Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unresolved WINDOWS XP FILE SORTING PROBLEM - again

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:24:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi,

I'm stopping by again to see if anyone has resolved the XP sorting
problem described in this link.

I want to see *my folders* AND *my newest files* at the top listed
together as in previous versions of Windows.

http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm

Thanks,
Shawna
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:09:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Turn off show in groups then.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.uscricket.com
"Shawna" <tdwmpc@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:92055d0c.0411292024.1a55d332@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm stopping by again to see if anyone has resolved the XP sorting
> problem described in this link.
>
> I want to see *my folders* AND *my newest files* at the top listed
> together as in previous versions of Windows.
>
> http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm
>
> Thanks,
> Shawna
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:09:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Thanks for your response david. My "show in groups"
feature is off. Please see the below link at
http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm
I think it better shows what the trouble is.
Shawna


>-----Original Message-----
>Turn off show in groups then.
>
>--
>----------------------------------------------------------
>http://www.uscricket.com
>"Shawna" <tdwmpc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:92055d0c.0411292024.1a55d332@posting.google.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm stopping by again to see if anyone has resolved the
XP sorting
>> problem described in this link.
>>
>> I want to see *my folders* AND *my newest files* at the
top listed
>> together as in previous versions of Windows.
>>
>> http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawna
>.
>
Related resources
November 30, 2004 9:53:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Shawna écrivait ceci :

> http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm
> I think it better shows what the trouble is.

I'm afraid that you must rather use an explorer alternative instead of
waiting for a fix or at least a preference setting... That's I'm doing cause
of the annoyance you describe (and some others : the 98 explorer had some
others "by design" things we can't have anymore in XP) ;-)

Dependance of the windows memorisation in explorer mode and single pane
windows is one of the most annoying. In 98 the same folder opened in single
pane mode could have his own display setting, different from the global one
of the explorer mode. That was cool.

Google and key words "windows explorer alternative" will help you.

--
michel
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 10:11:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Highlite all your files "Not the Folders" then click on the "Date Modified"
header.
This is a screen shot of xp.
(450 KB file)
http://www.geocities.com/asbestosinhomes/pictures/untit...
When you get it set try Clicking Tools-Folder Options-View tab-and Apply To
All Folders.
You'll probably have to do this with each folder and probably again
when you change a file or folder.
You are right about the older OS's being the best sort.

"Shawna" <tdwmpc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:92055d0c.0411292024.1a55d332@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm stopping by again to see if anyone has resolved the XP sorting
> problem described in this link.
>
> I want to see *my folders* AND *my newest files* at the top listed
> together as in previous versions of Windows.
>
> http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm
>
> Thanks,
> Shawna
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 10:24:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Dear Howdy :o \,

Your suggestion sounded promising. Thanks for the idea.
However, highlighting the files has no effect on sorting
that I can tell. The folders are put either at the top or
at the bottom next to the oldest files in both cases. I
want the folders at the top with the newest files next to
them as windows explorer used to do it.

If this can be obtained, as it was in the old days, it
would reduce much searching for files. For people that
work with many files day in and day out, this is a big
deal. We just want to locate our most recent files
without having to hunt for them each time. They should
display this way by default. Is that too much to ask? :) 

Thanks, Shawna
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 7:38:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Shawna wrote:
> Dear Howdy :o \,
>
> Your suggestion sounded promising. Thanks for the idea.
> However, highlighting the files has no effect on sorting
> that I can tell. The folders are put either at the top or
> at the bottom next to the oldest files in both cases. I
> want the folders at the top with the newest files next to
> them as windows explorer used to do it.

Not a solution, but at least a workaround could be to use Explorer in
its two-pane mode (directory tree left and files right). That way you
can see both your most recent files (in the right pane) and the folders
(in the left pane).

--
"Codito ergo sum"
Roel Schroeven
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 4:55:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Roel Schroeven" <rschroev_nospam_ml@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:4smrd.6353$it6.338041@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> Shawna wrote:
>> Dear Howdy :o \, Your suggestion sounded promising. Thanks for the idea.
>> However, highlighting the files has no effect on sorting that I can tell.
>> The folders are put either at the top or at the bottom next to the oldest
>> files in both cases. I want the folders at the top with the newest files
>> next to them as windows explorer used to do it.
>
> Not a solution, but at least a workaround could be to use Explorer in its
> two-pane mode (directory tree left and files right). That way you can see
> both your most recent files (in the right pane) and the folders (in the
> left pane).
>
> --
> "Codito ergo sum"
> Roel Schroeven

Hi Shawna, I just read through your webpage and you have my sympathies. This
must be very frustrating. After looking at your screen shots I checked my
own computer (XP Pro) and noticed some things about the sort order that
can't be seen from your screen shots. When looking in a folder with a large
number of both files AND a large number of folders, such as the Windows
folder, and changing the sort, you can see that when sorting old to new the
folders are first sorted old to new then the files are sorted below them,
old to new.

When sorting new to old, the files are first sorted new to old and then
below then the folders are sorted new to old. All of your folders have the
same date on your screen shot so it isn't obvious from that picture that the
files and folders are both being sorted by date modified.

Unless you can get into the program that determines the sort order and
change it so that folders are sorted before files, no matter whether old to
new, or new to old, you'll probably have to live with the system default.
But if you look at a folder like "windows" you will see that there are so
many files and folders there that no matter which sort order was taking
place, it's not probable that the recent folders and recently changed files
will appear together in the screen. In other words, if you scroll down to
where the files end and the folders begin (in the old to new sort) you'll
see very old files on top of brand new folders. If you reverse the sort and
again scroll down to where folders meet files, although folders are now on
top, where the folder list meets the file list you have very new folders on
top of very old files.

To get the result you seem to be after, with new files next to new folders,
the system would have to just sort everything in the folder, without keeping
files with files and folders with folders, but intermixing them all
together.

I have a suggestion I didn't see anyone else make to you. Why not create a
new folder, subfolder if you will, and move your most frequently used files
and folders into it. Then you wouldn't have to scroll to see them all in one
window. The only place this might not work would be if some program is also
using that file. In that case, moving it to a new folder might keep the
program from being able to find it.

Food for thought, perhaps.

Larry Davis
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 12:47:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Shawna,

I am having a similar problem. Not restricted to Windows XP though...

This affects 1 server only. Files and folders are displayed together, which
makes it very difficult to sort and find the file you are after...

see http://www.stanthorpe.qld.gov.au/nathand/shot1.jpg

"Shawna" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm stopping by again to see if anyone has resolved the XP sorting
> problem described in this link.
>
> I want to see *my folders* AND *my newest files* at the top listed
> together as in previous versions of Windows.
>
> http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm
>
> Thanks,
> Shawna
>
January 5, 2005 4:21:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

What worker for me is to open up a folder and with the views set to
details, hold the control key down and click "Name"

Hope it helps

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:47:07 -0800, "NathanD"
<NathanD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Shawna,
>
>I am having a similar problem. Not restricted to Windows XP though...
>
>This affects 1 server only. Files and folders are displayed together, which
>makes it very difficult to sort and find the file you are after...
>
>see http://www.stanthorpe.qld.gov.au/nathand/shot1.jpg
>
>"Shawna" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm stopping by again to see if anyone has resolved the XP sorting
>> problem described in this link.
>>
>> I want to see *my folders* AND *my newest files* at the top listed
>> together as in previous versions of Windows.
>>
>> http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawna
>>
January 7, 2005 3:40:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Incorrect Sort Order in Windows Explorer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q318872

The sorting method is changed in Windows XP. The method that is used for
sorting is described at the following MSDN Web site: StrCmpLogicalW Function

Change the Sort Order Back to W2K Style (Line 107)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Sort All by Alphabet - Start Menu and Fav's (Line 196)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com


"Dan" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
news:fvfmt0dvsokbg3igp17k37tkk838lpoat5@4ax.com...
> What worker for me is to open up a folder and with the views set to
> details, hold the control key down and click "Name"
>
> Hope it helps
>
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:47:07 -0800, "NathanD"
> <NathanD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Shawna,
>>
>>I am having a similar problem. Not restricted to Windows XP though...
>>
>>This affects 1 server only. Files and folders are displayed together,
>>which
>>makes it very difficult to sort and find the file you are after...
>>
>>see http://www.stanthorpe.qld.gov.au/nathand/shot1.jpg
>>
>>"Shawna" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm stopping by again to see if anyone has resolved the XP sorting
>>> problem described in this link.
>>>
>>> I want to see *my folders* AND *my newest files* at the top listed
>>> together as in previous versions of Windows.
>>>
>>> http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Shawna
>>>
>
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:28:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi Shawna,

Did you find any solution?
Like you I'm trying to solve the problem for quite a while.

Thanks, Blueskys

"Shawna" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm stopping by again to see if anyone has resolved the XP sorting
> problem described in this link.
>
> I want to see *my folders* AND *my newest files* at the top listed
> together as in previous versions of Windows.
>
> http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm
>
> Thanks,
> Shawna
>
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:49:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Doug Know answered this question back on 9/11/03. I tested it out on both
WinXP SP2 and Win2k3 SP1, and as he stated, as long as the "Show Groups"
item is not checked, the folders stay at the top regardless of which column
is used to sort on - quote:

"Right click in a blank area of the right pane of the Explorer window and
select Arrange Icons and make sure that Show in Groups is not checked."

Link to his post is as follows:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-485516.php


--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"Blueskys" <Blueskys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6FBFE2CB-6A2E-4851-895B-4664CDD5C1B3@microsoft.com...
> Hi Shawna,
>
> Did you find any solution?
> Like you I'm trying to solve the problem for quite a while.
>
> Thanks, Blueskys
>
> "Shawna" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm stopping by again to see if anyone has resolved the XP sorting
>> problem described in this link.
>>
>> I want to see *my folders* AND *my newest files* at the top listed
>> together as in previous versions of Windows.
>>
>> http://www.scn.org/~bb523/Screenshots.htm
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawna
>>
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:11:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I really sympathize with your effort. I was frustrated due to the same
problem... and many people not understanding my point. Until today.

I FOUND A SOLUTION.

Well, it is a partial solution, but it healed my headaches.

Unfortunately, I could not fix Windows Explorer to behave like in
Windows 95/98/Me. But who cares for Windows Explorer when there are so
many File Management program alternatives, which are much much better?

I found a solution for common dialogs, which have the same behavior as
Windows Explorer - the dialogs you use in MS Word/Excel for File Open,
Save, and Save as... operations.

The miracle is called FILE-EX and it is produced by some CottonWood
Software Company (http://www.cottonwoodsw.com/). In its configuration,
you can choose to "Keep folders on top", and this delivers what you, I,
and many other desire the most.

Unfortunately, it is a paid program (shareware), and has some
insufficiencies too, but I can really live with that.

There is one other interesting simple common dialogs enhancer called
OpenWide (http://lingo.atspace.com/). This is a freeware program. I am
just trying to convince its author to implement the same feature
FILE-EX has. I hope I will succeed.


--
El Rey
!