Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumpeh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Ok, I've seen a few threads like this with my problem, and I've tried all the solutions I've seen for the problem, none I have tried worked for me, here's my problem:

I recently installed a Geforce GTX 260 in my computer. I loaded the proper drivers and everything seemed to work fine. Whenever I try to play any slightly graphic intensive games like Left 4 Dead 2 for example, a few minutes into the game my monitor screen goes black and the audio loops then the system shuts down. I've tried everything, writing over drivers, completely uninstalling drivers, changing out my power supply. My computer won't shut down any other time though, like if I'm playing a non-graphic intensive game like Terraria, it plays on just fine, or if I'm just browsing the internet. Here are my current specs:

ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard
Windows 7 Home Prem.(x64)
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 GHz processor
8 gigabytes of ram
D-Link DFE-530TX Network card
Cooler master 550 watt power supply
And the Geforce GTX 260

The current drivers I have installed for my video card are the NVIDIA grapics driver 295.73 for the GTX 260.

Solution
i never had my fans at 100%........ if it's getting that hot the fan isn't spinning or you need to pull the heatsink and reapply thermal past and clean the dust from the cooling fins or all three. how's the airflow through the case ?
disable the onboard video in BIOS.

look in device manager for the ati hdmi sound driver and disable that.

uninstall the nvidia drivers that you used for the card. reboot machine. install the graphics driver again but do a custom install and only put the physx and graphics drivers in.

natemare

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I had a similar problem when I had my GTX260 in my old PC. I didn't realise for a long time that the power supply I had did not have sufficient amp requirements to power the graphics card. It was okay for the first couple of months, but once the efficiency degraded it would not power everything properly. (Crashing, artifacts) I ended up getting a decent power supply instead.

FYI: The GTX260 requires a power supply capable of 36amp on the 12v line for the whole system (I realise that they sometimes overstate this figure, but it is still a good guide to go by)

Bumpeh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Ok swifty, I've just finished setting up your solution. I've also installed the EVGA precision program and set my fan speed to 100% in case it is an overheating issue, I'll test it out and get back to you guys, thanks!

Bumpeh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I do not believe that solved my issue. I did a test run playing some Left 4 dead 2. I was able to completely one chapter, I then exited the game and checked the status using EVGA precision, the GPU was up to 110 degrees Celsius while I was playing, WAY to hot I think. So how else should I cool down the GPU besides setting the fan to whirl at 100%?

Bumpeh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
The fan is definitely spinning, I do believe it's an issue with the thermal paste and perhaps it's really dusty in there. I'll take it out this afternoon, clean it, and then run some more tests.

Bumpeh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Yup, me and my dad took it apart and cleaned it, it was pretty dusty and the thermal paste was dry and cracked, so we cleaned that off then reapplied new thermal paste, now it runs super cool. Thanks for your help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.