do? The thief should not profit from my loss.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks, Jim

    How can the license be transferred. Are you saying a theft should transfer rights? Remember one of 6 essential elements is that an enforceabe contract must be in accord with public policy. Plus how does one steal a perpetual right to use.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:u3qR%237a1EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > When your laptop was stolen, the Windows XP
    > license was also stolen. You'll have to purchase
    > a new version of Windows XP.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "jjprzy" wrote:
    >
    > | Hello,
    > |
    > | My daughter had her laptop stolen. It had Windows XP Home installed. She
    > | bought a new laptop (refurbished) which came with Windows 98. I still have
    > | the disk (Windows XP Home) and would like to install XP onto the new
    > | computer. However, I know that this version of XP was registered to the old
    > | computer. What can I do? The thief should not profit from my loss.
    > |
    > | Thanks, Jim

    The correct answer is that the thief is pirating XP. There was no transfer of license.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:u3qR%237a1EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > When your laptop was stolen, the Windows XP
    > license was also stolen. You'll have to purchase
    > a new version of Windows XP.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "jjprzy" wrote:
    >
    > | Hello,
    > |
    > | My daughter had her laptop stolen. It had Windows XP Home installed. She
    > | bought a new laptop (refurbished) which came with Windows 98. I still have
    > | the disk (Windows XP Home) and would like to install XP onto the new
    > | computer. However, I know that this version of XP was registered to the old
    > | computer. What can I do? The thief should not profit from my loss.
    > |
    > | Thanks, Jim

    I've tried to reply now 3 times... I believe you are right. There was no
    transfer of license. However, I am worried that after I install XP, I may not
    be able to get updates to the software, because someone else out there has my
    daughter's computer with my registered version of XP on it.
    Jim

    "jjprzy" wrote:

    | I've tried to reply now 3 times... I believe you are right. There was no
    | transfer of license. However, I am worried that after I install XP, I may not
    | be able to get updates to the software, because someone else out there has my
    | daughter's computer with my registered version of XP on it.
    | Jim
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > When your laptop was stolen, the Windows XP
    > license was also stolen. You'll have to purchase
    > a new version of Windows XP.

    Carey,

    This is only true *if* the copy of Windows XP installed on the laptop was an
    OEM, Truthfully, this sounds likely in most cases, but given that somehow
    this person bought a new (refurbished) laptop (NOW) and it came with
    Windows 98 installed on it, it is entirely likely their old laptop also came
    with an older version of the OS and they had indeed, purchased an upgrade
    version of Windows XP.

    *If* they had bought a retail or upgrade version of Windows XP to take the
    old laptop from Windows whatever to Windows XP, then as llong as they still
    hold the license agreement for that copy - it is theirs to do with as they
    please.

    Not to mention that from a totally non-legal standpoint - if it has been
    more than 120 days since they activated the copy of Windows XP on the
    Internet anyway - they won't have any trouble in 99% of the cases.

    Can it be installed and the user have no trouble updating in the future -
    yes, if we were given all the information.

    No where did the OP explain whether or not the copy of Windows XP in
    question that was installed on the original laptop was an OEM copy (that
    came with the original laptop or they purchased and used to clean install
    Windows XP onto the original laptop) or if it was an UPGRADE copy or full
    RETAIL copy. If it was the latter, then even in the most obscure legal
    terms, they have a full right to now install it on another machine as for
    all intents and purposes (legally - for them) - the previous installation
    was undone when the laptop was stolen/destroyed (in legal terms.) With the
    OEM copy - it is not as clear as all that - but from a totally technical
    standpoint, unless the copy of Windows XP was suited only to the original
    laptop in some way (unlikely - but possible) - it will be easily installed
    and activated - given the 120 day activation timeframe has passed - and
    they will notice no ill effects EVER with updates/patches..

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Following your logic, if the OP has the serial number of the stolen laptop,
    all they need to do is contact the manufacturer of the laptop, provide
    them with the stolen laptop's serial number, and the manufacturer will
    gladly send them a new laptop.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    | Carey,
    |
    | This is only true *if* the copy of Windows XP installed on the laptop was an
    | OEM, Truthfully, this sounds likely in most cases, but given that somehow
    | this person bought a new (refurbished) laptop (NOW) and it came with
    | Windows 98 installed on it, it is entirely likely their old laptop also came
    | with an older version of the OS and they had indeed, purchased an upgrade
    | version of Windows XP.
    |
    | *If* they had bought a retail or upgrade version of Windows XP to take the
    | old laptop from Windows whatever to Windows XP, then as llong as they still
    | hold the license agreement for that copy - it is theirs to do with as they
    | please.
    |
    | Not to mention that from a totally non-legal standpoint - if it has been
    | more than 120 days since they activated the copy of Windows XP on the
    | Internet anyway - they won't have any trouble in 99% of the cases.
    |
    | Can it be installed and the user have no trouble updating in the future -
    | yes, if we were given all the information.
    |
    | No where did the OP explain whether or not the copy of Windows XP in
    | question that was installed on the original laptop was an OEM copy (that
    | came with the original laptop or they purchased and used to clean install
    | Windows XP onto the original laptop) or if it was an UPGRADE copy or full
    | RETAIL copy. If it was the latter, then even in the most obscure legal
    | terms, they have a full right to now install it on another machine as for
    | all intents and purposes (legally - for them) - the previous installation
    | was undone when the laptop was stolen/destroyed (in legal terms.) With the
    | OEM copy - it is not as clear as all that - but from a totally technical
    | standpoint, unless the copy of Windows XP was suited only to the original
    | laptop in some way (unlikely - but possible) - it will be easily installed
    | and activated - given the 120 day activation timeframe has passed - and
    | they will notice no ill effects EVER with updates/patches..
    |
    | --
    | <- Shenan ->
    | --
    | The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    | yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    | responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    | getting into before you jump in with both feet.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Following your logic, if the OP has the serial number of the stolen
    > laptop, all they need to do is contact the manufacturer of the
    > laptop, provide them with the stolen laptop's serial number, and the
    > manufacturer will gladly send them a new laptop.

    No.

    Following my logic and the EULA, the OP purchased (if they purchased a
    retail/upgrade version of Windows XP) "the right to install and use" - not
    an actual product as in the case of the laptop, where they purchased an
    actual physical object.

    The difference is in what they purchased.

    Laptop - the physical object - portable computer (obviously too portable.
    *grin*).
    Windows XP (Retail or Upgrade) - the right to install and use on one
    computer (license).

    It's harder to steal a "right to install and use" (license) than the laptop
    itself. If they still have the receipt/proof of purchase/COA - then that
    license for Windows XP (retail/upgrade version) is still theirs - no matter
    where they decide to put it.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    If it's a retail or upgrade version it's fine. How many yimews do I have to say this.
    http://www.uscricket.com
    "jjprzy" <jjprzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:383F5EC4-60B8-4AE9-AED9-D81829B9DE5B@microsoft.com...
    > I've tried to reply now 3 times... I believe you are right. There was no
    > transfer of license. However, I am worried that after I install XP, I may not
    > be able to get updates to the software, because someone else out there has my
    > daughter's computer with my registered version of XP on it.
    > Jim
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> The correct answer is that the thief is pirating XP. There was no transfer of license.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:u3qR%237a1EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> > When your laptop was stolen, the Windows XP
    >> > license was also stolen. You'll have to purchase
    >> > a new version of Windows XP.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Carey Frisch
    >> > Microsoft MVP
    >> > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> >
    >> > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >> >
    >> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    OK, thanks. I will try it out.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > If it's a retail or upgrade version it's fine. How many yimews do I have to say this.
    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "jjprzy" <jjprzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:383F5EC4-60B8-4AE9-AED9-D81829B9DE5B@microsoft.com...
    > > I've tried to reply now 3 times... I believe you are right. There was no
    > > transfer of license. However, I am worried that after I install XP, I may not
    > > be able to get updates to the software, because someone else out there has my
    > > daughter's computer with my registered version of XP on it.
    > > Jim
    > >
    > > "David Candy" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The correct answer is that the thief is pirating XP. There was no transfer of license.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> http://www.uscricket.com

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "jjprzy" <jjprzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My daughter had her laptop stolen. It had Windows XP Home installed. She
    > bought a new laptop (refurbished) which came with Windows 98. I still
    > have
    > the disk (Windows XP Home) and would like to install XP onto the new
    > computer. However, I know that this version of XP was registered to the
    > old
    > computer. What can I do? The thief should not profit from my loss.
    >
    > Thanks, Jim

    Get the software stuck in it. You`ll have no problems.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    That's how I see it as well.

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> a écrit dans le message
    de news:%23yqrQud1EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Was Windows XP OEM or Retail?
    >
    > If Windows XP is retail and you still have the original CD, Product
    > Key etc, you still own the right to install it on another computer.
    > Whether it was activated/registered on the original computer makes no
    > difference.
    > However if Windows XP is OEM, it was stolen with the computer and
    > needs to be included in the police report as well as insurance claims.
    > Normally OEM is permanently tied to the original computer regardless
    > the condition of the original computer.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "jjprzy" <jjprzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > My daughter had her laptop stolen. It had Windows XP Home installed.
    > > She
    > > bought a new laptop (refurbished) which came with Windows 98. I
    > > still have
    > > the disk (Windows XP Home) and would like to install XP onto the new
    > > computer. However, I know that this version of XP was registered to
    > > the old
    > > computer. What can I do? The thief should not profit from my loss.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Jim

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Are you like..... a retarded person?
    Do you actually idiot proof your posts prior sending them? guess not.

Configuration Laptops Windows XP