EVGA GTX 460 A GOOD CHOICE?

seanspencer7

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
So ive decided that i wanted to try something new so im giving up the xbox 360 and have decided to build myself a gaming pc because it seems this would be a poitive change but it just so happens that i havent used an actual pc in a decade, and have been using a newer laptop instead so everything in my pc is outdated.

To start of my new machine ive been trying to decide which graphics card to get nd dont want to spend like over 600 on my machine total.

The gtx 460 seemed to come up in a lot of threads ive been reading and am seeking better advice, from more experienced people. I plan on playing games such as Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Crysis 2.

Currently my machine is terrible, just to give a sort of info. on it heres its current specs. (am not proud so please dont critisize) and what i plan on changing.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 3.4ghz-----------------------------------------------------
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 4500
RAM: 1gb DDR2
32-Bit Windows 7 Ultimate OS
MotherBoard: Standard T3500 Dell Motherboard
HarDrive: 300gb 7200rpm harddrive
150w Power supply

Well, you can salvage the HDD, so that's decent. Switch out a 560 Ti for the 6870 in zero_'s $600 build with the extra cash that doesn't have to go toward a new drive.

The 460's not a good choice anymore. It was the best thing around for quite some time, but the 6800s are so cheap that it can't compete. Regardless, you can afford better if you prioritize for the GPU, as you probably should.

erikalikesfire

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
The GTX 460 is good (I have one and love it) but the HD 6850 offers the same level of performance for much less money.

Your processor is a single core and it's like 8 years old. You may reuse the case, hard drive, and optical drive, but you really just need a whole new computer (cpu, motherboard, ram, video card, power supply). You should head on over to the new build forum and let them put something together for you. $600 is enough for a video card equivalent to what you wanted, and a whole new system to go with it.

polishboy1098

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Well in the Battlefield 3 test the 460 only did 1 FPS worse than the 6850 and they both are around $130-$140. But the 6870 is only $10-$20 more so you should get that because it dominates both the 460 and the 6850.

Quarkstar

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I'm assuming you're running in a dell case. You'd want to trash that and the ambient temp and lack of proper airflow will at least kill a psu. I can link components for you if you want. I'm not on my PC so can't efficiently do it on a smartphone.

Typically the best cheaper boards/popular is the P8Z68 series for a little over 100 bucks. Antec 300 or a Coolermaster midtower will run you about $50 plus ram if you're not going to overclock can get 8 gigs of crucial or patriot from $50 to $75. A gtx 560 would be better. The http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121446 is what I'm currently using and runs wiih a 1/4 load at 40 degrees Celsius, but I've way overclocked it. You want a PSU with at least 600 watts depending how many peripherals you're wanting to run. If you sli I'd go with an Antec or corsair 80 certified atleast 800 watts.

You'll stay under that budget with that. Also the gtx 600 is delayed but expect to come out soon. I'm guessing nvidia is waiting to unveil the new line at the GPU convention in San Diego since they had chipset manufacturing delays. My specs are in my signature. I'm using a closed water block, but if you're not doing extreme OC'ing, the Antec 300 mid tower plus a cooler master hyper 212 which I only used for a month kept my current system with 2 gtx 260s in SLI and my CPU under 40 degrees at a low end over clock. Willing to sell it. That and enough fans for cool air and 2 exhaust will keep your valuable computer cool. I killed a Antec modular Quattro 850 in an HP case. Not enough airflow. Don't do it, dells are worse. Don't buy an ati card either. They're cheap and faster than with more features than the nvidia 500s, but the 600s might cost more will out perform ATI's garbage drivers. Only buy a ATI/AMD card only to stay within budget. You get what you pay for dollar wise.

I'll be upgrading again this summer, or I should say building a second computer. Planning on 2 ssd drives, 3 hdds for raid 5, an ROG Asus mobo and more expensive/compatible ram with an enthusiast or professional 1000+ watt PSU. Why? Cause the only money I blow on is computers so why not.

Google a psu wattage calculator. Put in what you're wanting to run (keyboard and mouse is usually already included in the calculation) and it will give you an approximate minimum PSU wattage you need to power on, post, load OS, and run stable. Oh and buy win7 64 bit or win8 64 bit if it's out by then.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

I don't think TH would have recommended 14 Radeon cards out of 18 cards tested if they had atrocious drivers me smells a fan boy ^^^

jeffredo

Distinguished
Should you choose a GTX 460 (which I have and love) be sure to get the original 256 bit EVGA, not the 192 bit version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130752

Its actually still a good deal compared to its competitors. Sits between the HD 6850 and HD 6870 in performance and in my opinion has a better feature set in its drivers. If Skyrim is one of your preferred games the newest 295.79 drivers have much improved performance and Ambient Occlusion, which makes the game look very nice.

Quarkstar

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Always someone has to get off topic and does not know I'm guessing except what others tell him.

THe 600s aren't even out. There are no "test cards" for anyone to even rate the new cards. I love playing mw3 and I tell some teenager to google something its like telling him to read a book. I'd tell you a site to go to that has articles on pass flops from ATI. I used to buy only ATI. I'm not some 16 year old nerd. I've been gaming for over 22 years on PCs and Apples. Yep I am a fan of nvidia. Higher quality cards. Don't agree. Your loss. Keep on buying ATI. I'm not forcing you to buy Nvidia Cards.

But back to your comment. How can Toms Hardware review Nvidia cards that aren't even out yet. Yep ATI deliberately took advantage of Nvidia not having Pci-e 3.0 and new features of Dx11. Yep so people would jump out their Gords to buy the new cards. The new Nvidia cards will outbench the current ATI cards unless the make a major goof on em.

"me smells a fan boy" = I smell a know it all kid.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

I run an Nvidia card today and have run Radeon in the past they are not Ati anymore bud and from experience Nvidia and Radeon make good cards they come down to price/performance ratio and power consumption Radeon wins right now across the board. Show me a link I love to research but Just Cause 2 , supreme Commander 2, Starcraft 2 and Skyrim are no goes for validity LOL.

Quarkstar

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Sigh....you're wasting my time. FYI AMD bought ATI. AMD didn't put their name on their cards until the 6000 series.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/products/graphics/Pages/graphics.aspx?lid=Gaming_Graphics&lpos=HP_bottom_bucket

Second whether correct or not the ATI name is still used today in many products like motherboards and video cards using the AMD and nvidia chipsets. They often still reference ATI! Yep without overclocking my card your HD 6000 w/e will out bench mine. And when I buy a gtx 600 series it will out bench the AMD HD 6000 cards LOL. So whats your argument?

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Well thanx for trying to belittle me but I really do not invest that much of my being into any brand names and certainly not a Video for playing games I just switched exclusively to Ubuntu 11.10 the other day and it will probably stay that way until after Guild Wars 2 launches and they have the bugs mostly fixed and if the game is any good. Ps thank you for clearing up the naming for AMD/Radeon but it still did not show me any tangibly solid reasons why I should upgrade to a green card for guild wars 2 etc.

jeffredo

Distinguished

I think he was looking for a card for a new PC and just listed his current specs for reference (why, I'm not sure). The new PC's hardware wasn't given.

Quarkstar

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

EQ2 non pvp and pvp. WoW pvp servers before they made the game easy. Lineage2, warhammer, star wars: the old republic, Ultima Online, Star Wars: Galaxies (before the last revamp patch) etc…

Why am I bothering, you're acting like a Troll. I was trying to help the poster, not argue with a juvenile. Please grow up, and don't talk to me please.

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

You bashed me for considering Guild Wars 2 as a potentially good game and then you mention WoW and call me a troll LOL ok bud I have played all those games minus SWTOR because I do not Support EA games. PS When I first got into WoW in 2007/08 it was a dam good game and I don't care what people say but today it just is not the same.

Quarkstar

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

You are a troll. Jumping on my case when I'm helping the thread starter. Look at AMD processors they don't out benchmark Intel chips. They're like what was it called I forgot the name cheaper processors compared to Intel that gave you another option if you're on a budget. AMD isn't bad but they're not the best. It's like buying crucial or a cheaper brand of RAM instead of the more efficient High performance RAM like Corsair and a few other brands with lower timings.

I played WoW when galaxies went to garbage back when most of the players ate kids and have more time to play than me but it's too hard and time consuming so they have to make it "easier". I was holding down a full time job workin 8 to 12 hours at night while playing 2 mmorpgs and playing in CAL invite for 2 to 3 different first person shooters. I had less time than a teen and I built up quit a stash of money without buying it, and had awesome gear. Oh please don't lecture me. I only laugh at Guild Wars: no content update, no monthly fee. Game is dead in a year or less. You sound like one of those people that don't think you should pay for the game after you buy it. Again you get what you pay for.

Will a moderator please lock this thread LMAO!

Boopoo

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

LOL Most MMOs will go no monthly fee plus when WoW already costs hundreds to pla not even counting a monthly fee that garbage WoW has plenty of monetary resources as is LOL