Hey guys,

I built my PC not too Long ago, but I want to upgrade. My rig right now is:

Cpu: 2500k @4.0 ghz stock cooler
Mobo: MSI p67a c43 p67
VGA: sapphire 2gb radeon HD 6950 unlocked shaders @ 910 1375
Ram: Gskill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU: antec earthwatts 650
Case: rose will challenger
Storage: 2x 1tb 7200 rpm (haven't set up raid 0 yet because I don't have anywhere to save a disk clone. ) and a crappy old maxtor 180gb
Keyboard: shitty Microsoft ergonomical wireless. Works better than you would think.
Mouse: Logitech something nice gaming

What is the weak link? Ram? Case? Keyboard? Mobo? Cpu cooler? Thanks!

PS I want to custom water cool, but I can't find a water block for the 6950.

The RAM is a weak link. 8GB is more appropriate for a modern gaming system. Its pretty easy to max out 4GB RAM on Windows7, but 8GB you have to work at it.

Why do you need to watercool your video card? Watercool the CPU and leave the video card alone, IMHO.

No gaming rig needs more than 4 gig of RAM .

A game is a 32 bit program and cant EVER use more than 3.2 gig . That leaves more than enough for windows .
http://www.turnedon.com.au/articles/reviews/does-memory-capacity-affect-gaming-performance-r40

Of course you may have a bunch of other programs running and 150 browser windows open while you play your game .....In which case I'd say your game is rubbish and not worth playing

The rosewill challenger case is horrible . Buy a good one

I'm using 3.06GB of RAM right now..

And thats all thats running
usageh.png

Just opened Metro 2033 in addition to those 2 browser windows, skype and YIM and my ram Usage jumped up to 4.10GB... Once that happens if you only have 4GB of RAM is it starts using the hard drive to handle the load, thus slowing down performance.

4gbistoast.png

You're entitled to your opinion, I respect that, however your own article even says the following:

oads of memory in your system won't hurt, but you must look at whether or not you’re going to notice the difference, and whether that difference is worth the extra money. Remember, that extra cash could be put toward a better graphics card or more storage space. Ultimately, it comes down to how you use your computer, if you have a lot of programs running in the background when you're gaming, then more memory will definitely be a bonus and give a major boost to system performance.

So.... I should close everything when I'm playing a game? What if I want to minimize the game and look up how to beat a level on the game? What if I want to keep my messenger open in case a friend wants to talk to me? Also, your article is a year old.

Furthermore:
Conclusion: The amount of RAM installed in your computer did have an impact on performance in some games, but not on others. This shows that more RAM may not be entirely necessary, and it is only beneficial if the games you’re playing are being choked by a lack of memory.

Well, I'm going to say that, while you may be correct (at this present time I don't necessarily believe you that this is accurate), I don't have anything to present to the contrary. My task manager says, thats what its using, not what its caching. It would also seem to me that if Windows is reserving that memory, then it is unavailable for new programs to be opened, as it is reserved (going by what you're saying).

And logically, (again based on my understanding of how computers work), if the memory has to "forget" something its caching, in order to bring up something new, this would slow things down, if the process was recalled at a later time.

But I would say, considering that for 30 bucks, that RAM can be doubled in the OPs computer, to what most review sites I've seen recommend for a modern gaming system (8GB), thats what I'm going to go with. RAM is so cheap nowadays, theres no reason not to.

inuse.png

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

$30 that could go towards a newer power supply that can handle two 6950s ;(

like the Rosewill HIVE 750W

and this 2nd gpu

SAPPHIRE 11188-22-20G Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (OC Edition)
Free Dirt3 game coupon with purchase!

$199.99

With Promo Code: EMCYTZT1523

Free Shipping!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987&Tpk=14-102-987&nm_mc=EMC-GD043012&cm_mmc=EMC-GD043012-_-index-_-Item-_-14-102-987

I am correct in what I am saying .

And logically its far faster to load data to memory because you will probably need it there than it is to keep memory empty so you can load data to it . That's why you cache .
Yes on occasion it it takes more time to load a different program that windows is not expecting to load , but that is the exception rather than the rule

And then there's the benchmarks in that link I posted . Going from 4 - 8 gig never gives any improvement that you'd notice . Some times it made things worse

Yes there are reasons to install 8 gig of RAM in a computer . No , gaming is not one of them .

And that $30 you save could be an aftermarket cpu cooler , a better graphics card , more hard drive space etc etc .

I would yes. Whether or not what Outlander is saying is true. (I'll admit, while it doesn't sound "right" to me, doesn't make him wrong) an easy way to tell if you need more RAM is when you're doing things you notice that your Hard drive activity LED light is constantly working. It shouldn't be going constantly, if it is, more RAM should resolve it.