PSU dilemma

Hello,

I'm having issues with my PC. It's an Arbico (groan) prebuild with the following spec:

ASUS NVIDIA GT 520 1GB SILENT PCI-E GRAPHICS CARD,
ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, CIT 1008 BLACK ATX CASE,
XILENCE 120MM REDWING CASE FAN,
Ace 500W PSU, CPU IS RETAIL, STANDARD HEATSINK PASTE,
2 x MUSHKIN 2GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM, INTEL CORE I3 2100 (3.10GHZ, 3MB CACHE) CPU,
SEAGATE 500GB SATA3 HARD DRIVE,
Samsung 22X Dual Layer SATA DVD +/- Rewriter,
MICROSOFT 64BIT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM

I run it with two screens which have their own power supply of course.

A few months ago the PSU died - just 3 months after I bought the machine (and after the CD drive failed too!).

I had to send the whole thing back to Arbico who replaced the cheapo Ace 500w PSU with a cheapo Ace 650w PSU.

The PC was working fine until a couple of days ago when it died again. I was doing some word processing and web use, nothing intense, when all of a sudden the power cut out. It will not switch on any more, nothing happens when I press the power button.

I checked the fuse on the plug, changed it, nothing. It is connected to a surge protector.

I opened it up and there was still an LED light working on the motherboard. This is what happened last time however so it could still be the PSU. I spoke to Arbico and they want me to send it to them for inspection. However, it will be at my expense -RTB - and cost £40 by courier.

For that price they will probably just install another crappy Ace PSU - retails at around £18. Arbico suggested it may be another part that is causing the problem by demanding too much power from the PSU at a given time. They want to test it but that's what they did last time and here I am again with a dead machine.

I can buy a Corsair 600w PSU for £55, or a new motherboard / new graphics card for about the same price, probably fans too. But I don't know which one is the problem - my suspicion is greatest about the PSU. I'm assuming it's not the RAM. I wasn't using the CD drive at the time.

I disconnected the PSU from the motherboard and other components and used a paperclip to connect the green wire socket to a black one - the fan worked on the PSU. I also read that it could still be a busted PSU.

I don't know what to do. I was certain it would just be better to buy a new PSU and all would be well but now I am wondering if something else is going to blow up any new PSU unit i buy.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have lost faith in Arbico and don't want to burn £40 on courier charges.

Thank you all in advance
14 answers Last reply
More about dilemma
  1. personally if it was gonna cost me £40 just to get the part i know is causing issues replaced with another sub-standard part, i'd just buy the damn part myself. for cheap i'd suggest http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/cmpsu-430cxv2uk.html is on most the computer parts stores & even in some high street components retailers, just buy from you favorite/trusted one :D
  2. Can you test the PSU on another PC? And can you verify the 24 pin cable is firmly connected on both ends. Check your CPU cable to and verify it's firmly connected.

If you have another PC just open it up and connect the cables to the CPU and 24 pin connector and see if it lights up; ask a neighbor if you need to.
  3. check your courty laws...sounds like you have a lemon. I would look to see if you can return the unit for a full refund and your 40.00 that you spent for sending the pc in for repair the first time. the issue i have as a tech is what other damage has those cheap power supply have done to your system.
  4. zguegxl said:
    Arbico suggested it may be another part that is causing the problem by demanding too much power from the PSU at a given time.

Utter bullshit. The PSU's they are sticking in your machine are either not functioning at the rated wattage (assuming what they listed is continuous power and not peak; crappy PSU manufacturers tend to list peak power instead of continous) or poor PSU design has left inadequate power on one of the rails.

You machine could easily run on a quality 350w PSU. Tell them to sit & spin and go buy a good 400w or so PSU (Seasonic, Antec, etc) with that money.
  5. +1 edogawa. amazon shipping and overall prices are amazing. newegg does his thing too, both very good techie havens.

BESIDES! for that system you are overkill with a 650w PSU. An i3 with that graphics card should be drawing about 350w max at full load on cpu and gpu. A 450w would be more adequate.
  6. smorizio said:
    check your courty laws...sounds like you have a lemon. I would look to see if you can return the unit for a full refund and your 40.00 that you spent for sending the pc in for repair the first time. the issue i have as a tech is what other damage has those cheap power supply have done to your system.

^+1
  7. azraa said:
    An i3 with that graphics card should be drawing about 350w max at full load on cpu and gpu.
    With a 30 watt video card, he might see a third of that
  8. delluser1 said:
    With a 30 watt video card, he might see a third of that

+1
  9. smorizio said:
    check your courty laws...sounds like you have a lemon. I would look to see if you can return the unit for a full refund and your 40.00 that you spent for sending the pc in for repair the first time. the issue i have as a tech is what other damage has those cheap power supply have done to your system.
    +1
  10. You can get an XFX Core 450W for less than the cost of returning the machine. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/450w-xfx-pro-core-edition-p1-450s-u2b9-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-fan-atx-v231-psu It's got more than enough power for our machine and is a very good quality PSu....that is the route that I would take.
  11. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Arbico won't acknowledge that the Ace PSUs they install as standard are actually crap. They do offer other PSUs but I did not know that the standard ones were such crap. They've offered to pay for half of the cost of collect/return so it would be £20. I am waiting to hear what they propose to replace it with before buying my own.

I take it the consensus here is that it is the PSU at fault, from the symptoms I've described.

I will check country laws as well, I think it's complicated by the fact that I've had it for 8 months so can't get a full refund in the UK.
  12. Update: they have offered to replace the PSU with this: XigmaTech Dual Rail PSU 500w (the Ace was single rail), if I pay £20 of courier costs - it's a £35 PSU.

Does anybody have any experience with the XigmaTech Dual Rail PSU 500w?

Thank you.
  13. Xigmatek is craptastic too. BTW they make two different dual rail 500W PSUs:
    1. NRP-VC503 that's mfr by Solytech. It's not 80+ certified, 15A/16A on the 12V rails, does not have active PFC...junk
    2. NRP-PC502 that's mfr by HEC. 80+ Bronze, 20A/20A on the 12V rails, bad voltage regulation and noise/ripple on the voltage rails. Review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=158

The only one that I would consider accepting between those two is the PC502. That being said I wouldn't put one of them in my PC. I recommend you spend the extra to get a good quality, reliable PSU and put your PSU troubles behind you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components