Sign in with
Your question

New build won't show anything on screen

Last response: in Components
August 13, 2012 12:37:37 PM

Hey guys, having a big problem here..I just finished building a new pc with(everything is brand new here):

1- i7-3820 CPU

2-Asus p9x79 mobo

3-corsair hx750 psu

4-asus hd 6450 video card

5-32gb (8X4gb) g.skill are ram

6-noctua nh-d14 se2011 CPU cooler

7-crucial 256 m4 SSD

and when i initially connect the power supply and turn it on, the greed LED on the motherboard lights up, and when i turn on the PC everything seems to work so fine, 4 LED fans, the noctua cooler, the case, everything turns on fine,except the monitor..Nothing shows up on the monitor..

I first had my monitor checked with another PC and it worked fine, so its not the monitors issue for sure..

second, i change the pcie slot for the graphics card and switched the PC on again but it didn't work still..

i connected the keyboard to different USB ports and rebooted the machine many times, but still nothings shows on the monitor....btw i had my PSU checked with the PC shop technical stuff and they connected it to some kind of a meter that showed that its working fine and giving the correct voltages..

so what do you think this issue is from guys? i really appreciate getting some help here.. Thanks.

More about : build show screen

August 13, 2012 1:36:13 PM

The next step would be to try the graphics card in another PC. This will show you if it is just a dead graphics card, or perhaps something with the mother board then.

And just to be sure, if the monitor has different inputs, which is probably does, does it auto detect them, or do you need to manually change the inputs? Perhaps it is on and just on the wrong input?

Good luck
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2012 3:35:18 PM

psuryan said:
The next step would be to try the graphics card in another PC. This will show you if it is just a dead graphics card, or perhaps something with the mother board then.

And just to be sure, if the monitor has different inputs, which is probably does, does it auto detect them, or do you need to manually change the inputs? Perhaps it is on and just on the wrong input?

Good luck

Hi, yes i've done that, tried the GPU on a different PC and it worked just fine, so the GPU is out of the game..

the GPU has two outputs, blue and a white ones (the blue is smaller), was trying the blue all the time, now i'll give the white output a try.. needs an adapter though
m
l
August 13, 2012 3:57:49 PM

UPDATE... i have connected a system speaker to the Q connector so that may be it'd give an indicator about the problem but with no luck.. didn't beep or make any sound when i turned on the PC.

Tried resetting the CMOS properly as the manual said, but still with no luck.. still nothing comes on the screen.

Tried booting with only 1 RAM stick (with different ram sticks) in the proper stick the manual said, and still with no luck...

What am i supposed to do now guys, i'm running out of ideas......
m
l
August 14, 2012 2:05:32 AM

Update..

so i took the mobo outside and tested it with no luck, same thing, everything's working except that nothings shows on screen.

i unplugged everything and left only the cpu and the noctua and gave it a test, i got 3 beeps (1 long+2 short) indicating that i don't have the ram or the video card installed, which was a good sign that the cpu is installed properly and had no issues.
Then i fitted the ram and video card only with no optical drives, and still with no luck.. same results...NOTHING COMES ON MY BLOODY SCREEN

please help guys..
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:26:59 AM

UPDATE!!!!!

so i went with updating the BIOS and guess what !!! IT WORKED!!! finally something came on the screen after a long 2 nights of trouble shooting and replacing parts YAY

but.. what came on the screen wasn't too good actually :D  i had a "CPU FAN ERROR" screen with long beeps.. even though my noctua fans were 100% on and spinning and correctly connected to the motherboard..i pressed F1 and went to the BIOS, and my CPU temperatures were between 23-25 degrees, i noticed the fan speed is below normal as it was written in a red colour in the BIOS.

Does anybody know what should i do about this please?

but the good news is..i finally saw something on the monitor, so there IS hope!! :) 
m
l
August 17, 2013 8:53:54 AM

fito88 said:
UPDATE!!!!!

so i went with updating the BIOS and guess what !!! IT WORKED!!! finally something came on the screen after a long 2 nights of trouble shooting and replacing parts YAY

but.. what came on the screen wasn't too good actually :D  i had a "CPU FAN ERROR" screen with long beeps.. even though my noctua fans were 100% on and spinning and correctly connected to the motherboard..i pressed F1 and went to the BIOS, and my CPU temperatures were between 23-25 degrees, i noticed the fan speed is below normal as it was written in a red colour in the BIOS.

Does anybody know what should i do about this please?

but the good news is..i finally saw something on the monitor, so there IS hope!! :) 

How do you update the bios? I am having the same EXACT problem you are having.

m
l
!