Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intel i5 vs amd a6

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 13, 2012 4:28:12 PM

Hello,

For multitasking, which one is faster, and for graphics which one is better?

Thanks!

More about : intel amd

a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 4:30:16 PM

The i5 is the stronger of the 2 in terms of multitasking and CPU tasks(in general).

The A6 will have a stronger integrated video solution (in general).

However, the details matter. What specific i5 and A6 are you asking to compare?
m
0
l
a c 116 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 4:41:44 PM

COLGeek said:
What specific i5 and A6 are you asking to compare?

The slowest i5 still runs circles around most of AMD's fastest CPUs in multitasking benchmarks while AMD's slowest A-series IGP is faster than Intel's HD4000 so it makes little difference which chip the OP is asking about, the outcome remains the same.

In terms of balance between CPU-power, GPU-power and price though, AMD is much closer to the sweet-spot than Intel is.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 13, 2012 4:41:55 PM

i5 3570k and the i5 2500k are the two strongest chips on the market for gaming.
i7 3770k and the i7 2600k are the two strongest chips on the market for multi tasking.
AMD are the best chips if you cannot afford an i3.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 4:43:58 PM

Also, (adding to COLGeek's post) will you be adding a graphics card? Because you'd probably do better with an i5 and an APU if that's the case. APU's are pointless (in terms of add in graphics) unless you get a crossfire compatible Radeon card that works with the GPU built into the chip.
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 4:46:50 PM

Keep in mind that the A6's video (HD6550d) will be stronger than the Intel HD2000 found on some i5s. Thus the question of which Apple (i5) are we comparing to which orange (A6)?
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 4:48:53 PM

btw thanks guys for your input
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 4:50:01 PM

amd a6 3620 vs any i5

not specifically adding a graphics card
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 4:52:44 PM

cpudemo said:
amd a6 3620 vs any i5

not specifically adding a graphics card



you cant really say "any" as most of them have different igpu's (HD 2k, HD 2.5k, HD3k, HD4k) which is already 4 different graphics levels altogether.
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 4:55:53 PM

dudewitbow said:
you cant really say "any" as most of them have different igpu's (HD 2k, HD 2.5k, HD3k, HD4k) which is already 4 different graphics levels altogether.

+1. Details matter.

m
0
l
August 13, 2012 4:56:13 PM

but to put it another way i basically need a computer for multitasking for the best price and decent video quality for youtube and movies and such...or is the market already flooded with comps that multitask well?
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 4:56:16 PM

ok an amd a6 3620 vs an intel i5 2430M?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2012 4:56:33 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
i5 3570k and the i5 2500k are the two strongest chips on the market for gaming.
i7 3770k and the i7 2600k are the two strongest chips on the market for multi tasking.
AMD are the best chips if you cannot afford an i3.


That statement is pure fail

i5 2500k/3570k is the best value chip for performance gaming..... there are i7's that outperform it so its not the strongest

Your multitasking statement forgets socket 2011 cpu's, xeons, opterons.........................

and AMD is for people that cant afford an i3 is just full on fingerlicking dumb and sounds like a fanboi/child statement who cant see past gaming benches

m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 5:04:10 PM

The i5-2430M uses HD3000 video and the A6-3620 uses the HD6530D. They are similar in their performance for most general use.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 5:04:12 PM

If you will do any kind of gaming at all, i would say a6. if your gaming is extremely light or there is none, and its only used for movies and general computer, thake the i5-2430m
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 5:06:41 PM

dudewithbow is correct. The A6 is definitely the better gaming video solution here.

For day to day stuff, like web browsing and working with office apps, there is little or no difference.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2012 5:07:57 PM

cpudemo said:
ok an amd a6 3620 vs an intel i5 2430M?


Possibly I'm being really dumb here but why are we comparing a laptop (i5) CPU with a desktop (A6) APU?
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 5:12:47 PM

amazing thanks guys
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 5:21:28 PM

wr6133 said:
That statement is pure fail

i5 2500k/3570k is the best value chip for performance gaming..... there are i7's that outperform it so its not the strongest

Your multitasking statement forgets socket 2011 cpu's, xeons, opterons.........................

and AMD is for people that cant afford an i3 is just full on fingerlicking dumb and sounds like a fanboi/child statement who cant see past gaming benches


Ok yes its a fail, i forgot about the socket 2011 cpu's etc etc etc. They are the best for multitasking, if you wanna spend gobs of money on multitasking you will never be able to utilize in the next 10 years. Yes I cannot see past benchmarks...because they are benchmarks. And I think the term 'fingerlicking dumb' sounds like it should stay in your house...where the term probably originated...

If you did do your homework you know that games do not take advantage of hyper-threading, so its pointless in a gaming rig. Due to various other issues with hyper-threading that I will not get into, because you can google on your own...I hope..., The i5 is better mostly due to the ability to overclock them.

@OP - your best bet is an i7 + GPU, or an i5 + GPU. Integrated graphics are great for like....troubleshooting....and troubleshooting...oh and laptops.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 5:22:07 PM

The i5 is the better multi-tasker of the 2:

http://ark.intel.com/products/53450/Intel-Core-i5-2430M...

The A6 has the better video solution, overall:

http://products.amd.com/%28S%282zjjbn45rflurej2sajvybaq...

Both effectively have 4 cores (Intel has 2 cores with HT for the ability to support 4 threads). The A6 has 4 cores.

Share
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 5:24:26 PM

wr6133 said:
Possibly I'm being really dumb here but why are we comparing a laptop (i5) CPU with a desktop (A6) APU?

True, but those were the options the OP asked about. Sounds like a notebook vs. desktop solution is being considered based on cost.
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 5:25:28 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Only i5 laptop chips are 2 cores hyper-threaded. Desktop i5 chips are 4 cores no HT.

Yep. That is correct. Thus why the sources for tech specs were cited. Good point.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 5:26:27 PM

there are desktop i5's but in my case I already have a laptop hp dv6000, but need a much bigger screen and something faster for work so I ended up purchasing an acer desktop with an amd a6 3620 but now I found out about intel's widi and second guessing my purchase, i mean who wouldn't want more flexibility or mobility with a laptop, even though I'm not sure I really need it.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 5:27:17 PM

COLGeek said:
True, but those were the options the OP asked about. Sounds like a notebook vs. desktop solution is being considered based on cost.


Kinda pointless to compare a laptop vs desktop...like apples and oranges. If this is for gaming, a laptop shouldn't even be a consideration.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 5:27:50 PM

*I purchased the acer desktop tower only to hook up with my hdtv
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 5:29:48 PM

cpudemo said:
there are desktop i5's but in my case I already have a laptop hp dv6000, but need a much bigger screen and something faster for work so I ended up purchasing an acer desktop with an amd a6 3620 but now I found out about intel's widi and second guessing my purchase, i mean who wouldn't want more flexibility or mobility with a laptop, even though I'm not sure I really need it.

Understood. So, what kind of multi-tasking are you doing?
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 5:29:49 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Kinda pointless to compare a laptop vs desktop...like apples and oranges. If this is for gaming, a laptop shouldn't even be a consideration.

I am not sure about that (not gaming with laptops). Gaming with HD3000 should definitely be avoided, that I do agree on.

My Alienware M15X is definitely a great mobile gaming rig, but it was built to be so. General purpose notebooks/laptops will not perform as well.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 5:36:12 PM

COLGeek said:
I am not sure about that (not gaming with laptops). Gaming with HD3000 should definitely be avoided, that I do agree on.

My Alienware M15X is definitely a great mobile gaming rig, but it was built to be so. General purpose notebooks/laptops will not perform as well.


That is correct, because your Alienware does not use integrated graphics. 9 times out of 10 people cannot afford an Alienware laptop (I know I can't) So I normally avoid the suggestion. And I could be mistaken, but All Alienware computers should come with an i7 + GPU, which is what my first suggestion is.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 5:38:12 PM

Best answer selected by cpudemo.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 13, 2012 5:39:25 PM

Quote:
Ok yes its a fail, i forgot about the socket 2011 cpu's etc etc etc. They are the best for multitasking, if you wanna spend gobs of money on multitasking you will never be able to utilize in the next 10 years.

No you made a statement as if fact so there is not etc etc etc your facts were wrong gobs of money does not factor in your original statement. The fact you think nobody can utilise 2011 for the next 10 years proves my point you are clueless beyond a few gaming benchmarks.


Quote:
And I think the term 'fingerlicking dumb' sounds like it should stay in your house...where the term probably originated...

And your entire AMD statement is just as I stated. Its a rather well known phrase too playing on the catchphrase of a popular chicken eatery.

According to your AMD statement an i3 2100 is better at EVERYTHING han a Phenom II X6 1100T........ :non: 

Quote:
If you did do your homework you know that games do not take advantage of hyper-threading, so its pointless in a gaming rig. Due to various other issues with hyper-threading that I will not get into, because you can google on your own...I hope..., The i5 is better mostly due to the ability to overclock them.

And BTW I suggest you do your homework i7's do show a slight FPS advanatage in some games therefore a broad statement like you made that the i5 is the STRONGEST gaming CPU is wrong
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 5:40:54 PM

thanks darkoutlaw for clearing that up.

i am starting a new thread cores vs threads lol
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 5:41:41 PM

COLGeek said:
Understood. So, what kind of multi-tasking are you doing?



internet browsing,crap load of pdfs, video, word processing
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 5:41:53 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
That is correct, because your Alienware does not use integrated graphics. 9 times out of 10 people cannot afford an Alienware laptop (I know I can't) So I normally avoid the suggestion. And I could be mistaken, but All Alienware computers should come with an i7 + GPU, which is what my first suggestion is.

Agreed (on not gaming with integrated video on a notebook). Good suggestion on the i7 + dedicated GPU, when affordable.
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 5:48:21 PM

The A6, especially with 8GB or 16GB of memory (with a 64-bit version of Windows) can handle all of that nicely. Shouldn't be an issue.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 8:00:28 PM

i have 6GB of memory
m
0
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 13, 2012 10:15:03 PM

cpudemo said:
i have 6GB of memory

Still shouldn't be an issue.
m
0
l
!