Hello,

Just got my new Dell 510 laptop - it came with the Nortons internet security
suit CD (90 days expiry).

However, the Nortons seemed resource hungry and my system was slow. (Then
again I was more used to my P4 (1g ram) desktop.

So I dumped the Nortons - I reformated the whole thing - installed Grisoft
AVG, and added Spybot, adaware - but not loaded as background programs. I
also turned on the XPhome(SP2) firewall.

The system is running faster although I'd like to tweak AVG to remove the
background update programs.

But just wondering whether I should download Zonealarm (free version) or
some other firewall.

zulu

Go for free ZoneAlarm, and ditch XP firewall
..(IMHO)
Note: too high a setting on ZA may cause problems with MSN, (it did for me).
I now use the *medium* setting.

HTH :)

"Skydragon" <skydra@singtel.com.sg> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Just got my new Dell 510 laptop - it came with the Nortons internet
> security suit CD (90 days expiry).
>
> However, the Nortons seemed resource hungry and my system was slow. (Then
> again I was more used to my P4 (1g ram) desktop.
>
> So I dumped the Nortons - I reformated the whole thing - installed Grisoft
> AVG, and added Spybot, adaware - but not loaded as background programs. I
> also turned on the XPhome(SP2) firewall.
>
> The system is running faster although I'd like to tweak AVG to remove the
> background update programs.
>
> But just wondering whether I should download Zonealarm (free version) or
> some other firewall.

Interesting - I have ZoneAlarm too and have it set to "high". I have no
problems with MSN but I guess it's an individual thing and may be related to
other things that may be on the computer. If there are no problems with
MSN, I'd be inclined to increase the security level as high as possible,
bearing in mind that some other things may not work too. It seems to be a
balancing trick, doesn't it?

zulu

As you say. ....interesting.
I definitely can't make MSN work with the highest setting, but I certainly
agree with using the highest setting jf possible.

"Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
> Interesting - I have ZoneAlarm too and have it set to "high". I have no
> problems with MSN but I guess it's an individual thing and may be related
> other things that may be on the computer. If there are no problems with
> MSN, I'd be inclined to increase the security level as high as possible,
> bearing in mind that some other things may not work too. It seems to be a
> balancing trick, doesn't it?

Skydragon another useful firewall is Sygate personal firewall
(www.sygate.com) I Use both zone alarm and sygate (same pc just different
partitions and operating systems - XP pro and Windows Server 2003) and find
them equally as good as one another.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> As you say. ....interesting.
> I definitely can't make MSN work with the highest setting, but I certainly
> agree with using the highest setting jf possible.
>
> "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
>> Interesting - I have ZoneAlarm too and have it set to "high". I have no
>> problems with MSN but I guess it's an individual thing and may be related
>> other things that may be on the computer. If there are no problems with
>> MSN, I'd be inclined to increase the security level as high as possible,
>> bearing in mind that some other things may not work too. It seems to be
>> balancing trick, doesn't it?

They do the job asked of them for most people.. your statement is
meaningless.. if you had been in the supporting cast of the movie 'Babe',
the cat would have designated you as having 'no purpose'.. cats are rarely
wrong.. :)