The FX series is not much of an improvement over Phenom II. There are a few specific situations where the FX is better than the Phenom II (I don't know which off-hand), but more or less they have very similar performance.

The only area where the FX beats the Phenom II is power consumption. Umm... the FX consumes more watts for the same performance level than the Phenom II... so I guess you can say the FX wins in this department if "bigger is better".

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

A bigger power bill is a fail. I would recommend an i7.

If you already have the CPU, I would keep it, I don't see as how it would really be justifiable to drop another $110 on a Phenom II. But, yes the P IIs are better CPUs.

As far as power consumption, its not like its going to add another $2000 bucks a year to your electricity bill.. Maybe an extra $2 a month, and even that is probably an exaggeration.

You said that you're concerned about what other people said. I'll ask you, have you used the CPU? Do you find it meets your needs? If the answer is yes to both of these questions, screw what anyone else thinks.

robinsblade

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

yes i have used it(right now actualy :p) but i ask because alot of games give major lag with 40% and less cpu usage.(according to taskmanager)

and i dont think the graphics is the issue(but it could be).
its a http://us.msi.com/product/vga/R6770-MD1GD5.html

its good IMO but i wonder if its that because the computer only lags for 2 reasons 1 when im playing certain games(some are like "Orc Must Die! 2"(with vsync enabled(and cpu tops around 60% with google chrome,skype, and AV on)) some games when high aura effects are used which also adds audio skips)

and when the graphics(bc i dont have a cpu temp checking program) gets to a certain temperature(50-60 C).
i can fix this part with a fan but im a bit broke atm for something that is not a major issue.( and i use a external mini turbo fan to pump cold air into the side of the case)

P.s can someone explain to me what ivy bridge is :p everyone is saying to upgrade to that or i5/i7 and what would be the equivlent to an i5 and i7 in AMD.

In what games are you lagging in? What detail settings are you playing them, it actually very likely is the graphics card. A 6770 is not a particularly powerful gaming card, and for all that the FX-4100s shortcomings, a 6770 probably will bottleneck it. Also, try turning vsync off.

I've never heard of Orc Must Die lol. Ironically, I have heard of Space Bunnies Must Die!, I know what an obscure game title, but I swear its real, and its probably one of the most ridiculously funny games I've ever played.

P.s can someone explain to me what ivy bridge is :p everyone is saying to upgrade to that or i5/i7 and what would be the equivlent to an i5 and i7 in AMD.

Ivy Bridge is a codename for a generation of processors. Like Bulldozer is the code name for the AMD FX series CPUs. Ivy Bridge would be your i5-3450s/3550/3570K, etc. Sandy Bridge was the generation prior to that, i5-2400, 2300, 2500K, etc.

As far as upgrading to an i5/i7. I won't lie to you, thats what you should have done in the first place, but anyone making blanket statements like that quite frankly I wouldn't take advice from. As far as an AMD equivalent, depends. Technically Bulldozer FX-8120/8150 are, but more often than not they fall short of i5 performance. nothing AMD has can really match an i7 however. My Phenom II overclocked to 4.0GHZ is actually better than my i5-2300, but thats because the i5-23xx series have shitty clock speeds.

They didn't bother to find out other information, like the graphics card you're running, or any other potentially relevant information. Nor did they care that you have already spent money on this system and would basically be throwing it in the trash. This is why you don't listen to fanboys lol.

Speaking of relevant information, what is the full specs of this system? If you have a decent motherboard, I'd wait to see what PileDriver (thats the next generation AMD CPU) brings to the table. It might be worthwhile to stick it out with the FX for now, but really, I think you might be happy enough just overclocking the FX-4100 and getting a better video card for now. Its only a few games the FX-4100 really gets its butt whooped, as long as you stay away from those, I think you can still have a couple years of fairly satisfactory computer usage even with the blighted bulldozer.

BTW, get a CPU temp checking program, you should be monitoring your temps for a week or so after a build to make sure everything is Kosher. HWmonitor is a free program, download it.

robinsblade

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
ok well i DLed GPU-Z and got this under the sensor tab

6kp.png

i have it showing max that came up.
these max setting are when i have AV running a scan, music in google chrome, and Orcs Must Die! 2 at the same time.

these "sensors" show that the graphics has not gone near its load. (with vsync high graphics and 1440x900 res(i think thats it))

and cpu usage clocked around 80% or so. but i did not lag. this is making me think 2 possibilities

1.) definent heat issue
2.) possible virus ?(randomly i get a page on chrome saying something about microsoft security essentials.....what is that? i googled it and it said something like a AV but my AV is eset)

Specs for computer

CPU : AMD FX 4100 quad core @3.60 ghz
RAM : 8 gb DDR3 1333
GPU: Radeon 6770 1GB GDDR5 -
7ux.png

Full Specs on GPU-Z

PSupply - http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=2057
(i forget the power but i think its 700)

MOBO : http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907&dl=1#ov

i think thats all you would need.

btw if i did OC my cpu would it cause more heating problems?(not bc of heatsink BC its not in the best airy spot atm ^^ just moved recently)

*edit* i must of had Core Temp installed and it says my max CPU temp was 44 C (im guessing that is since i turned it on? if so its been 2.5 hours) also i run dual monitors constantly if that makes a lagg issue at all.

robinsblade

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
well since i left pc off over 12 hours it cooled to about 30C and when i played OMD 2 it didnt lagg till graphics temp got to around 55-60 C . BTW what is the average temp for CPU and GPU? and what is the limit?(with my CPU/GPU if each one varies)

I have to get ready for work, but I will get back to you if someone hasn't already. But off the top of my head, 55c-60c under load is fine for an FX-4100, thats the core temp. FX-4100s are known to be safe overclocking on the stock fan to 4.0-4.5GHZ without issue, so if theres an issue there, you might consider trying to reattach the Heatsink, cleaning off the thermal compound and applying a new layer.

Video cards tend to get hotter than CPUs. Although a 6770 being what it is, shouldn't be getting super hot. Although, as long as the GPU temp is under 100c, there shouldn't be an issue.

robinsblade

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
well both the processor and heatsink is new so the thermal paste was the pre applied paste so i dont think its possible for that to be an issue could it? and if i understand corrent you said 55-60 C is under a dangerous point in heat then why does my computer start getting lag from it? BTW i also noticed occasional lag like i will just be looking at a web page then the mouse will start jittering(this mouse has a brand new battery)

could me have multiple partitions on my HDD cause lagg? and/or bc my RPMs are low on the HDD?(idk the RPMs but i know its low and i was told that when i bought it but i bought it when HDDs where high priced
so i bought the biggest HDD for the cheapest and that is 1.5 TB )