LOST XP STYLE!

November 29, 2004 6:17:02 PM

Hi!
I turned on my PC the other, only to find that the cutesy blue XPstyle
windows and taskbar/menus were gone, replaced by the Classic ones....When I
try to change it back in Desktop Properties, the XP Theme option is
mysteriously gone....

Anyone have any clue why this happened? And any help as to how to get my
beloved blue taskbar back??

Thanks!

More about : lost style

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:13:30 PM

Go here

Read the instructions at the top

187. Restore Themes Functionality

187. Right hand side
Restore Luna Theme - Restore Classic Theme
Click on: Restore Luna Theme

214. Windows/Buttons Grayed Out -Appearance

214. Right hand side
Windows XP Style Changes to Windows Classic

271. Stuck in Classic View? Undo Now

Troubleshooting Themes in Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#themes

Also if XP Pro check settings in Group Policy.

Open Group Policy...
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
Navigate to >>>

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Desktop Themes\
Load a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic
Set to Not configured.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:F55335F6-714C-441F-AB6C-93CEE8077E65@microsoft.com,
youngZoe <youngZoe@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi!
> I turned on my PC the other, only to find that the cutesy blue XPstyle
> windows and taskbar/menus were gone, replaced by the Classic
> ones....When I try to change it back in Desktop Properties, the XP
> Theme option is mysteriously gone....
>
> Anyone have any clue why this happened? And any help as to how to get
> my beloved blue taskbar back??
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 2:42:23 AM

youngZoe wrote:
> Hi!
> I turned on my PC the other, only to find that the cutesy blue XPstyle
> windows and taskbar/menus were gone, replaced by the Classic
> ones....When I try to change it back in Desktop Properties, the XP
> Theme option is mysteriously gone....
>
> Anyone have any clue why this happened? And any help as to how to get
> my beloved blue taskbar back??
>
> Thanks!

This is an FAQ. May I suggest you use Google for the purpose for which it
was intended (http://groups.google.com)?
on salads.
Related resources
December 7, 2004 7:39:02 PM

may i suggest that you quit being so rude?
i was under the impression this was a support base, not an ivory tower for a
computer geek.
arse.

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> youngZoe wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I turned on my PC the other, only to find that the cutesy blue XPstyle
> > windows and taskbar/menus were gone, replaced by the Classic
> > ones....When I try to change it back in Desktop Properties, the XP
> > Theme option is mysteriously gone....
> >
> > Anyone have any clue why this happened? And any help as to how to get
> > my beloved blue taskbar back??
> >
> > Thanks!
>

> This is an FAQ. May I suggest you use Google for the purpose for which it
> was intended (http://groups.google.com)?
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

December 8, 2004 3:27:02 AM

This depends on several issues.

In the meantime are you using any third party
desktop enhancers or options via Accessibility?

Won't Load or only Windows Classic is listed

Go to Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Themes. Set to Automatic.

Also check your settings here:

Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Terminal Services/Log On. At the bottom
ensure that Hardware Profile Original Configuration is Enabled.

If the above doesn't apply/nor help:

Only windows Classic is listed under Appearance:

1. Right click on the desktop and choose Properties.
2. On the Theme tab, choose the Windows XP.
3. If this option is missing, you may choose Browse... to
C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna.theme
4. The Luna.theme is the theme of the Windows XP.

If Luna.theme is missing: Go to Start/Run/Msconfig/Expand Files:
Luna.MS_ and Luna.TH_

Restore Luna Theme (Line 187)

Restore Themes Functionality (Line 187)

Troubleshooting Themes
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#themes

Stuck in Classic View (Line 271)

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

>> > Hi!
>> > I turned on my PC the other, only to find that the cutesy blue XPstyle
>> > windows and taskbar/menus were gone, replaced by the Classic
>> > ones....When I try to change it back in Desktop Properties, the XP
>> > Theme option is mysteriously gone....
>> >
>> > Anyone have any clue why this happened? And any help as to how to get
>> > my beloved blue taskbar back??
>> >
>> > Thanks!
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:44:38 AM

Thanks very much!

I tried everything you suggested, but the Classic View remains. Therre
is still no XP option in Appearances/Windows and Buttons, only Classic
view.
I am not running any desktop-enhancement programs, nor any options
through accessibility. In the past I have run desktop enhancement
programs to create my own styles, but have since uninstalled these -
however the option to choose them in the Themes drop down menu remains
[although all you get in the preview window is a blank screen]
Do you think this has anything to do with it?
I tried the troubleshooting tips and read through the FAQs
Thanks for all your help
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 7:54:52 AM

hi again!
i've fixed it - not quite sure how, but the XP style option returned to
the Appearances menu after I replaced the Luna theme in C drive with
the freshly downloaded one - didn't work first time, but finally came
back!
Thanks for all your help. x
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 3:21:49 PM

I also have found a few rude replies on this newsgroup.

Not all of us are "geeks" or super-users. I have had many years experience
in IT, but I regard myself as a learner, especially in Windows XP or other
PC related areas. (I was a mainframe/Unix programmer in my working career.)

I find the replies from the MVPs very helpful. They may go through many
steps which others (including myself) may already know about, but at least
you are not left in doubt about what to do. And they don't regard you as
stupid.

Please, everyone, be polite.
Anonymous
October 27, 2009 12:51:29 PM

Hello just been so worried because i encountered this problem. I just wanna help the other users out there who would encounter the same. All I did was go to Administrative tools in the control panel and then clicked services. After, I went to themes and set the start up type as automatic and then below it I clicked the start button. Hope this could help all the other users out there...;)
!