Sign in with
Your question

Antec VP-450 Dead on Arrival

Last response: in Components
August 13, 2012 8:49:17 PM

Anyone having issues with Antec VP-450?

Ordered from Newegg.ca last week. It arrived and was installed today. It replaced a 300 watt Bestec power supply. No indications that the Antec power supply was working. Re-installed Bestec and the PC is up and running as before. This is the second recent report of a DOA with the same model, VP-450. What gives?

Dave

More about : antec 450 dead arrival

a b ) Power supply
August 13, 2012 9:10:03 PM

That's what tends to happen with PSUs that cost $35 from mediocre brands. Never go cheap on the PSU unless it's going to be power light loads. Antec is also not one of the best brands you can go for, then again, Bastec isn't either.

If you using this machine for gaming or other things that will suck up a fair amount of power, then that Bestec garbage wont hold you over for long either.

I'd go with this $44 Corsair 430w PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:21:05 PM

Antec VP-450 is one of the budget priced power supplies that many members here are recommending. Here's a recent review on the VP-450....it was very positive. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-VP450-Powe...

4+ years on the Bestec....PC is strictly Internet browsing, general MS office apps, etc. Was hoping to get a new video card to do some casual gaming.

Dave
m
l
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
August 13, 2012 9:44:27 PM

DavidY said:
Anyone having issues with Antec VP-450?

Ordered from Newegg.ca last week. It arrived and was installed today. It replaced a 300 watt Bestec power supply. No indications that the Antec power supply was working. Re-installed Bestec and the PC is up and running as before. This is the second recent report of a DOA with the same model, VP-450. What gives?

Dave

It happens
I've installed several of them with no issues
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:51:20 PM

I am wondering if I had connected everything correctly....Bestec's 24 pin to mobo. Antec is different, 20+4 pin....I was following Bestc's color scheme for the wiring on the 4 pin.

Dave
m
l
!