Sign in with
Your question

PC Build for a Client What do you think

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2012 1:29:05 PM

Just ordered these parts and getting ready to assemble them in a few days...what do you guys think

ASUS ENGTX560 TI DC2 TOP/2DI/2GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LG Black 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

ASRock X79 EXTREME7 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

hec Zephyr MX 750 750W Peak Output ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Black SATA

COOLER MASTER COSMOS II RC-1200-KKN1 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I hope my customer likes it....what do you guys think....oh by the way, I have heard an earful about the over priced cpu and better graphics but this is what the customer and I settled on.

More about : build client

April 30, 2012 1:31:19 PM

Get rid of that PSU ASAP!!!
April 30, 2012 1:31:56 PM

Pezcore27 said:
Get rid of that PSU ASAP!!!

Why?
Related resources
April 30, 2012 1:33:07 PM

I read a lot of reviews and got mostly great things about it...they all cant be wrong.
April 30, 2012 1:44:11 PM

Why do you want to have two optical drives? You can have a blu-ray combo drive that can read/burn blu-ray and DVD/CDs.
April 30, 2012 1:45:50 PM

Cheap PSU's generally don't die a slow death. The best way to put it is that they go down quickly, usually on fire, and take at least 1 or 2 components with them. Never cheap out on a power supply. Stick with the brand names! Antec, Corsair, Seasonic. The power supply is the MOST important part of a PC, do not cheap out on it

I've been building PCs for 10 years I have seen some power supplies explode, I have never had an Antec, or Corsair power supply explode (I have never bought a seasonic so don't assume I've seen one explode) Trust the people of this forum. we know what we are talking about, buy a new one so it comes just around when your other parts do or run out to a retailer like Fry's or Microcenter if you have one near you, and return the no name brand one. Trust us we aren't trying to make your life difficult, we just have more experience on the subject and want to help!
April 30, 2012 1:51:03 PM

HEC is not well known for building solid PSU's. Google the make and model of the PSU you are looking at buying. If all you are getting is shopping reviews, than look at something else. Try to find a legitimate site that did a breakdown of the model and see if it produces clean wattage, ample volts on the 12v rail(s), efficiency, etc.

After calculating, you are currently around 550w, so the PSU is a little overkill, not to mention from a less credible source. You can should look for a better quality PSU from Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, PC Power & Cooling for example.

Antec Earthwatts 650 - 64.99

This would be an excellent PSU that would more than power your system.
April 30, 2012 1:54:56 PM

jomoreb said:
I read a lot of reviews and got mostly great things about it...they all cant be wrong.

It is one thing to put a cheap CPU in your own machine where you are the one that it affects, and quite another thing to put crap into someone else's PC (especially when you are getting paid to do it) where it may hurt a project or their hardware. I am sure the PSU may work quite well, but I would not be willing to try it on a build for someone else unless I have had a history of several years of them working well in my own equipment, and at least one failure where I know what their customer service is like. Also, if a HDD/SSD/CPU/Mobo/CD/DVD/GPU/Sound card dies then it merely dies and is easily replaced. When a PSU dies then you want a high quality PSU that has protection from taking other parts out with it, or preferably one that will not die at all.

Just trust us, the PSU is the one part you never want to go cheap on as it rarely ends well.
April 30, 2012 1:59:24 PM

certainly appreciate the advice....you guys do make a good point...I was looking at reviews from people who purchased it.
April 30, 2012 2:13:58 PM

Obviously the guy has a decent budget, so look for something with an 80+ Gold or Platnum rating. Also, as mentioned by Pezcore27, you only need 550W for this build, only go with 750W if there is a serious chance at adding a 2nd GPU (opposed to simply upgrading the existing GPU), and even then you could get by with 650-700W just fine.

I feel bad for you, spending so much money on premium parts and then putting in an average GPU must be painful. If this is a game rig then it is going to be severely handicaped, and if it is a production rig then the money would be better spent on duel CPUs or a quadro GPU. Even moving up to a GTX570 for $50 would be a decent compromise between gaming and production, but the 560ti just sucks at both. Is the 560ti just a place holder until the 690 is available or something?
April 30, 2012 2:35:31 PM

If you can jump on the deal, this is the PSU i'd get:

Antec NEO ECO 620w Shell-Shocker - 39.99 (reg. 99.99)

Fantastic PSU for the price, but it is for today only and will probably sell out fast.

Since your client has a decent sized budget, I'd go with something like this if you miss that shell shocker deal:

Seasonic X650 Gold

I have the 750w version of this PSU and it is truly amazing. Best PSU I have ever used. Fully modular for convienient cable management, great efficiency, well rated, well reviewed, good warranty.
April 30, 2012 2:51:22 PM

Wondering why you are spending so much on a case and so little on the parts that matter more:

PSU
GPU
April 30, 2012 2:52:30 PM

jomoreb said:

[...]

ASUS ENGTX560 TI DC2 TOP/2DI/2GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory

[...]

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

ASRock X79 EXTREME7 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

[...]oh by the way, I have heard an earful about the over priced cpu and better graphics but this is what the customer and I settled on.

Yes, the cpu is overpriced, yes, the graphics is a /horrible/ bottleneck.

But why would you go with a triple-channel memory configuration for a processor with a quad-channel memory controller?
April 30, 2012 3:01:01 PM

Estix said:
Yes, the cpu is overpriced, yes, the graphics is a /horrible/ bottleneck.

But why would you go with a triple-channel memory configuration for a processor with a quad-channel memory controller?

how on earth did I miss that when looking it over lol
May 1, 2012 3:56:38 AM

CaedenV said:
how on earth did I miss that when looking it over lol

soooo did not even think about that.
May 1, 2012 9:02:00 AM

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you are selling Pc's to people,
You should be confident enough in your own knowledge and ability to select/balance good quality parts without asking people on forums.....
Moto
May 2, 2012 12:23:53 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
I don't mean to sound rude, but if you are selling Pc's to people,
You should be confident enough in your own knowledge and ability to select/balance good quality parts without asking people on forums.....
Moto

If I was building a machine for someone else on a new platform I would ask the forums here to give it a once-over to make sure I did not miss a memo on something that changed with the new parts... but then again I would never let my client decide the specific parts he wants and forces himself into a lobsided machine. I mean, if my name is going behind a product then I am not going to stand for that kind of crap and they can build their own machine if they think they know what is best.
... but then again I would not pick out a tripple channel kit for a duel channel setup either :p 
!