Best cpu to handle dual 5970/ triple hd 7970/ Gtx 570/580?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That really depends on your budget.

The Intel socket 2011 i7s would do very well with these GPU configs, especially with the quad channel memory capabilities, for example.

So, how much are you planning to spend?

MTindle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
In my opinion quad or triple sli/crossfire GPU setups are more trouble than they're worth, and good luck getting a good number of games to use your 3 GPUs.

But, if you really want to know the answer, any decent i7 Intel Ivy Bridge / Sandy Bridge processors will do what you want with a good overclock over 4Ghz.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Total budget? To get the CPU of your desires, you will need to get a new motherboard and memory. Unless you plan to recycle some of your existing system components, you'll need to buy those too.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
You will also need a good noiseproof headset if you want to run triple CF...looking at the bright side you will probably save on heating during the winter. :)

MTindle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Just wondering, how much are you paying for the HD 5970s?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/587?vs=598

GTX 670 is far faster in newer games, consumes way less wattage and produces less noise.

Plus, an HD 5970 is a dual-gpu card, with 1GB VRAM per GPU. You're going to see extreme bottlenecking with that much memory if you want to future proof. Even BF3 and Crysis 2 are memory consuming monsters. So, you're gonna have 4 GPUs slaving away (not good for compatibility) with only 1GB VRAM per core (if I'm not mistaken). Even If you're not a fan of Nvidia, two 7950s, I'd be much more comfortable with.

Just some advice. Plus you're bound to get a massive amount of heat with them older cards.

MTindle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
That's certainly better, having double the VRAM. Still the issue lies with you having 4 GPUs. The fact is, most games won't cooperate nicely with them.

And there's the problem of heat. And noise.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Nvidia fanboi, the fact is you're buying old tech, and the fact that you're going to be using 4 GPU cores is what worries me most.

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I don't see why not get an i5 2500k or 3570k and over clock it. Since even if it does cause a bottleneck it. It doesnt matter what fps you get in a game as long as its over 60 which i5 more then capable. But if you can go for an i7 specially the 6 cores ones are pretty sweet but they are expensive!

MTindle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Yeah, but running out of VRAM is a serious issue. FPS tanks.

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012
BTW i'm not sure on this but i heard hd 5xxx series had problems with crossfire it may have been fixed but i read that the microstutter was terrible on most games.

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012

yeah thats deffinitely true i wouldn't go lower then 2gb if i'm spending that kind of money on a video card

MTindle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
If it's a 2GB card, with two GPUs, then it means that each graphics core has 1GB each.

For example, the GTX 690 is a 4GB card. It has 2 GPUs and the VRAM is split between the two, so 2GB per GPU.

Unless I'm severely mistaken, then please explain to me why I'm wrong. o_O

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Yup whatever memory your main card has is all it has. you can't have two 2gb cards and have 4gb vram. you still have 2gb just how it works.

This is how crossfire/sli works. I'm going to Label them GPU-A and GPU-B just to clarify. When you play a game GPU-A will work on one frame and GPU-B will work on the next so by the time GPU-A has finished with its frame GPU-B has already finish with its frame, But the load on the GPU's vram will be just as demanding as if there was just a single gpu. Since the GPU's work alone on THe game so the load on the vram will be the same. If both gpu's work on the same frame then yes that would make sense but it don't thats not how it works.

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012

Your severely mistaken i already explained it but you can't use that as an example. Its 2 gpu cores not 2 seperate gpu's. Both gpu's cores share the same memery which is 4gb.

^^

Except on cards ilke the 5970 and GTX 690 for example, they only have 2gb of VRAM between 2 GPU's but are advertised as 4gb.

2 GTX 670's with 4gb of vram would outperform the 690 at higher resolutions.