Closed Solved

How do i oc my HD 5870

i currently have a power colour Hd 5870 with arctic cool 5870 extreme cooler.(replacement due to fan fail on the stock cooler)
it s absolutely silent up to 100 percent fan speed and maxes out at 43'c (furmark 3-5 runs) so it seems like i have some major headroom for a good size oc... currently on stock 850/1200 gpu/mem settings...
what i want to now is how far will i be able to get this (ballpark) 5% or more is what im aiming for but these cards supposedly give very little with stock volts.
whats the optimum voltages to use to get a decent stable oc.

im running it off an ex58-ud5 motherboard which is a good board for overclocking my i7 i have so id like to see if its just as good for the gfx card, and an 850w toughpower psu
what tools do i need and where do i start with em...

thanx for your time so far ;)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 5870
  1. Best answer
    Hello.
    I have a XFX5970 BE with that kind cooler and is excellent. The only problem at least what i have face it was that the VDCC(Voltage contoller) cooling is BAD and i mean BAD with that cooler. In order to get some more juice out of your card you need to increase the voltage a little and by the time you start doing this you will see your VDCC reaching 90-100 degrees Celsius (120 is the limit for mine). If really need to boost that think with safety use water cooling and read a lot guides around the net a lot of people have already try it some with success and some with failures. Good luck and boost that think. (Post some pics). :bounce:
  2. Use MSI afterburner and try 950 Mhz, test with furmark, check temperatures, etc. If it's stable good.

Do a very little bit of voltage adjustments, then try 1Ghz, monitor temperatures, run furmark, etc. When it's stable you're good.

Basically overclocking differs from system-to-systems, but for basic ideas these are what you should be looking at.
  3. Best answer selected by HEXiT.
  4. yep vddc is toping out at 100 already which is way higher than i thought it would be... im also getting some snap and crackle comming from the pcb as it expends so thats not good... looks like im gonna have to give this a miss...
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Cooling HD Graphics