Sign in with
Your question

Removed unused HDD from system, now won't boot.

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2012 3:26:41 AM

This is a side issue for another thread in this forum, but I'm hoping a new thread might generate a quicker answer...

I upgraded my machine to Win7 a couple months ago by adding a new HDD and installing Win7 on it. I kept XP on the other HDD and whenever I booted, I got to choose which OS to boot into.

Recently some major crashing has cropped up and it was advised that I remove the XP HDD to see if that fixed anything. I used one of the Admin tools to identify which partitions were on which drive, and then I removed the XP HDD.

Now when I boot, if it boots far enough, I get to the "Choose Operating System" prompt, but I get no options and nothing happens from then on.

Is there something I need to do to straighten out my machine so it only looks for the Win7 drive or boots from it? I'm really at a loss here.

Thanks!
April 30, 2012 3:47:32 AM

When you installed W7 it used your other hdd for its bootup. i've done the same thing as you. I had to remove the other drives so that boot partion W7 sets up was created on the same drive as the os. Haven't had this issue on newer builds.
m
l
April 30, 2012 3:55:40 AM

So how do I fix this? How do I get it to boot without the XP HDD?
m
l
Related resources
!