Power pled wires to front panel too short for new board

dannybob20

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Hello,

I'm switching out my mother board an cpu ... everything matches up perfectly connection wise, but the cables are too short to reach the new motherboard from the front panel (power/pled & front panel usb cables) ... the question is, can you buy a pre-made extension cable with a male and female grid on each end?

dannybob20

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
it's an old prebuild from Dell ... XPS 630i ... switched to an asrock h61m/vs ... the old boar was a very large 775 socket intel board and this one is much smaller. thus, the positions of the board, with respect to the height they reach, are much different ... causing the distance the wires stretch to be too far to actually reach the new board.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
hey dont do that it will void the warranty same thing that i done with my power supply because my corsair 400r need extended cable so i need to plug 12v for cpu so i extend it and cover it with electronic tape it working fine but i running out of warranty

The OP's Dell XPS 630i definitely isn't under warranty if he's replacing the motherboard with an ASRock H61M/VS and a new CPU.

dannybob20

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I ended up removing one of the fans (wasn't necessary to keep) and the wires were able to reach ... GhislainG - I was trying to avoid taking the time to solder because I didn't have a lot of time to spend with it, but that is what I was going to do if this trick didn't work.

InvalidError

Titan

OP had a prebuilt Dell PC in which he is swapping out the motherboard. That in itself very much voids whatever warranty (if any) might be left on the Dell system. Splicing wires to extend them is not going to make much of a difference.

As someone mentioned, since the PC originally had an LGA775 board and Dell has not sold LGA775 XPS-series PCs in years, the warranty on the PC and most of its components likely expired a long time ago.