GPU Upgrade or CPU Upgrade?

I'm not sure where to put this...

My current build is:
Phenom II X3 720
4Gigabytes G.skill Sniper DDR3 1600Mhz
NVidia GTS 450
500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache Seagate
680W Rosewell

I was wondering if I should upgrade my CPU, or my GPU next. My birthday is June 1st and I'm wondering whats best for a $250 budget.

Phenom II X6 1045T @ 2.7Ghz - $149 w\ 16 Gigabytes G.skill Ripjaw 1600Mhz
NVidia GTX480 - $209 w\ 4 Gigabyte G.skill Sniper 1600Mhz - $49

I do multitask.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade upgrade
  1. You need to upgrade both if you wanna play games @ high resolutions with pretty good eye candy.

Get that CPU , and save up a little bit and grab the GTX 480 if possible
  2. OC the CPU and spend it on the GPU.
  3. ^ agreed, have you tried unlocking the dormant core in that Heka? That is is if your motherboard supports it. You could unlock it and overclock it pretty easily considering it is a Black edition with an unlocked multiplier. Then put as much money in the gpu as you can.
  4. Also I would look at getting a better psu, Rosewill recently has gotten better oems with the HIVE/Capstone and green series. But the older ones are not high quality and using a gpu as power hungry as a 480 I would look for a more reputable brand from something like Corsair, Antec, XFX, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling....etc..
  5. I third the OC the CPU and spend it on the GPU. Honestly, I think the Phenom II x6 1045T would be worse than the 720 BE since it's not unlocked and only BF3 uses more than 4 threads.

Does your CPU unlock? How high does it OC? Pick up an $18 Hyper 212+ (make sure it fits in your case) before you get a new CPU. But, basically, that GTS 450 is pretty anemic.

I think we all can agre your GPU needs a serious upgrade.

Btw, I also do not trust Rosewill. It's not the worst, but it's worse than "decent".
  6. dalauder said:
    I third the OC the CPU and spend it on the GPU. Honestly, I think the Phenom II x6 1045T would be worse than the 720 BE since it's not unlocked and only BF3 uses more than 4 threads.

Does your CPU unlock? How high does it OC? Pick up an $18 Hyper 212+ (make sure it fits in your case) before you get a new CPU. But, basically, that GTS 450 is pretty anemic.

I think we all can agre your GPU needs a serious upgrade.

Btw, I also do not trust Rosewill. It's not the worst, but it's worse than "decent".

I already have it overclocked to 3.7Ghz with the 212 at 1.46v temps never go over 50c

And for my rosewell, Its just newly bought when I received my tax income. Its a green series.
  7. Best answer
    Do you mean the Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200
    If so, you've found a gem in Rosewill's product line. Nice!: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-Green-Series-630-W-RG630-S12-Power-Supply-Review/881/10

Does your motherboard do core unlocking? I got a Phenom II x2 unlocked to a quad and OC'd to 3.6GHz (they don't always unlock). I'd expect an x3 720BE to be able to hit 4.0GHz with a Hyper 212+ without much fuss.

4GB of 1600CL9 is plenty for most gaming needs--only BF3 really has issues with that. If you're in any way budget limited, I have to suggest a 4GB (2x2GB) kit for $25 or so instead of a $100 16GB kit if you feel you need an upgrade.

Anyhow, it sounds like you're ready to put in the best GPU your budget will allow. Today that's either the $200 6950 2GB on sale on Newegg right now, the $243 7850 on sale right now, a GTX 560Ti for whatever sub-$200 price they're at or a GTX 560Ti 448 for $230 or so. In a month, it'll be the 7850 or the GTX660Ti: http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-prepares-two-more-gk104-based-cards--geforce-gtx-660-ti-and-670/15728.html
  8. Now I have one more question and thank you Dalauder, I'll look into them ones.

Core 2 Duo 8500 @ 3.1Ghz 8 Gigabytes DDR2 800Mhz NVidia GTS 450. Is that better then

Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.7Ghz 4 Gigabytes DDR3 1600Mhz NVidia GTS 450?

Once this question is answered, mousemonkey you can go right on and lock this thread.
  9. Best answer selected by grippingline.
  10. The E8500 has similar architecture performance at a similar clock speed. However, dual cores struggle on many more games than triple cores and the 720BE also overclocks more easily and has the potential to unlock to a quad core.

The 720BE is definitely better.

The E8500 was great in its day, but that day has long passed. The 720BE can still have competitive life in it with a solid overclock/core unlock.
  11. dalauder said:
    The E8500 has similar architecture performance at a similar clock speed. However, dual cores struggle on many more games than triple cores and the 720BE also overclocks more easily and has the potential to unlock to a quad core.

The 720BE is definitely better.

The E8500 was great in its day, but that day has long passed. The 720BE can still have competitive life in it with a solid overclock/core unlock.

Thank you so much. (:
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build G.SKILL Phenom CPUs GPUs Systems Product