Removed unused HDD from system, now won't boot.

This is a side issue for another thread in this forum, but I'm hoping a new thread might generate a quicker answer...

I upgraded my machine to Win7 a couple months ago by adding a new HDD and installing Win7 on it. I kept XP on the other HDD and whenever I booted, I got to choose which OS to boot into.

Recently some major crashing has cropped up and it was advised that I remove the XP HDD to see if that fixed anything. I used one of the Admin tools to identify which partitions were on which drive, and then I removed the XP HDD.

Now when I boot, if it boots far enough, I get to the "Choose Operating System" prompt, but I get no options and nothing happens from then on.

Is there something I need to do to straighten out my machine so it only looks for the Win7 drive or boots from it? I'm really at a loss here.

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about removed unused system boot
  1. When you installed W7 it used your other hdd for its bootup. i've done the same thing as you. I had to remove the other drives so that boot partion W7 sets up was created on the same drive as the os. Haven't had this issue on newer builds.
  2. So how do I fix this? How do I get it to boot without the XP HDD?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Boot Hard Drives Windows XP Systems